• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jacob's 2010 Season

Well, I finally started some seeds on Saturday. Couldn't wait any longer to get the new year started. Only the chinenses and a few wilds to start with, the rest in a couple more weeks.

the supplies:

DSC00745.jpg

sitting in their new home:

DSC00746.jpg

Nice and toasty:

DSC00747.jpg

Thermostat set at 85 F and varies from 83 F - 85.4 F. That is probably my best buy of the new season after burning up a complete tray of tomato seeds last year and nearly half of a tray of pepper seeds. Hopefully it helps with germination. I also really like the promix so far. It is definately the lightest mix I have used so far to start seeds in. Absolutely no chunks in it and a ton of perlite about the size of a pen tip. The proof is in the results, and if the seeds love it, this will be my mix every year.

Here is a list of what I have started so far:

7 Pod - Brain Strain - 3 thanks Nate
7 Pod - Orange SR - 3 thanks Scoville
7 Pod - Yellow - 2 thanks Potawie
7 Pot - 2 Peppermania
7 Pot - Chocolate - 2 Peppermania
7 Pot - Jonah - 3 Hippy
7 Pot - Primo - 2 thanks Patrick
7 Pot - SR Strain - 2 Semillas.de
Bhut Jolokia - 4 CPI
Bhut Jolokia - Chocolate - 3 Hippy
Bhut Jolokia - Orange - 2 Semillas.de
Bhut Jolokia - Yellow - 2 Dave's Dragon Dust
Bih Jolokia - 2 Hippy
Bih Jolokia - Improved II (lt grn 2) - 2 Semillas.de
Black Naga - 2 thanks Tristram
C. Galapagoense - 2 Fatalii.net
C. Lanceolatum - 2 Fatalli.net
Cumari Pollux - 2 Fatalli.net
Datil - 1 saved seed
Fatalii - 3 Peppermania
Goat Pepper - 2 Semillas.de
Habalokia - 2 Fatalii.net
Habanero - Carribean Red - 3 saved seed
Habanero - Chocolate - 3 Peppermania
Habanero - Harold St. Barts - 2 Semillas.de
Marouga Red - 2 thanks Potawie
Naga Morich - 2 saved seed
Pimenta de Neyde - 2 Semillas.de
Habanero - Red Savina - 2 Peppermania
Scotch Bonnet - Red - 1 Peppermania
Scotch Bonnet - Yellow - 1 saved seed
Tinidad Doughlah - 4 thanks Mister_al
Trinidad Scorpion - 4 thanks Potawie and Mister_al
Trinidad Scorpion - Marouga Blend - 4 thanks Scoville
Trinidad Scorpion - Orange - 2 Semillas.de
Trinidad Scorpion - Yellow - 2 Peppermania
Trinidad Scorpion - Yellow CARDI - 4 thanks Chris
Unnamed Chinense - 1 thanks Mister_al

I was able to find seeds for most of the varieties I wanted to grow out through commercial sources and the generousity of the members here. Looking forward to trading more in the future.

Nothing sprouted yet, but then again it has only been 3 days.:lol: I will update as progress happens.

Thanks for looking and Happy Growing!
jacob

Well, I got sprouts. Came home from work today and found 3 orange 7 pots and a trinidad douglah have sprouted! Hurray!

The pics:

Orange 7 pot
002.jpg

Trinidad Douglah
DSC00750.jpg

The season has officially begun!
jacob

Yeah and that's just the start. Will start the faster growing varieties in a couple of weeks. Probably around the second week of February.

jacob

good to see the progress! seeing the new sprouts occur is always the highlight of the day. Eight 7 pot varieties...wow!

1 Week Update:

I have a lot of sprouts now. So far the following have sprouted:

2 - 7 Pod Brain strain
3 - 7 pod Orange
1 - 7 pod Yellow
1 - 7 Pot Chocolate
2 - 7 Pot Jonah
2 - 7 pot Primo
2 - 7 pot SR
1 - Bhut Jolokia
2 - Bhut Jolokia Orange
3 - Bhut Jolokia Yellow
1 - Bih Jolokia Improved 2 (light green 2)
3 - Black Naga
1 - Datil
2 - Fatalii
1 - Habalokia
4 - Caribbean Red
3 - Chocolate Hab
3 - Harold's St Bart
3 - Red Savina
2 - Marouga Red
1 - Naga Morich
1 - Pimenta de Nayde
1- Scotch Bonnet Red
1 - Scotch Bonnet Yellow
2 - Trinidad Douglah
3 - Trinidad Scorpion
3 - Trinidad Scorpion Marouga Blend
2 - Trinidad Scorpion Orange
2 - Trinidad Scorpion Yellow

It looks like I have a 3 cotyledon leaves on one of my Marouga Blends. It is still too small to get a good pic. When it gets bigger, I will get a pic of it.

1 of my Primo seedlings still has the seed coat completly over the cotyledons. I have been moistening it in hopes of the plant pushing it off. Don't know yet if it can. It is not just on the edge of the seed leaves, but all the way up the seed leaves right to the stem. It looks like there is only a very small hole where the root and stem came out. But here's hoping. Only had 2 seeds, and I would like to grow both if possible.

I also had something I have never seen before. 1 of my Black Naga seedlings had the seed coat stuck in the middle of the plant. Every year I have a few to keep the seed coat on the cotyledons, but this time it looked like the plants grew out of both sides and the seed coat was stuck on the middle of the stem. I was able to carefully remove it without damaging the plant.

I removed the dome cover today since I had so many pop up yesterday and I tediously place little squares of saran wrap over the ungerminated cells to keep the moisture in. It is just laid over the top of the cell, so the plant will push it up as it sprouts and I will remove it.

Battery was dead on the camara so will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!
jacob

2 weeks after sowing:

I am up to 84% germination after 2 weeks. Everything is up except the wilds and the Chocolate Bhut. Hopefully they will start to show themselves soon. I have had 5 seedlings sprout with 3 cotyledons which is rare. I don't think I even had 1 last year at all. Not sure if that is a good sign or not.

Here are some pics:

Overall view:
007.jpg

3 cotyledon Primo seedling:
010.jpg

3 more 3 cotyledon seedlings - 1 red scorpion, 1 marouga blend, and 1 CARDI yellow scorpion:
008.jpg

and finally, orange 7 pot getting real leaves(front). 7 pot in back:
009.jpg

Thanks for looking!
jacob

kylestl said:
I'm having trouble with my choco bhuts too. Lots of 3 cotyledon seedlings pretty cool stuff! good job!

Not worried yet. I know that the superhots can take several weeks to sprout. Surprising though that all others except this has sprouted every seed planted, wilds excluded. I do have 3 seeds left, and if nothing comes up by next weekend, I will probably throw them in a wet papertowel baggie and see what happens.

Hey Nate, no complaints at all on the promix. It seems to be working great. Plants look real happy so far.

jacob

that is where I start my seeds is plastic baggies. Most stuff has sprouted but I found out the hard way that I have some seeds that are underdeveloped or old. Not my choco bhuts though. Mines also came from Neil.

Planted some more seeds that I bought and traded for. Still no Choco Bhuts up, but had a couple wilds come up:
Goat Pepper X2, Cumari Pollux 1. Hopefully the Galapagoense and Lanceolatum will follow suit soon.

Planted a couple of seeds each of the following:

Barrackpore 7 Pot
Habanero Double K
Bonda ma Jacques
Murupi
Ulupica, large
C. Chacoense - 2 strains
C. Parvifolium
CAP 1478

Also threw a Choco Bhut seed in a wet papertowel baggie just in case. Hopefully the others will come up, but figured better go ahead and get started in case they don't come up.

Thanks for looking!
jacob

I see you got some Barrackpore 7's Jacob, good for you.

Did the seed casing ever come off of that Primo seedling? I'm also having trouble with the Chocolate Bhuts. I've had two of six germinate so far and I lost one of those due to the seed casing sticking and the other one is looking very weak.

Yeah the seed coat came off a couple of days later. It is the 3 cot seedling. I heard they do not perform as well, but I will probably grow it out anyways to see what comes of it and save seeds from the other plant.

It does seem like the germination trouble is inherent to the chocolate bhut. It seems others are having trouble as well. That is why I put one in the baggie. I can control the conditions a little better since nearly everything is up in the seed tray. Difficult to control moisture now. Hopefully it will help.

jacob

Back