• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Jacob's 2010 Season

I figured it was time for an update. Some of my plants are starting to take off now, while others are recovering from aphid attacks. I have been checking the plants every couple of days and cleaning off the plants, and when I checked them yesterday there were no new aphids. I do have 3 choco bhuts to come up finally. I can't wait to get one. Most of my annums have sprouted, but still have a few stragglers. I put some vermiculite on top of the soil as a mulch to clean up the look a bit since I moved the plants out of the garage into the house. This has been an usually cool winter this year (for this area at least) and has been getting down to the mid 40's in there. The plants didn't like that at all, so I convinced my wife to let me take them inside.:lol:

Time for some pics:

7 pot jonah, 7 pod brain strain, generic 7 pot, 7 pod yellow, 7 pot primo, 7 pot orange, 7 pot chocolate, and 7 pot SR strain
DSC00844.jpg

Yellow Scorpion, Yellow CARDI, Red Savina, Orange Scorpion, Red Scorpion, Pimente de Neyde, Marouga Blend, Trinidad Douglah, Red Scotch Bonnet
DSC00846.jpg

And an overwintered Naga Morich putting on some new growth:
DSC00852.jpg

Thanks for looking!
jacob

Looks great jacob. Your over-wintered plant is coming back nicely. How did you over winter it? Besides cutting it back, how did you care for it? I have yet to over winter anything and am thinking/planning on trying this in the fall.

This was my first attempt at overwintering. All I did was keep them under a little spot light with a CFL bulb and water it every few weeks. Tried to keep them on the dry side and cool to keep it from starting to grow too soon. I am interested in seeing if it produces any more than last year considering I got over 200 pods off of it last year. If it does, I will be overwintering more in the fall.

jacob

Time for another update. I have potted up most of the annums and such and they are coming along nicely and should be ready for plant out in 4 weeks. Potted up 3 tray of tomatoes today after work and still have a couple more to do.

Time for some pictures:

Trinidad Douglah
DSC00858.jpg

Pimenta de Neyde
DSC00860.jpg

Fatalii, Bih Jolokia, Choco Hab, Bhut Jolokia
DSC00857.jpg

My Scorpions
DSC00859.jpg

More to follow...........

Wilds..........

C. Galapagoense starting to branch out
DSC00854.jpg

C. Chacoense starting to branch out
DSC00855.jpg

C. Parvifolium and Goat Pepper (C. Praetermissum)
DSC00856.jpg

Not a pepper but still interesting: Naranjilla (Lulo in Colombia)
DSC00853.jpg

This plant can take up to 6 months to flower. I hope I get some this year.

More to follow..............

Bonda ma Jaques, Red Scotch Bonnet, Yellow Scotch Bonnet
DSC00861.jpg

Time for some 7 pots........

7 pot: Primo, Jonah, SR Strain, Chocolate
DSC00862.jpg

Yellow 7 Pot, Red 7 Pot, Brain Strain, Orange 7 pot
DSC00863.jpg

The yellow 7 pot is absolutely huge. It has a nearly 8" wing span with the red 7 pot nearly as big. The orange is the runt of the litter, but is still a good sized plant. Most of my Chinense have roots coming out of the bottom of the 3.5" pots they are in and will need to be repotted into 1 gal pots in order to keep from getting too rootbound in the next 4 weeks.

Thanks for looking!
jacob

Started hardening off the plants on Monday. Started with about 1.5 hours on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, and will be about 2.5 today. My goal is to have them ready to stay outside by next weekend even though they do not go to their final home until the weekend of the 17th. Only 2.5 more weeks!

DSC00871.jpg

i'm envious of your plant out time. 2.5 weeks? that's great. man, you've got a tonne of nice looking plants happening. Any problems or drooping with the hardening off so far?

No drooping, but a bit of wind shear on a couple of leaves. Was a bit windy here yesterday. Overall, they are doing great. I think they are loving it. Some of the slower growing plants have started to take off a bit, including a couple that I thought were never going to come around.

jacob

Thanks man. I hope they grow great for you. I have 2 of the scotch bonnets and 2 of the mustard habs that I got from you out there sunning right now.

jacob

hey jacob, i noticed you started your seeds with a bag of pro-mix....where in greenville did you find it? i've been going to a hippie place i think called the "green thumb" on rutherford near the pleasantburg intersection, but they have limited supplies....where's your favorite shop?

Ciao Jacob-

Aw, that's so sweet of you to offer seeds for the Pimenta de Neyde for Duane. He did get a few seeds kind of on the late side so he started them right away and he's got little seedlings with maybe 1-2 sets of true leaves right now. I'm definitely going to follow your grow log to see what the future holds for that one!

Happy Easter!

hotenuff4u said:
hey jacob, i noticed you started your seeds with a bag of pro-mix....where in greenville did you find it? i've been going to a hippie place i think called the "green thumb" on rutherford near the pleasantburg intersection, but they have limited supplies....where's your favorite shop?

I had to buy it online from the greenhouse megastore, same place where I bought my nursery pots. Still haven't found anywhere that has it locally. Only thing I have seen is fafards which is good too. That is what I used to pot up into. I go to the Green Thumb often. That's where I buy my ferts., plus I am trying my hands at hydro this year. Probably a couple of small DWC to start with. I also go to Martin's Nursery over on Mauldin Rd near the old G-braves stadium. They have a good selection there as well.

jacob

Been awile since I posted an update, so figured I would go ahead I do one. I have started to plant out everything. All but a few tomatoes have been planted out, and about half of the peppers. Will be working to get the others this weekend.

A pic of the peppers with my little helper in the top left corner. She loves to help Daddy water, even if the plants don't need it.
DSC00894.jpg

Here are some wilds:

CAP 1491 getting second set of leaves
DSC00896.jpg

Purple Flowered Chacoense - Stunning plant. Leaves are glossy with a slight purple tint to them.
DSC00897.jpg

C. Galapagoense
DSC00892.jpg

a couple more............

Back