• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jamison's "Red Dirt Grow" PLANTOUT 5/4/14

It's that time of year again, although a couple weeks behind. I just arrived in Tennessee, moving from Wisconsin not even two weeks ago. The fam and I are all settled in and I'm officially ready to start some seeds! Being in a completely different part of the country, and growing in completely different soil than I'm used to, I still have high hopes. I'm sure I'll be able to whip a garden into shape in no time. I'm def gonna have to get out there very soon and till a large plot. Enough blabberin, I'll get to a list. I'll also list the seed source if I'm sure of where I got them. Seeds are going to soak in distilled water for 20-24 hours starting tonight or tomorrow morning and most will be put into Rapid Rooters soaked in a weak solution of Kangaroots and water, and a few in soil with a heat mat underneath the germ tray. I have a few Manzanos sprouted already, a couple Rennie clones, and a White Devils Tongue sprouted and working on it's first true set of leaves. I'll try to fill this with as much useful info, pics, and hopefully vids as I can. Thanks for checkin this out!

Added 1/21/14:

Brown Moruga - PepperLover
7 Pod Lava - PepperLover
Pink Tiger - Denniz via Enrico
Yaki Blue - Denniz via Enrico

Annuum:

Hungarian Hot Wax - Grocery Store find
Serrano
Jalapeno "Cracked" - PepperLover
Giant Jalapeno - PepperLover
Urfa Biber - Buckeye Peppers
Bells > Red, Yellow, Orange
Goat's Weed - from my 2013 grow

Chinense:

7 Pots:
White - PepperLover
Yellow - PepperLover
Bubblegum - Bjarnes, CMPMAN
Primo - Pepper Lover, and from saved seeds from my 2013 grow
Large Red - PepperLover
Original - PepperLover
SR Strain - RFC
Rennie Red - Cloned from last years plant
Rennie Brown - Buckeye Peppers

Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw - Bakers via Fatalii.net
Chocolate Scorpion - from my 2013 grow
Red Bhut Jolokia - PepperLover
White Bhut Jolokia - Coheed
Bhut Orange Copenhagen - GaGrowhead
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp - RFC
Moruga Caramel - JungleRain
Moruga Chocolate - JungleRain
Carolina Reaper - from my 2013 grow
MoA Scotch Bonnet - from my 2013 grow
Bahamian Goat - JungleRain
Jamaican Hab - Walkgood
Habanero Cappuccino - JungleRain
Primo x Chocolate Hab - JungleRain
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet - AjiJoe
White Devil's Tongue - GaGrowhead
Red Habanero - Buckeye Peppers
Trinidad Congo Red - Buckeye Peppers

Frutescens:
Thai Orange - Buckeye Peppers

Pubescens:
Manzano - Seed Train (Arkennon?)

Love the prep work and the recent pics! You think the goats weed and yellow 7 will be fine in solos till plantout? I got some about that size but was considering 1/2 gallons.

I actually finished that goats weed you sent... It was fantastic! Just the right amount of heat for a wide range of dishes. The 7 pot yellow powder is very versatile... The primo is a bit mor aggressive... Tangy maybe? Either way I planted all the seeds you send. And an extra goats weed I may try on the balcony.

Happy growin!

GA Growhead said:
+1 on the fence. Totally worth it. I have the rabbit fencing. Tighter holes on the bottom and 2.5 ft tall I think. Keep the kids and dogs out, even though the dog will jump the fence and hang with me while I'm inside. She stays out otherwise.
My tiller if front tine also. Beasting it the whole time!
Hehe!  I been collecting some post Oak for post for the garden.  Gonna have to go to Lowe's pretty soon here to check out what kind of wire fencing they have.  Rabbit fencing sounds like it would be the best tho.  Lots of little critters around here.  The dogs in my neighborhood here are outta control.  The owners just let em roam freely.  On any given day there is at least half a dozen dogs running through my yard.   I'm keeping them Rennie clones in good shape,  and should be able to ship em out here very soon.  They're def gonna need a pot up once they arrive!

Trippa said:
Loving the baby photos ... Would have to agree the yellow 7s are great!!
What's the deal with the Yaki Blues?? Background etc?? They look great
Hey Trippa!  To be honest I have no clue where the Yaki Blue is from.  I did read something a while ago but don't remember at all :high:

Scarecrw said:
Nice job all around. I like the pink tigers as well. I see them on more and more glogs. Looks like the seeds will be spreading even more next year. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Scare!  Def gonna be some seeds to share off them things.  I know they aren't stable yet, yet being the key word.  Gonna keep two isolated and I'll be able to share some seeds.  If I don't remember,  let me know and I'll get some to ya. 

stickman said:
Anything worth doing is always a lot of work in the preparation stages J, but it pays bigtime at the finish. The nice thing about it is that once you've broken up the sod and compacted soil, if you take care not to pack it down again and keep adding humus every year it'll never be this hard again. Nice looking nursery ya got there too, and lots of Pubes... good on ya!
There is some truth in that Rick.  Yea next year shouldn't be a problem at all,  if I even do till it.   Loving the pubes.  Never actually tasted one yet so I'm really waiting on them babies.  Hopefully I get at least one of em to pod up this year.  Gonna put some in containers and stick em in the shade all summer,  or maybe even on my porch.  We'll see what happens with em!

coheed196 said:
Everything lookin real nice there Jamison. How are you enjoying this here southern life? I know you'll definitely have a much longer growing season which is always a plus.

We need to have a get together soon. According to the phone gps, we're 2 hours 4 mins apart or 118 miles lol. Once the season really kicks in, I really think we should man. What you think?
I'm totally down to meet up one day.  I'm not working at all right now.  Probably be better in the summer to meet so we can trade some pods and what not.  Even before that its cool with me.  Didn't realize you were that close.  That's awesome for sure.  I'm use to driving 2 hours just to get to work.  And then another 2 on the way home.  Don't miss that!  Looking forward to the longer growing season.  And I def am loving the southern life.  Everyone is complaining about the weather,  and to me its like fall or spring :party:   I'm sure one day I'll be whining too.  They all think this Yankee is crazy!

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the prep work and the recent pics! You think the goats weed and yellow 7 will be fine in solos till plantout? I got some about that size but was considering 1/2 gallons.

I actually finished that goats weed you sent... It was fantastic! Just the right amount of heat for a wide range of dishes. The 7 pot yellow powder is very versatile... The primo is a bit mor aggressive... Tangy maybe? Either way I planted all the seeds you send. And an extra goats weed I may try on the balcony.

Happy growin!
What up Adam!  I'm hoping they'll be alright for now.  Haven't pulled any out of the pots yet,  but by the looks of the plants,  they still have a little while at least.   If you think you should repot,  by all means do it.  If I wasn't so short on space inside right now,  I'd probably transplant.  But knowing spring is right around the corner they might make it till then.    Glad you like the powders and flakes.  Can't go wrong with the Goats Weed.  Def one of my fav's.   I still have a ton of naturally dried Goats weed pods left if your wanting some more.  Just let me know,  and I'll make it happen!  Primo powder is def extra spicy for sure.  Not too many people like me after I give em a taste of that :P   Good luck with the seeds,  hope they do well for ya!

Jamison said:
I'm totally down to meet up one day.  I'm not working at all right now.  Probably be better in the summer to meet so we can trade some pods and what not.  Even before that its cool with me.  Didn't realize you were that close.  That's awesome for sure.  I'm use to driving 2 hours just to get to work.  And then another 2 on the way home.  Don't miss that!  Looking forward to the longer growing season.  And I def am loving the southern life.  Everyone is complaining about the weather,  and to me its like fall or spring :party:   I'm sure one day I'll be whining too.  They all think this Yankee is crazy!

Yea, I was thinking meeting up once the pods start pumping out lol. It probably wouldn't even take quite 2 hours because that's going the speed limit haha.

Actually what would be worth the drive for you is if we met in Birmingham and drove on down to Silver Surfer's plot. That is if he is even doing a grow this year. I have called him a few times this year and haven't gotten an answer. I will probably end up just driving down there in a couple months and see if he's got plants growing.

But if he does, I say you and I take a drive to his place. Most laid back guy there is I do believe

coheed196 said:
Yea, I was thinking meeting up once the pods start pumping out lol. It probably wouldn't even take quite 2 hours because that's going the speed limit haha.

Actually what would be worth the drive for you is if we met in Birmingham and drove on down to Silver Surfer's plot. That is if he is even doing a grow this year. I have called him a few times this year and haven't gotten an answer. I will probably end up just driving down there in a couple months and see if he's got plants growing.

But if he does, I say you and I take a drive to his place. Most laid back guy there is I do believe
You just let me know brotha!

JJJessee said:
I know you're way down on the MS border and relatively low elevation, but early April may be too early -just guessing. I'd see when the old timers plant tomatoes there and kinda go by that. Watch out for tornadoes down there too.
Point taken.  Gonna have to be checkin the weather for sure.  But I looked at the averages for the past years and It seemed pretty safe by then.  But then again this winter hasn't exactly been average for anybody.

Well, updates have been few and far between.  The last couple days I had to pot up all the pepper plants and not plant out because I have to go back to WI to work until Easter.  I figured it would be easier for the wifey to take care of them while I was gone.  The roots were just insane on these things.  I potted them up in Pro Mix HP with some Jobe's Organic nutes mixed into the soil.   Now have them hardening off on the front porch that is facing east.  They get just a couple hours of early morning light and ambient light the rest of the day.  I see a couple already stretching for the sun.  They all seem to be loving it outside.  Temps have been awesome as of the past week and a half.  Haven't had to bring em inside at all.  They should be ready to go out into the garden to live out the rest of the season as soon as I get back home.  Here's a few pictures.

Also been finding some Morels!!!

Next update won't be til after Easter.  Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Plants are looking really nice Jamison, good luck on your trip to Wi.

Glad you have such a cool wife to hold down the fort, is she kin to LB? One in a million!

Forgot about my little Rocoto plants that are still inside.  

Forked with tiny little buds starting!

Devv said:
Plants are looking really nice Jamison, good luck on your trip to Wi.

Glad you have such a cool wife to hold down the fort, is she kin to LB? One in a million!
Yup that's why she's my wife!  Not sure who LB is tho :crazy:   Thanks for checking in man!

JJJessee said:
That's one wicket looking root system you've got in you're hand. Holy Smokes!
I hope the headlines of  my death reads.

Man Explodes From Morel Overdose. 

niiiiice score!!!!!
That would just be hilarious!  When is Morel season over there?  If you don't find some,  I'll send some dehydrated shrooms your way if I can find some more.  I really didn't look hard at all,  found about  a half a grocery bag full in 10 minutes.  Stumbled upon them to be honest.

Got a looooooong drive in the morning,  bout 10-11 hours to get back to WI,  and def not looking forward to it!  More pics when I get back.  Can't wait to see how they've grown while I was away!  I just  :pray:  everything is just peachy when I come back home!

Man, call me a hater, because I am jealous. Those roots and plants are light years ahead of mine. My own fault. And those morels! I've had hauls close to that, but that was years ago. They haven't been around like they used to on the 7 acres. I try not to grab off the property, but sometimes you can call it easement when its close lol.

Well I'm long overdue for an update.  Plants are ready to be put in the ground and in their final pots.  Was really wanting to get it done this weekend but,  they are calling for some severe weather starting tomorrow night including tornadoes and hale storms.  Decided to hold off until all of that passes.  Here's some pics and gonna need a few bumps to include them all.  

A pair of Goats Weed.  These things are super lanky and leggy.  

Manzano

Bahamian Goat

Red Congo Trinidad

7Pod Rennie,  a cutting off my plant from last year.  Also have another one in the mix somewhere.

Chocolate Scotch Bonnet

Orange Thai

7Pod Lava Red

7Pod Original

7Pod Rennie Brown

Need a bump please!!!

Back