• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Jamaican So Hot Sauce

Man, what a great Throwdown this Hot Dog one has been! So many great entries to have to choose from. While I was shopping I found a bunch of good looking, fresh Habaneros and decided I just get enough to do my next sauce as well. So here's the list for the new sauce. For this sauce I'm using sourdough hooch to start the fermenting.

Red Habaneros
Sweet onion
Sweet Potatoes
Golden Raisins
Crushed Pineapple
Fresh Ginger
Lime Juice
Salt

All the above went through the food processor except the Sweet Potatoes and Raisins.
The Sweet Potatoes I cut into match sticks and the Raisins I just put in whole. Ok, so here are some pictures:

So I decided to use Sweet Potatoes for this sauce instead of Carrots. I was looking at recipes for ingredients while trying to decide what to use for the throwdown and I found alot of sweet potatoes being used.

4553582b.jpg

Not sure if these are Caribbean Reds or Red Sovina or a mixture.
49a2edac.jpg

00b795ed.jpg

All jared up and ready to work, this was taken about 3 hours after everything had gone in and you can see it getting cloudy in some areas as it starts fermenting.
3915f67d.jpg

I'm planning on letting this ferment for at least 90 days and then once done I'll be adding some more spices to it. I'll be updating with photos as the fermenting process goes along so check back from time to time and remember to go vote for your favorite dog!

Last night took a pic as I came in. At this point it's been just over 24 hours.

55a181ca.jpg

Wasn't planning on taking a shot this morning but there was so much activity going on that I just had to grab a shot. The sourdough hooch very quickly started working. I could see activity within 30 minutes of adding the lid. With all of the sugars from the fruit and the sweet potatoes there's alot of food for the hungry lactobacillus.

62eadb65.jpg

Note the movement going on inside the jar and how the volume has incrased with the fermentation process. Here is a pic I took right after I put it into place on top of the Fridge.

fb0faca2.jpg

You can clearly see the difference in levels between the 2 pictures. You can also see that Brownian Motion has been at play here also. Edible Science, ya gotta love it

Dang this is an active batch. I found a little overflow this morning.

d2d523bc.jpg

So had to improvise an overflow tray till it gets the initial fermentation done and settles in for the long hall

501f3cee.jpg

Oh, and here's a loaf of San Francisco Sourdough bread I made with the starter

26b4ef56.jpg

and it was gooooood too.

Very nice percolation is imminent... tell me more about this sour dough starter the wife bakes bread quite often and i would like to give it a go once i have a load of datils... But I will probably try with some store bought first. :dance:

Very nice percolation is imminent... tell me more about this sour dough starter the wife bakes bread quite often and i would like to give it a go once i have a load of datils... But I will probably try with some store bought first. :dance:

Very simple to make a starter. You only have to decide how sour you want it to be. The basic ingredients are :

Small russet potato
Small yellow onion (if you like more sour)
Flour
Water
1 packet Active Dry Yeast

Put the whole potato, and onion if your using it (don’t remove the dry yellow outside skin while boiling), into a pot with enough water to cook the potato down to mush. Once it is falling apart cooked put it, and the onion (now remove the dry skin and root) into a blender with 2 cups of the water. It’s ok to add water if not enough left and blend until it’s smooth. Let cool till warm and pour into the container you r going to hold it in. Add 2 cups flour and the dry yeast. Mix well but lumps are ok and they will work out. Place this on a cookie sheet or something that will hold anything that boils over. For the next 3 days every morning add 2 Tbs Flour and 2 Tbs Water. After the 3rd day just let it work and when it starts to settle clean the container if it boiled over any and place into the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks. After that you should have a good amount of hooch built up and be ready to ferment some peppers. You’ll only need a couple of tablespoons of hooch for the peppers the rest I mix back into the starter. After you have the peppers going it’s time to make the bread. This is a simple recipe I use for a San Francisco style Sourdough bread. It’s great toasted for breakfast or sliced in half for a Sub sandwich or a Panini.

Ingredients

• 4 3/4 cups bread flour
• 3 tablespoons white sugar
• 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
• 1 cup warm milk
• 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
• 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
• 1 extra large egg
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1/4 cup chopped onion

Directions

In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Add milk and softened butter or margarine. Stir in starter. Mix in up to 3 3/4 cups flour gradually, you may need more depending on your climate.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place on a greased baking pan. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
Brush egg wash over tops of loaves.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or till done as it may take another 10 to 20 minutes if you use stoneware like I do.

Cheers,

Now that will be a true Sourdough from wild yeast. Hopefully it will be good like one done in Alaska would be. If it turns out to be funky though you can make one the way I discribed above and it will come out good. It actually is a way to make a starter that came from an Alaskan book on Sourdough that a roommate from college bought while he was up there. Kind of a cheating method but it works. Let me know how it turns out. Oh and since you doing a natural starter you may need to let it work a while longer than I recomended above. Say maybe let it go another week before putting it into the fridge.

Cheers

Just a couple of tablespoons will do it unless your going to be doing 20 pounds of peppers or so. For the batch I made here I used a little more because of all the added sugars involved. It's easy to increase the hooch amount too. Just add more water than flour when feeding the starter. PM me if you have any specific question.

Time for an update. It's been 6 days now and it's stil showing alot of motion from fermenting. This picture was taken Friday afternoon after I got home from work.

0be58ea4.jpg

And this one was taken tonight

ea58238c.jpg

As you can see there's alot of change in the jar even after only 24 hours. More to follow, I'm going to try do it weekly.

Cheers

this is awesome. I didn't know you could really do this in a normal jar without an airlock. this is going to be my next venture.... i bet this stuff tastes so good.

this is awesome. I didn't know you could really do this in a normal jar without an airlock. this is going to be my next venture.... i bet this stuff tastes so good.

Yes you can just dont put the lid on tight so that the CO2 can escape otherwise you'll have a really nice mess to clean up.

Edit: One thing I really need to point out, and I appologise for not mentioning it before, is the need for sanitizing when fermenting. If you've ever made homebrewed beer you know that everything that touches it has to be sanitized and that follows here too. You don't have to run out and buy specialized no rinse santizers either. A tablespoon of non-scented bleach from the laundry room added to a gallon of water will do the job just rense well after.

We add salt to the mix to help prevent to badies from getting a start before the good stuff do so if you miss something it may not affect you as much as with beer wort however as the old saying goes an ounce of prevention....

Unfortunately there isn’t a Pepper Fermenting 101 thread on here but there are a lot of threads where other members have asked the How do I question before. If you are new to fermenting peppers here are some threads I would read through first. They are the one’s I followed to do my first mash and everything went great with it.

This is a great thread for a kind of step by step:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18451-jacobs-pepper-mash/

Ph is very important in Sauce making in general:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/1078-ph-level-tutorial/

Completely new to sauce making:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/1062-new-section-sauce-making-101/

2 more:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14238-fermentation-question/

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18068-fermented-pepper-mash/

Cheers

The fermentation has settled down some now and is not so agressively fermenting now. If you look at the bottom of the jar you can see a nice size yeast cake. Here ia api of the jar.

9ce240a4.jpg

Here is a pic of our friends the yeasties which make our sauces so yummy.

ff2a1bc5.jpg

Cheers,

Ok 4 days at the condo, and it was a light brown... and a cake like settling of the flour? Smelled waaaayyyyyyy more sour, last batch was kinda beer sour. big difference... Now the real decision, 7 days or so, mid 80's no mold, so do i leave it, or do i put the honey in the pot?!!! :crazy:

Let it keep working. Mine has been out in the garage this whole time. If yu set it up correctly then your not going to have any nasties to worry about. Mold is simple to take care of so long as you dont let it go too long, you just spoon it out and throw it away. The yeast that is working on the sugers in the mash have pushed all the oxygen out by nowand the air that is in the jar is CO2 now. That's why you can't seal it up tight, the CO2 needs to be able to bleed out as it builds pressure up. My first one I left out for 45 days. This one I'm planning on 90 days. So far it has been working for 16 days.

Flying out this morning for work so I may be out of touch most to the week. Have a great one everyone.

Cheers,

Back