• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ironite is it safe?

I picked up a bottle of ironite today then got home and got online and found out it is high in lead and arsnic, just wondering if anyone is familiar with it's hazards.

Don't know much about it but I would find a better alternative. The lead and arsenic would be biofiltered out by the time it gets to the fruit but why risk it when there are plenty of good alternatives out there.

Greetings,

The study I was involved with several years ago utilized a pelletized version of Ironite and when the company was located in Humbolt, AZ.  I recall seeing a report that the liquid versions of Ironite had very little amounts of zinc, lead, and arsenic - below regulatory limits.  The historical Ironite company closed a few years ago and somebody purchased the name rights and moved the company to Texas.  As far as I know, there has been no flags of concern for the new Ironite products.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Research Soil Scientist

U. S. Environmental Protection Agency
National Risk Management Research Laboratory
Land Remediation and Pollution Control Division

I am using the pelletized Ironite right now, actually. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT allow thise stuff to sit on your plants. ONLY apply to your soil!!

I'm thinking of using a very small amount in my Pro Mix containers to add some micros. I saw the warnings too so I'm going to go very light and dump the rest on the lawn. I've used it on citrus before and it appeared to work well.

Any recommendations?

I haven't used either of these, but they also supply some micros
Azomite
Scotts MicroMax

The only reason I'm looking at Ironite and the others is that I have some old Osmocote sitting around that only has NPK. I'm trying to use up all my stockpiled materials this year and moving to a more organic gardening style.

I'm thinking of using a very small amount in my Pro Mix containers to add some micros. I saw the warnings too so I'm going to go very light and dump the rest on the lawn. I've used it on citrus before and it appeared to work well.

I also emailed the ironite company last night and have heard nothing back, which irritates me, they maybe getting the receipt and the rest of the bottle mailed back to them for refund. Strictly because of my concerns and lack of service.

Back