• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It's official, my plants are gone...

Hi Omri, I feel your pain (as a person that quite regularly inadvertently kills plants).

Daisy7117 is right in suggesting to heat treat your soil/potting mix. I have also heard that putting soil in the microwave for about 2-3 mins is good too -- just get a 2nd hand one tho', otherwise your kitchen may smell.

The last growing season here in Aus, my tomatoes had similar symptoms to your chillis. I was told it was "phtopthora" (try different spellings too) and that sulphur based fungicides may help.

good luck with the replant!!

RS

I've got Bacterial Spot on about 30 plants, most of them are stunted, I guess that's a side effect. I germinated my seeds in jiffy pellets and planted into new potting mix that had been bought in plastic bags and been allowed to bake in the hot sun for several weeks before use. I received a plant from bentalphanerd which hasn't been effected but several plants I got from rivmasta have been. I bought bhut seed from NMSU, most of those plants are effected, as are seeds from various seedswaps and those bought from other sources so I'm struggling to find the common denominator. they all got a handful or two of Dynamic Lifter (processed chicken manure) when transplanted and do not get overwatered.

I'm off to the local nursery today with some sample leaves. I think I'll be returning with some copper spray.

commiserations Omri - dude I feel your pain!!!

Ouch... it's like an epidemic.

Hey just noticed I have more than 1,000 posts and my title is "On Fire!". :O

yes, congratulations on reaching the ranks of "mega-poster". let's see if you can post some actual content in your next 1000 posts, eh? *only joking* ;)

Bacterial Leafspot Prevention/Treatment

This information on Bacterial Spot is from the University of North Carolina.
-----------------
Control:
Control is based on preventive steps taken during the entire season. Once the disease has started in a field, control is very difficult, especially during wet weather.

Prevention:
Seed may be treated by washing 40 minutes with continuous agitation in 2 parts Clorox Liquid Bleach (5.25% sodium hypochlorite) plus 8 parts water (e.g. 2 pints Clorox plus 8 pints water). Use 1 gallon of this solution for each pound of seed. Prepare fresh solution for each batch of seed treated. Rinse seed in clean water immediately after removal from the Clorox solution and promptly allow to dry prior to storing or treating with other chemicals. This treatment will likely reduce seed germination. Thus before attempting to treat an entire seed lot, perform a test using 50-100 seed and check for the effect on germination.

Prevent bacterial leafspot in the plant beds:

Avoid splashing water; spray with a fixed copper (Tribasic Copper Sulfate 4 lb, Copper-Count N, or Citcop 4E 2 to 3 qt, or Kocide 101 1.0 to 1.5 lb per 100 gal water). The addition of 200 ppm streptomycin (Agri-mycin 17-1.0 lb in 100 gal of the copper spray with a spreader-sticker) will improve the effectiveness of the spray program. Make applications on a 7- to 10-day schedule if spots appear, and one day before pulling plants.

Cautions
A. Cercospora leafspot of pepper may resemble bacterial spot and can be serious during dry weather. The above procedures will also control this disease. For accurate diagnosis, contact your county agent.

The addition of 200 ppm streptomycin (Agri-mycin 17-1.0 lb in 100 gal of the copper spray with a spreader-sticker) will improve the effectiveness of the spray program.

AJ, I understand that you are reporting what has been written, not necessarily recommending it, but something worries me about using antibiotics on food.... hmmm.

RS

ring sting said:
AJ, I understand that you are reporting what has been written, not necessarily recommending it, but something worries me about using antibiotics on food.... hmmm.

RS

You are correct. I am NOT recommending using the antibiotics on the plants. But, if a major university recommends it, I can not argue with them. I, personally will not use streptomycin on my plants, rather I will use the copper based "stuff".

Back