• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding It seems I have my first sucessful cross

I thought I might try my hand at hybridizng this year and decided to make a "Large Black Piquin x Bhut Jolokia Red". I emasculated two pequin flowers and pollinated them with a paint brush covered in Bhut pollen. Now three days later I can see two tiny peppers forming. I plan do do the same cross in reverse as well and use the bhut as the mother plant. From my understanding I won't see much if any variation from the mother plant in the f1 offspring. Is this true? Anyway hopefully i'll get some cool plants in a couple years.

xX1al2uXy9LCn1pw6sHL8O8iw.gif

m8g4bkr656Wtt8a785BIxjVo7.gif

Gsr3rc6I5W6KalClm3zZCV8MZ.gif

OYsoHNoh8U7KEeN0kiM9IiuBP.gif

:lol:

You should feel lucky... made those emoticons especially for this topic. :P

come on you animals give him some room.

so dishie, knowing the first step is to make a cross, the second step is to make a stable cross. describe your next steps, to make a proven stable cross.

can't wait to hear what your plans are and how you are going to execute them. sounds like a good cross.

keep up the good work

I wish I took some pics of the process but I wasn't confident that it would work. So far there is not much to see. Just two baby peppers just starting to poke their faces out. I'll take some pics tomorrow though just to apease the mob. :mouthonfire:

come on you animals give him some room.

so dishie, knowing the first step is to make a cross, the second step is to make a stable cross. describe your next steps, to make a proven stable cross.

can't wait to hear what your plans are and how you are going to execute them. sounds like a good cross.

keep up the good work
Well I'm not completely sure of the process but here goes.
First I'll let the two peppers ripen completely before harvesting the seed.
I'll then grow a few plants from each pod which will be f1 hybrids.
From these plants I will select the two most prolific for harvesting seed.
Then I'll grow a lot of seedlings from that seed which will be f2s.
Hopefully these seedlings will show a lot of variation. I'll then select the plants with the most desirable traits and attempt to stabalize them through inbreeding, or back cross them with earlier relatives until I have gone through several generations of plants with the traits I desire.
I would appreciate any suggestions and insight you can give me on the subject since I'm new to this.

Thought I should give some info on my setup for any who are interested. I have two gardens. One at my ground floor condo that my wife and I share with her mom. We have a small backyard that unfortunately has a northern exposure. In spite of the lack of sun we have a pretty nice little garden. I have 9 pepper plants that are all in pots. They are one large black piquin, one red bhut, three Congo black, one aji limon, one douglah, one rocoto rojo and one unknown pube that a Vietnamese friend gave me. All of them are pretty small at around 18in tall. They are in 3 gallon pots. I also gave 4 plants to my mother inlaw and they're planted in the ground. One Santa Fe grande, one aji limon, one carib red hab, and a Thai dragon. Her plants are also small but all have a few pods.

My other garden is at my moms house. She has 2 acres and a large garden. There I have 37 pepper plants of various types. Those plants are much bigger and some have tons of pods. The largest plants are around three feet tall and atleast as wide. I have a lot of cell phone pics of various stages of my grow that I will post soon.

Here is the mama plant. She's a little "Large Black Piquin".

DannysPeppers003.jpg

And here's daddy. He's a Bhut Jolokia Red.

DannysPeppers004.jpg

These are the two resulting babies from this love affair.

DannysPeppers011.jpg

DannysPeppers012.jpg

You're not thinking you can cross two varieties the same year AND get pods off the same plants that year are you? It seems like it. The answer is NO.

This is the process I use for cross pollinating. Here are flowers on the two parent plants.

Large Black Piquin Flower

BlackPiquinLarge.jpg

Red Bhut Jolokia Flower
BhutJolokiaFlower.jpg

This is the Black Piquin bud that is about to be pollinated.
BlackPiquinLargeBud.jpg

First I remove the petals with tweezers.
DannysPeppers010-1.jpg

DannysPeppers011-1.jpg

Then all of the stamens to expose the pistil.
DannysPeppers012-1.jpg

DannysPeppers013.jpg

Here is the flower with only the pistil left.
DannysPeppers016.jpg

Next I gather pollen from the Bhut Jolokia father plant. I use a dampened paintbrush.
DannysPeppers005-1.jpg

DannysPeppers004-1.jpg

Then apply it to the stigma located at the tip of the pistil.
DannysPeppers017.jpg

DannysPeppers018.jpg

With any luck a pod will begin forming in the next few days.

I learned this method from Fatalii.net. Here is a link to their page- http://fatalii.net/g...id=35&Itemid=54

Unfortunately the first two flowers I attempted to pollinate both dropped off today. I'm not surprised considering it has been 100 degrees here for the past week. On a lighter note, I still have one more that seems to be developing into a pod and the tempreture has come back down into the nineties. The are also many more flower buds that are just about to open. I plan on cross pollinating several more to get a decent seed stock of f1 hybrids. Hopefully I get a few buds to become pods. Keeping my fingers crossed for now.

I am going to attempt to cross my Thai Dragon with a Jalapeno to see what type of monstrosity I come up with.

Also wonder if I could successfully cross a bell pepper and a chile?

I am going to attempt to cross my Thai Dragon with a Jalapeno to see what type of monstrosity I come up with.

Also wonder if I could successfully cross a bell pepper and a chile?
Sounds like a cool cross. There is a chart a the bottom of this link that tells you the compatibility of different peppers. The answer is yes you can cross a bell pepper with most chillies.

http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

So as you can tell I'm a noob but anywho on to the question. When you have a successful cross and then you plant that pods seed will it just revert back to one of the parent plants?

So as you can tell I'm a noob but anywho on to the question. When you have a successful cross and then you plant that pods seed will it just revert back to one of the parent plants?
Well I'm new at this myself but from what I've read, the seeds from a cross pollinated flower will each have different traits from both parents. One seed may grow very similiar to the mother while another from the same pod could grow more like the father.

Great pictures. Sorry I didn't read more of it. You obviously know your stuff. Tomorrow I'm going outside to play a bit of crossing. Some weird ideas went through my head. lol. They involve 7 Pot Primos with Black Nagas. :)

Chris

Back