• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

It's never too early to get started!

Sooo... 2022 season is over and most of my 2023 plants are already there - no reason not to start a new thread already! πŸ˜ƒ

See my previous glog... https://thehotpepper.com/threads/2022-too-early-to-get-started.75362/

While all my current plants are technically overwinterers, only a couple have grown through the 2022 season and are considered interesting enough to keep for next seasons grow.

Let's start with the famous Schneider farms SB plant, which will be going into it's third season in 2023. It currently doesn't look all that nice but that was also the case during the winter of 2021 so no worries here...

20221203 132021 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000376.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132038 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO250 P1000377.JPG

Next in row is my Scotch Brains plant...

20221203 132124 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000378.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132137 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000379.JPG

And then there's the Humble Servants Homestead (HSH) SB, which was also elected to stay for next season...

20221203 132244 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000380.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132259 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000381.JPG

Last edited:
It's never too early to keep counting ;)

I've not tried any Rocotos before, so I'm really looking forward to it. Picked up some Rocoto Aji Oro from Texas Hot Peppers, and just today received some Olive Green Rocoto X seeds from a Facebook trade. I'm planning to start these soon and let them get a head start inside before planting out.

And yes, don't hesitate re: the Datils. :)

Great idea! I'm hoping to have some seeds from my Rocotos this year. I'll definitely have non-isolated seeds but isolated fruit set not too long ago, so not sure if it'll ripen in time. I could send you some non-isolated Rocoto seeds if you want to spin the wheel of possible crosses, and if I have iso I could pass some along too (or instead). I have Ecuadorian Red Pepper from Hell, Rocoto Turbo and Rocoto de Seda. All growing well. Some ERPFH pods are blushing now and two are turning red, so that's about 55-60 days between fruit set and the beginning of ripening. Not too bad.

Is the Olive Green Rocoto x the Peter Stanley cross that also produced the chocolate x PS pheno? If so I have read that it's quite productive.

Nice looking plants and I'm looking forward to trying that Jeromin next year! The morphology of that HSH Scotch Bonnet reminds me of Allen Boatman's True Form Scotch Bonnet from years back. It was a really nice tasting pod too.
I had both HSH and Allen Boatman bonnets (among several others) growing this year. I have to say that the HSH does not remind me of any of the other bonnets when it comes to pod shape. The same is true for the papa dreadie bonnets which also have a somewhat unique pod shape...

Great idea! I'm hoping to have some seeds from my Rocotos this year. I'll definitely have non-isolated seeds but isolated fruit set not too long ago, so not sure if it'll ripen in time. I could send you some non-isolated Rocoto seeds if you want to spin the wheel of possible crosses, and if I have iso I could pass some along too (or instead). I have Ecuadorian Red Pepper from Hell, Rocoto Turbo and Rocoto de Seda. All growing well. Some ERPFH pods are blushing now and two are turning red, so that's about 55-60 days between fruit set and the beginning of ripening. Not too bad.

Is the Olive Green Rocoto x the Peter Stanley cross that also produced the chocolate x PS pheno? If so I have read that it's quite productive.
That's really kind of you! I'd happily grow any of them, but if pressed to pick one, I've heard good things about the Rocoto de Seda. (And it looks like that ripens to yellow?)

And yes, I think it's the same Peter Stanley cross -- I received the seeds in a trade with a grower from New Mexico that's active in the Khang Starr Pepper Lovers Facebook group. I'm happy to send you some after I get pods.

I had both HSH and Allen Boatman bonnets (among several others) growing this year. I have to say that the HSH does not remind me of any of the other bonnets when it comes to pod shape. The same is true for the papa dreadie bonnets which also have a somewhat unique pod shape...
Happy belated birthday, Marc! I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on the HSH seeds after I figured out the cost of shipping from Etsy, but now I'm second-guessing myself and may have to get some.

In any case, I hope your birthday was spicy and pleasant!

1729258152019.gif

Last edited:
You have been busy, Marc! Plants, pods and sprouts looking good!

You have been busy, Marc! Plants, pods and sprouts looking good!

Back