• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Jamaican So Hot Sauce

Man, what a great Throwdown this Hot Dog one has been! So many great entries to have to choose from. While I was shopping I found a bunch of good looking, fresh Habaneros and decided I just get enough to do my next sauce as well. So here's the list for the new sauce. For this sauce I'm using sourdough hooch to start the fermenting.

Red Habaneros
Sweet onion
Sweet Potatoes
Golden Raisins
Crushed Pineapple
Fresh Ginger
Lime Juice
Salt

All the above went through the food processor except the Sweet Potatoes and Raisins.
The Sweet Potatoes I cut into match sticks and the Raisins I just put in whole. Ok, so here are some pictures:

So I decided to use Sweet Potatoes for this sauce instead of Carrots. I was looking at recipes for ingredients while trying to decide what to use for the throwdown and I found alot of sweet potatoes being used.

4553582b.jpg

Not sure if these are Caribbean Reds or Red Sovina or a mixture.
49a2edac.jpg

00b795ed.jpg

All jared up and ready to work, this was taken about 3 hours after everything had gone in and you can see it getting cloudy in some areas as it starts fermenting.
3915f67d.jpg

I'm planning on letting this ferment for at least 90 days and then once done I'll be adding some more spices to it. I'll be updating with photos as the fermenting process goes along so check back from time to time and remember to go vote for your favorite dog!

Back