• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jason's 2010 grow log

How is everyone today? A few of my seed have sprouted for my 2010 season so I thought i'd post a couple of pics. Nothing too flash at this stage but will be sure to keep updating as they progress. Hopefully I will end up with around 50 or so plants (including ones in the groung already and a few Bird's eyes and Orange Habs), however I was going through Timmies thread the other day and I may just regret that many plants.
So here is the list ATM
Seeds in: 4 x Trini Scorp, 4 x 7 Pot, 4 x 7 Pot "Jonah", 4 x Yellow 7 Pot, 4 x Naga Morich, 4 x Dorset Naga, 4 x Bih Jolokia, 4 x Bhut Jolokia and 4 x Choc Bhut. I'm trialling the aspirin mix on one tray while the other will be getting "normal" nutes.
This is Tray #1 (no aspirin) planted 29 Apr 2010
2010growlog012.jpg

This is tray #2 (aspirin) planted 02 May 2010
2010growlog001.jpg

The seedlings from Tray #1
2010growlog011.jpg

The seedling from tray #2
2010growlog010.jpg

So I'm not expecting much from the aspirin at this stage. I soaked those seeds in an aspirin solution for 8 hours prior to sowing them. and give them a dose every week but other than that they all just get plain old tap water. but again once a fortnight they get a dose of weak nutes.

Tray one has the following shoots; 2 x Trinin Scorp, 2 x Bih Jolokia, 2 x 7 Pot, 1 x 7 Pot "Jonah", 1 x Yellow 7, 1 x Bhut and 1 x Dorset Naga.

Trat #2 has only got 1 x 7 Pot, But just discovered this morning that it has hooks coming up from Trini Scorp and Dorset Naga.

POTAWIE said:
Superthrive's main ingredient 1-Naphthyl acetic acid is a synthetic auxin which has been found to stimulate cell elongation but this usually means larger spaces between nodes which is not usually desirable, at least not to me

I agree, but even if I use this weaker than directed will it still cause larger spacing? Or should I count my losses and give up on it?

Well I've got a bit of a problem, I started "the-race-to-the-death" (which twin grows true leaves first) and to my dismay, most of the twins are are growing simultaneously. Is it possible to seperate them when they are this close or do I have to cull one off? Pics of a couple are posted above. But I'll post a few more shortly.

Also, I know it's too early to pot up but one of my Bhuts has a root growing out of the bottom of the peat pellet... Any suggestions?
Twins010.jpg

Twins009.jpg

i usually wait until there are more roots in my starting media. but i use rockwool. that netting is going to be hard to rip off without damaging the roots if there are a lot of them poking through.

that is assuming you rip off the netting prior to transplanting.

blue said:
i usually wait until there are more roots in my starting media. but i use rockwool. that netting is going to be hard to rip off without damaging the roots if there are a lot of them poking through.

that is assuming you rip off the netting prior to transplanting.

I agree, I think it will too, And yeah I'm going take it off before potting up, Don't want to choke them up too much later on. But yeah this is the only one with any roots coming out of the pellets, all the rest seem to be contained within for now.

You can separate them pretty easily now. Just take a dull knife, insert an inch or so down and move the soil to one side of the one you're removing and replant it in warm moist soil ASAP. Plant it a little deeper, firm up the soil around the stem and add a few drops of warm water to make sure the root gets moistened. Have everything planned and ready to go before you start. It should survive and might even grow larger than the one that stayed put.

Took a few more pics last night to update the 'ol grow log a bit. I'll start with the pics of my 7 Pots
This is the smallest of my 7 Pots
Growlogupdate016.jpg

This one has got a "gimpy" leaf.
Growlogupdate012.jpg

This is the only "Jonah" that sprouted out of 4
Growlogupdate009.jpg

This is the only Yellow 7 survivor of the 2 that sprouted
Growlogupdate005.jpg

This is one of the bigger ones
Growlogupdate004.jpg

But this is the pride of the fleet at the moment
Growlogupdate001.jpg

Now for a few of the Scorps
This is my biggest T/S At the moment
Growlogupdate002.jpg

This one is doing ok too
Growlogupdate006.jpg

This is the baby of the T/S family
Growlogupdate011.jpg

And a few of my Bhuts
This is my only surviving Bhut, and it's hopefully recovering from "something".
Growlogupdate003.jpg

Here is a baby choc Bhut these took a while longer to sprout than anything else for some reason must be the breed I think.
Growlogupdate013.jpg

This one got itself all blinged up with some cresent shaped leaves
Growlogupdate015.jpg

And this Choc Bhut is coming along just fine I think.
Growlogupdate022.jpg

Now for a couple of Dorset Nagas and Naga Morich
This Dorset naga Has long slim leaves, is this normal or not?
Growlogupdate010.jpg

This one is just starting on it's true leaves
Growlogupdate018.jpg

This is the bigger of my 2 Naga Morich
Growlogupdate017.jpg

And this is my baby Naga Morich, which has just kicked the seed off yeasterday.
Growlogupdate024.jpg

Now for some Bih Jolokias
This one is doin the best at the moment
Growlogupdate007.jpg

This one is doing well also, however it's recovering from christ only knows what, those leaves have looked like that since they developed big enough to see them properly
Growlogupdate008.jpg

This one has just came up recently
Growlogupdate020.jpg

And this one is lookin pretty good for it's age
Growlogupdate021.jpg

And also, I'll be holding a Funeral precession for a few of my babies this coming Wednesday. Here are the last pictures ever taken of them.
I'm hoping this one will sproose itself up a bit but I doubt it
Growlogupdate019.jpg

Growlogupdate014.jpg

I'm most annoyed about this one coz it was doing so well, now looks like a hook again.
Growlogupdate023.jpg

millworkman said:
I would go ahead and pot up, cut the net off the pellet first though.

bigt said:
You can separate them pretty easily now. Just take a dull knife, insert an inch or so down and move the soil to one side of the one you're removing and replant it in warm moist soil ASAP. Plant it a little deeper, firm up the soil around the stem and add a few drops of warm water to make sure the root gets moistened. Have everything planned and ready to go before you start. It should survive and might even grow larger than the one that stayed put.

Cheers for the advice fellas will get onto it today. I'm just concerned about the roots that are going throught he netting, i have noticed that a lot more of my seedlings have roots growing through it now. Does it matter a whole heap or can you leave the netting on?

i dont use jiffy pots pellets whatevr they are called . nor do i plant more than one seed in a cell(peppers). and i dont' cull (intentionally). If they are both healthy and growing nice why not twist them together to almost form one trunk out of the two have two plants growing as one might be a cool experiment. i think i will try this actually.
nice seedlings jolokia jas and good luck!

Thanks Nate,
Yeah this is the LAST time I double seed a pellet. What a nightmare it was to seperate (I opted not to cull) them. If I'm worried about Germination rates from now on, I'll just plant more. I potted up yesterday took pics but too busy to post them so it will have to wait another week until I get home from work. Was a bit nervous about doin it the day before I flew out but the missus should be right with them. Not sure I'll ever use the peat pellets again either, the netting is just to painful to take off when there are roots poking through. Next time I might try the rock wool cubes.

Back