• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It hurts so Good

Hi everyone.
read a really cool comment posted after I shared I was fearful of the higher end hot peppers.
You know the ones at the "TOP-A-THE-SCALE".
Reason I liked it was that when I watch people eating Bhut J's, Scorpions, Naga's, etc. I think to myself, "I wonder what thats really like.
So, If you're up for it. Explain why you like (or love) the burn. Might be the taste too (of course).
Heres why I like it: Mind you, I have'nt been eating peppers for too long (family eating habits I guess).

Theres a question at the end. If anything please share your thoughts.

Hottest pepper Scotch Bonnet many years ago: Stung my lips and tounge. I liked the tingle after the panic attack and sweats. The build up to the bite was good too. Adrenaline rush..heart beating faster..fully aware of my suroundings. similar to jumping off something really high into the river.
Since then, its been Habs and Jalopenos. the Habs give me that stingy sensation I like, however am looking for something a little sweeter with the same sting. Any ideas?

I have always had my own silly scale of hottness,
1 warm..most peppers..
2 Hiccups!! Tabasco and such,
3 Forehead sweats! Chocolate Habs and such
4 Hair sweats!!Only Bhuts have done this to me,and I cant get enough!
Got alot of new "to me" superhots going this year ,I cant wait to taste them all!
Kevin

Orange Habanero is the hottest I've had; I am addicted to them when I have them. Before I left the states I usually had them every day. I looked for excuses to eat them and arranged my meals to incorporate them. Why?
Endorphens! Flavor! High! :woohoo:

Oh, I forgot; the burn. For me, the burn is intense, but after the first few bites it doesn't get any worse and the flavor is so great it's just part of the rush of endorphens. Addict, I am I am! :crazy:

I just love a good solid all-over burn, especially the back of the throat burns that really linger for a while. I like to inhale/exhale and feel like I'm breathing fire. And the endorphin rush at the end feels great. Add the flavor in there, and it's awesome. The hottest I've tried so far is the orange habanero though.

Things I don't like:
-I get WICKED hiccups; often need to get something to wash it down so I don't puke (but never milk, because I don't want to lessen the burn)
-I often get pain (not really a burn) up in my ears for some reason, and it's not pleasant

Both of the above happen most with habaneros, but occasionally I'll get a wicked tabasco pepper that mildly invokes one or both of the negative responses. Really, I think I've got to the point where the burn is not near as bad as those two side effects... hopefully I eventually am able to avoid those so I have nothing in my way of enjoying whole peppers.

Oh, and I should note--it only happens when eating whole peppers. I can eat tacos or burritos with 3 habaneros or over ten tabasco peppers cooked into the meat and not have a single problem. Tacos with 3 habs is bliss... pure bliss.

I just love a good solid all-over burn, especially the back of the throat burns that really linger for a while. I like to inhale/exhale and feel like I'm breathing fire. And the endorphin rush at the end feels great. Add the flavor in there, and it's awesome. The hottest I've tried so far is the orange habanero though.

Things I don't like:
-I get WICKED hiccups; often need to get something to wash it down so I don't puke (but never milk, because I don't want to lessen the burn)
-I often get pain (not really a burn) up in my ears for some reason, and it's not pleasant

Both of the above happen most with habaneros, but occasionally I'll get a wicked tabasco pepper that mildly invokes one or both of the negative responses. Really, I think I've got to the point where the burn is not near as bad as those two side effects... hopefully I eventually am able to avoid those so I have nothing in my way of enjoying whole peppers.

Oh, and I should note--it only happens when eating whole peppers. I can eat tacos or burritos with 3 habaneros or over ten tabasco peppers cooked into the meat and not have a single problem. Tacos with 3 habs is bliss... pure bliss.

Now there is the word I missed; BLISS describes the experience exactly! :high:

These are good. I'll have to try experiment with more peppers to find that (bliss) (great word). I'm hoping more people will post so I can get right to the peppers that work for me.. Thanks for posting you guys...

I love the BUZZ. I just ate my first whole bhut jalokia. It was a small red one from my first bhut plant. The taste was great, but the high was even greater after the initial kick in the mouth hit me. The best legal drug I can think of. I wish the mid part of the heat would never wear off, but I guess that is why we eat more. I don't get hiccups, but I do sweat, salivate profusely, stick out my tongue, and jump around a bit with the superhots. I don't know how some of you guys can eat these superhots and hardly react. My daughter was telling me I would have the most entertaining videos after eating a bhut because of the ridiculous faces I make along with all the salivating and snot flying. Pure bliss buzz.

I enjoy the run up too. That anticipation and down right fear of how bad (good) this is going to be. I've eaten a piece of the 7 Brain Strain and I wouldn't use the word bliss to describe it. A damn small piece. I think panic is a good word. That's what I did. You walk around at a frenzied pace then try to sit and do something zen like to get through the pain. Doesn't work and soon you're up pacing again. It beat me down. Down down down. The bites of ice cream would vaporize as soon as they hit my tongue and turn into vanilla scented steam. Don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon.

I've eaten a piece of the 7 Brain Strain and I wouldn't use the word bliss to describe it. A damn small piece. I think panic is a good word.
I think the proper word depends on the potency of the pepper in question. I think I'd probably be panicking after eating a bit of a superhot too, heh. But anything within my range of tolerance (as long as it reaches a certain threshold of strength to truly be enjoyable) I would consider it bliss.

In the past I've had some food that was all-out hot, just a little bit above my threshold, not 100% enjoyable because of it. But the end rush was great. Overall, I wouldn't consider those particular experiences blissful either, but man, what a rush it lead up to! I don't know if my tolerance is going up or what, or if all the peppers I've had since are not as hot, but I haven't had quite the same effect since. Everything's been right in my range since then--sometimes on the low end, sometimes "just right," sometimes on the high end.

I still remember my very first habanero. Only a couple slivers, even gutted of its insides... that thing literally kicked my ass and took my breath away. Your description of panic definitely applied to that one. So the "real" description, I think, changes over time, as people try something hotter; once you've reached a heat level, you're no longer as afraid and it's a smoother ride. Until you try something hotter, and the cycle begins again... :onfire:

I'm looking to expand my upper level of heat tolerance with many other, hotter varieties this summer and fall (and winter, since I'll probably be freezing a lot). :hell:

i think my favorite type of pepper burn comes from really acidic sort of dishes like an Indian Vindaloo where the heat is all over your mouth, and it all hurts a bit, but most of the feeling is concentrated at the back of your jaw (not throat, jaw), right below the ear.

Best spicy dish I've ever had; a small Indian restaurant in Bethlehem, PA..

I spent the following 2 hours expecting the death of my stomach, but it never came. Meanwhile, my girlfriend wondered why I did such a "stupid thing" as asking the waiter to make it
"as hot as possible".

I'm mostly all about blending pepper flavors with food to kick then up a notch or three, but will eat new varieties to get an idea of their flavor alone and of course for the rush. I'm growing several different types this season in order to try different blends in sauces, powders, salsas and cooking.

bd1965, if you haven't tried a Datil yet, it may be the sweet heat you're looking for. It's around a hab heat level with a sweeter flavor. They're loaded with seeds for their size though, so you may want to remove the seeds first.

i was saving seeds from a topaz chili pod without gloves when my nostrils suddenly itches, instinctively, i scratch the inside cavity of my nose then suddenly i realized my nose was on fire. :crazy:

So far the douglah I grow is the hottest and taste fruit like!!The burn to me comes in waves from the back of the throat forward! The taste is to me the best pepper I have ever eaten!!

i was saving seeds from a topaz chili pod without gloves when my nostrils suddenly itches, instinctively, i scratch the inside cavity of my nose then suddenly i realized my nose was on fire. :crazy:

very good my friend! lol

I once got a little carried away blending in some very hot pepper powder into a barbeque sauce that I just poured over a burger. (Brian's blend I got from Patrick- think it had everything but the kitchen sink in it). Not only did I get heat that I wanted to back away from all over the inside of my mouth that increased after I swallowed it- I felt the heat go down- felt it hit fresh each organ it passed, with a corresponding warmth in the area. Then- then came the "bliss" -because, well, I dont know exactly how the pepper reached the place even very few men have touched, but that tingle has only ever been caused by one other thing.....now I just have to figure out which pepper exactly caused that............. :onfire: :dance: :onfire:

Back