• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is It True

I recently read in a magazine that an egg in the soil will help fetilize, is this true if soo could i just crack an egg and put it on the soil and water it in?

An egg? Egg shells I've heard of, but never a whole egg. I would be afraid that it could attract rats, mice, dogs etc.

Noshownate said:
I recently read in a magazine that an egg in the soil will help fetilize, is this true if soo could i just crack an egg and put it on the soil and water it in?

Not directly it wont, it will feed the soil microbes which might release nurtients into the soil the plant can use.

It's no different than putting a small amount of sugar in the soil or milk, though the latter will directly give calcium.

This is how compost piles work, the microbes break down the organic matter into something the plants can use directly.

You probably dont want to just crack an egg right on the topsoil, it wont get into the soil very well.

It would be better to mix the egg into the soil, shell and all, like you are making batter. Then use the soil for whatever.

One of the best "kitchen food" items you can put in your soil is dry milk (powdered milk). It will give the plants calcium, and the soil microbes food, all without messing with the pH too much.

RichardK said:
One of the best "kitchen food" items you can put in your soil is dry milk (powdered milk). It will give the plants calcium, and the soil microbes food, all without messing with the pH too much.

I love this forum so much for stuff like this. I had never even thought of that before.

/brb, store

egg shells that r dried and hand crushed ( not to crusshed ) not only will fertilize the soil. But this prevents snails , i was told, and those lil buggers havent had a bite of my bhut since.

I use egg shells in most of my plant containers. I crush them up pretty good with a hammer handle as a pestle. Egg shells dry fairly quickly, one less thing to go in the trash.

I add a little water to my shells, puree in the blender, then spread on a cookie sheet to dry. I figure the smaller the particle the sooner it will break down sufficiently for plant use.
EggShells.jpg

I just put water on my plants and give them sun shine and that seems to work pretty good......Other peoples results may vary!!!

:P

RichardK said:
Not directly it wont, it will feed the soil microbes which might release nurtients into the soil the plant can use.

It's no different than putting a small amount of sugar in the soil or milk, though the latter will directly give calcium.

This is how compost piles work, the microbes break down the organic matter into something the plants can use directly.

You probably dont want to just crack an egg right on the topsoil, it wont get into the soil very well.

It would be better to mix the egg into the soil, shell and all, like you are making batter. Then use the soil for whatever.

Is this something you can do regularly, as a preventative measure, or is it purely restorative?

Back