• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Intro and grow log 09

I've been hanging around the forum all this year & thought it's about time I said hi & posted some photos of my plants. I've been growing chilis for 3 years & this year went a bit crazy with the number of varieties for the amount of space. I also had some fun ordering a load of leds from rs and soldered up my own growlight.

I started the seeds in paper pots made from wrapping newspaper round a deodorant can (like this)

This year I'm growing:
Aci Sivri
Aji Rojo
Andy F1
Cayenne
Holy Mole
Monkey Face
Robertos Cuban Seasoning (Aji Dulce?)
Rocoto Red
Scotch Bonnet Red
Serrano
Sizzler
Sweet Wrinkled Old Man (Hot Pepperoncini)
Tunisian Baklouti

I've also overwintered some Tepins and a couple of Fish Peppers.

Growlight
led.jpg

Chilis potted up & still under the light in a kitchen cupboard
led_on.jpg

Chilis now on my southwest facing windowsill (10 weeks old?)
04may09.jpg

Pretty sweet grow light. Been thinking about beginning to research to do a diy version. Definitely looks like it works very well. Welcome too by the way.

Welcome frokm Lake Constance, Germany!
Nice growlist and nice pics! Don't forget to post pics of all stages of growth and of all food you cook with the peppers! It's the unwritten law here! ;)

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks all for the welcome. The plants are continuing to do well in our fairly dry sunny UK weather. Except the Aci Sivris which are frankly rubbish - 4/30 germinated (0/5 soil, 4/25 paper towel in a bag)

10may09.jpg

Welcome Alistair, where in UK you from?
Originally Yorkshire, but been in London since '95

The growlight was fun to make, but the soldering was a pain - I've not done any since school & soldering up > 100 leds took ages. It's got 70*465nm blue, 35*640nm orange, 35*660nm red, 2x455nm royal blue 1W Luxeon and 2*470nm blue 1W Luxeon... I was planning to try switching colors to see what happened, but the plants grew really quick with them all switched on & I ran out of space!! :D

They're getting pretty big now, but will have to wait for a repotting a bit longer 'cause I've no time at the mo.
17may09.jpg

At what point should I stop pinching off flowers? (My feeling is pretty soon)

A little while since the last update & they've got much bigger (and more numerous :rolleyes:). I've spent this afternoon planting them in 7.5 and 10 litre pots, using up 150 litres of compost, 10 litres of perlite & 10 litres of vermiculite.

Starting with a nice little house chilli, 2gal pot with cayenne & sweet wrinkled old man
30may1.jpg

My fairly sunny windowsill with a pair of monkey faces, a runt of a serrano & a scotch bonnet which will get very potbound (I'm growing it to see what it's like, not for lots of production)
30may2.jpg

A couple of quite happy rocoto reds & a load of garlic
30may3.jpg

14 chilis, some strawberries, 3 remaining sunflowers (damn snails!), lemongrass, some herbs and a lemon tree
30may4.jpg

Hopefully this is c. cardenasii "ulupica", seeds came from Bolivia, a pair have germinated so far.
30may5.jpg

Good job there.
Looks like there's certain line the slugs just won't cross huh? That is what that copper tape is about right? How's that working?

The slugs & snails don't seem to like the copper tape & don't cross it (until it's old & weathered anyway).

The real trouble is that they're really sneaky and persistent so if the chili plant touches (or even nearly touches) something that they can climb up they'll take that route & the copper is pointless.

So the copper is a help, but nothing deals with snails quite like a size 12 boot...

Back