seed-train International Seed Train

How big was the entire package when it left the last destination?? Usually the bigger he envelope or box the more scrutiny they get at customs checks

How big was the entire package when it left the last destination?? Usually the bigger he envelope or box the more scrutiny they get at customs checks

I guess the bigger question is if they did open it, why they'd take it/toss it/kill it.

Have to wait for an answer from Ken, but when it left here it went out in a 8.5X11 standard bubble mailer. It was plump, but not conspicuously so.

Were there any fresh/dried peppers on board?? That would be enough
... that or some mad chilli head customs knob ;)

No fresh or dried peppers. I sent it out in an 8.5x11 mailer, slightly more plump than when I received it, but not horribly so.

I would rather it have fallen off the truck some place, than for it to have been snagged by customs... I put chili art supplies on the customs paperwork. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this down the line...

Here's an idea I got from someone on YouTube. Seed JET?! Everyone who wants in. Sends it to one person. That one person sorts it out. Splits it evenly Sends it to everyone. And it till be up to your. Customs whether u get it or not. As for the shipping. I guess u can do research and see what the cost is to send from USA to let's say Korea. Or Australia and you can send sasbe along with the seeds you contributed. My two cents.

Denniz

Here's an idea I got from someone on YouTube. Seed JET?! Everyone who wants in. Sends it to one person. That one person sorts it out. Splits it evenly Sends it to everyone. And it till be up to your. Customs whether u get it or not. As for the shipping. I guess u can do research and see what the cost is to send from USA to let's say Korea. Or Australia and you can send sasbe along with the seeds you contributed. My two cents.

Denniz

Do something similar on another Forum -- have +\- 30 members sign up for the exchange ( Once you get more than that it gets tough to get enough seeds for everyone ) - Each member packs 30 individual packets of 2 - 3 varieties of seeds so about 90 packs total for each member of 10 seeds +\- labelled with info on what variety is inside. Then they mail those in a single package to the member that is sorting along with $5 to cover shipping and repacking ( $5 pretty much covers the costs since local will be a bit less and international may run a bit more but overall it averages out - and leaves enough left over to buy a couple beers for the helpers that the one member has pack the return packages !)

The one member takes the packages he receives and then repacks and labels a package for each participant ( packages need to be received by the mailing date set ) that includes one pack from each variety from each of the 30 members (so 30 packages of about 90 seed packs) - then labels and mails the 30 packages to the members. (Of course this requires someone that is trusted and willing to put in the work to repackage and send the packets.

Doing it this way everyone gets a good variety of seeds from each of the other participants - everyone gets their seeds at approximately the same time and the shipping cost is only what it costs you to mail the original package to the one member plus the $5 for return shipping.

Do something similar on another Forum -- have +\- 30 members sign up for the exchange ( Once you get more than that it gets tough to get enough seeds for everyone ) - Each member packs 30 individual packets of 2 - 3 varieties of seeds so about 90 packs total for each member of 10 seeds +\- labelled with info on what variety is inside. Then they mail those in a single package to the member that is sorting along with $5 to cover shipping and repacking ( $5 pretty much covers the costs since local will be a bit less and international may run a bit more but overall it averages out - and leaves enough left over to buy a couple beers for the helpers that the one member has pack the return packages !)

The one member takes the packages he receives and then repacks and labels a package for each participant ( packages need to be received by the mailing date set ) that includes one pack from each variety from each of the 30 members (so 30 packages of about 90 seed packs) - then labels and mails the 30 packages to the members. (Of course this requires someone that is trusted and willing to put in the work to repackage and send the packets.

Doing it this way everyone gets a good variety of seeds from each of the other participants - everyone gets their seeds at approximately the same time and the shipping cost is only what it costs you to mail the original package to the one member plus the $5 for return shipping.

I'm in!

I wasn't involved in the last seed train but I feel something is amiss with no one hearing anything about what happened to the last package either sender or receiver . Did the last sender include his details?? Did they have a tracking number??

Me, too! :-) Let's make it on international level! You know guys, I have no issue to cover my shipping costs, since if I am ordering seeds from the UK, I am paying it anyways. In the age of Paypal it is even easier. I would not put any money into any envelope, you know...we all know. Those postmans are just like Superman, they have X-ray-eyes! :P

Balázs

It does sound like a very interesting idea. Thanks for bringing it up, JDFan!

That's a bit of work for the hub, but if it only happens once they can prep for it. AND if they know what's coming via list ahead of time, we can do a google doc (or something like it) that we could then print/cut to make things easier.

If y'all trust me, I'd do it once, just to do it. And since we already have roughly 30 folks, the numbers are right.

I might suggest just five seeds per packet to allow for more varieties that folks might not otherwise spare.

Otherwise, it sounds very interesting.

I wasn't involved in the last seed train but I feel something is amiss with no one hearing anything about what happened to the last package either sender or receiver . Did the last sender include his details?? Did they have a tracking number??

Trippa,

Sender and Receiver were both in contact with regularity here. There wasn't a tracking number due to cost, but I think this is a simple case of shit happens. I didn't expect it going to Canada, but I suppose customs is customs. One self-important person with a badge and it goes down the toilet (or to their home).

The bummer is all the cool stuff Cory_Huck and capsidadburn shared with us that's lost. They had added quite a bit to my stash. :)

If some Canadian shows up here talking about their huge new collection, I'm ready to go all John Candy on them. ;)

The bummer is all the cool stuff Cory_Huck and capsidadburn shared with us that's lost. They had added quite a bit to my stash. :)

If some Canadian shows up here talking about their huge new collection, I'm ready to go all John Candy on them. ;)

Don't worry I didn't see any big collection lol. And even less if John Candy's ghost is to haunt me!!! But I will help Jonh to find THE guard at the border hehehe!

Hey I had a whole brand new set of golf clubs go missing in the post here and even with a tracking number and multiple calls to the post service they couldn't find them!! A whole set of clubs in a bag in a box!!
Anyway 4-5 weeks later they found them!! So maybe there is still hope??
And remember that was from one city to another in the same country (9hrs roughly by road)

Back