Introducing.... THE PIQANO!!!!!

We've been growing Piquin's for about 3 years now and this year we planted from pods and something interesting has cropped up ("crop"ed up, get it? Get it? bah). Apparently, one of the Piquin's had crossed with a Fire Serrano (at least, that's what we are guessing right now) and popped up a cross between the two. The true test will be the taste.

Normal Piquin.
pepper1xd3.jpg

New Type vs Regular Piquin (notice they look the same, all but the fruit that is)
pepper3zv7.jpg

Piqano Peppers
pepper2km4.jpg

I'll have to see if this strand is stable, but from what it looks like, Dave Reed and Jonathan Passow have now created an F1 pepper!

Imagine, a pepper as hot as a Piqun, produces as much as a Piquin, that tastes somewhere in between a Piquin (Sharp bite) and a Serrano (smokey taste), and is really juicy like a Piquin.....more details to come once they ripen....

Good stuff IGG - Crosses are a great surprise in the garden.

At the moment Im waiting on a Serrano cross Siam

And the bird-habs are putting out some really funny shapes. Also trying to do a Cayenne-Siam ... just to hear people try to pronounce it.;)

Anyone else getting some odd crosses?

Two years ago, my pequin crossed with my hot banana pepper. The banana peppers turned red and were a touch hotter, but it stopped there.

DevilDuck said:
Two years ago, my pequin crossed with my hot banana pepper. The banana peppers turned red and were a touch hotter, but it stopped there.

Did you try to sprout the seeds? I had no trouble with the bird-habs getting a 100% germination. They're still in pots waiting for spring warmth so I can plant out. I sent some on to chilliman64 who may have tried the 3rd generation already.

Anyone else getting some odd crosses?
I am actually getting what looks like siamese twin peppers on a plant which is supposed to be a purle bird pepper. Pods on the cross are about an inch long and skinny, where the bird are supposed to be short and oval. The neatest part though is definately the twin peppers. I will hafta post some pics tomorrow morning.

DevilDuck said:

Um, not to insult your pepperage or anything, but you do realize that most banana peppers ripen to red, don't you?

Yes, but these turned rather quickly. They might have spent a day at full yellow and the next red was showing at the middle. These were also much hotter than a normal hot banana.

The last banana pepper I had (same variety) not one of 'em turned red on the plant.

OH MY GOD, what have we crreated!!!?!?!?!

Dave and I consumed the first ripe pod off this plant today........................UNHOLY COW!!!! THIS THINGS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so hot and so sweet. I almost tastes like you are sucking on a piece of capcaicin induces cane (ie: cane sugar).

Taste: 10, Heat: 8.5

We are crossing our fingers that this strain stays stable.

bentalphanerd said:
Did you try to sprout the seeds? I had no trouble with the bird-habs getting a 100% germination. They're still in pots waiting for spring warmth so I can plant out. I sent some on to chilliman64 who may have tried the 3rd generation already.

not yet big fella, it's still a bit cold in Sydney - had our coldest day ever the other day and I'm still waiting on my heat pad. I have done a germination test on top of the water heater - moist tissue paper, 10 seeds, ziplock bag - you know the test. I've had excellent results despite the top of the heater not being all that hot! so far I've had good success with Bhut Jolokia, Yellow Fatalii, Naga Morich and Golden Habanero all having greater than 50% germ rate in the first 14 days. unfortunately the sprouts will not be viable as all test 'bags' have a large amount of mold in them, possible due to the warm/cold effect of the off-peak hot water service. I'll get started in another month or so - plenty of time yet!

imaguitargod said:

Dave and I consumed the first ripe pod off this plant today........................UNHOLY COW!!!! THIS THINGS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so hot and so sweet. I almost tastes like you are sucking on a piece of capcaicin induces cane (ie: cane sugar).

apart from a habanero/tomato (which I would call a Habmato or a Tomanero) cross I think your hybrid is just about the ultimate crossed pepper.

I have discounted trying to make the chocolate hab/peter pepper/Big Jim cross as being just too scary to think about (that would be the Big Chocolate Peter or if you use a Savina it would be the Big Red Peter) - imagine a foot long Lexington or John Holmes pepper!!! :shocked:

have you tried it on the grill yet Mullet? make sure you collect LOTS of seed because everyone will want some - me included! fingers crossed! maybe you could call yours the Ron Jeremy Pepper, though it's not a Cap.Pubscens so it probably wouldn't work...

imaguitargod said:

IGG Too early for you to send seeds ??:shocked:

chilliman I've got 2 seed trays outside since last week...and the Carob has already sprouted from 2 weeks ago...who'd want to be 1000 kms south.

chilliman64 said:
have you tried it on the grill yet Mullet? make sure you collect LOTS of seed because everyone will want some - me included! fingers crossed! maybe you could call yours the Ron Jeremy Pepper, though it's not a Cap.Pubscens so it probably wouldn't work...
Have yet to grill it yet. BUt I will!

bentalphanerd said:
IGG Too early for you to send seeds ??:shocked:
Yep too early. I need to make sure it's stable first...which will take a few months or so.

bentalphanerd said:
IGG...and the Carob has already sprouted from 2 weeks ago...who'd want to be 1000 kms south.

my missus has made it quite clear that she will never leave Sydney due to her parents being close by so I just have to make do with a short growing season.

Pepper Belly said:
Donnie my wife and I were married in Hillerod.

Oh, very nice, then I guess this means your wife is not from Germany, am I right? Well, great that you succeeded, and got the chance to see Copenhagen as well...:D

Donnie said:
Oh, very nice, then I guess this means your wife is not from Germany, am I right? Well, great that you succeeded, and got the chance to see Copenhagen as well...:D

I am an American she is German, no we didnt see anything about Copenhagen but the city lights at night from a distance unfortunately. It was very cold for July that year and we didnt take our jackets so we sat in the hotel sick......we only went on the lake with a boat, were the queens residence is in Hillerod.

hi Donnie - I actually meant that the Sydney growing season was short compared to bentalphanerd's 12 month growing season as he is 1000km north of me. 4 yrs ago I lived in Townsville which is another 1500 or so kms north of bentalphanerd (yes still in Australia) and I had chilli plants grow and bud and fruit 12 months of the year, no problems at all.

that is an interesting site, even though I can only read English there is enough of that there for me to understand clearly what it is all about. what a remarkable comparison to your growing season.

so this is peak season for you? and your maximum average daily temp is 20 deg C? that's not much warmer than what we get now at our coldest!

can you please translate these for me?:
Nedbor - rainfall?
Nedbordage
Solskinstimer

does anyone know of a similar site in English? thanks for this eye opener Donnie. how do you get your peppers to grow under such adverse climatic conditions?

Mark

imaguitargod said:

I think you have to confirm its stability by sending some seeds up to your Northern California Neighbor :D

chilliman64 said:
hi Donnie - I actually meant that the Sydney growing season was short compared to bentalphanerd's 12 month growing season as he is 1000km north of me. 4 yrs ago I lived in Townsville which is another 1500 or so kms north of bentalphanerd (yes still in Australia) and I had chilli plants grow and bud and fruit 12 months of the year, no problems at all.

that is an interesting site, even though I can only read English there is enough of that there for me to understand clearly what it is all about. what a remarkable comparison to your growing season.

so this is peak season for you? and your maximum average daily temp is 20 deg C? that's not much warmer than what we get now at our coldest!

can you please translate these for me?:
Nedbor - rainfall?
Nedbordage
Solskinstimer

does anyone know of a similar site in English? thanks for this eye opener Donnie. how do you get your peppers to grow under such adverse climatic conditions?

Mark

Yeah, Mark, I know what you meant...:lol: Just spotted a chance to dust off the old violin, cause it really is sooo hard for me to grow peppers...;)

Even though you don't speak Danish, I think you got the point - your winter is almost as hot as our summer and you get a lot of sun too...

And yes, Nedbør is Rainfall
Nedbørsdage is Rainy days
Solskinstimer is Hours of sunshine

The tricks to grow peppers here are:
- an early start (January-February and setting out in greenhouse and/or pots against southfacing walls late May to early June)
- growing "safe", early varieties, mostly annuums such as Bulgarian Carrot and Czechoslovakian Black. Although I do like to experiment as well, and I have had moderate success with baccatums and pubescens. Chinense varieties are diffcult to grow here, but may yield quite well in good summers...
- growing inside in window sills is safe too - you just have to pick out the right varieties - for me those are the ones that don't take over the house and stay relatively small, for example Orange Thai. It truly is wonderful to be surrounded by peppers.

Back