• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jedisushi06 2014 Grow, Return of the JEDI

I started fairly early this year of 2013 for 2014.  I had a good garden season this summer and grew lots of super hots and non super hots.  I produced over 200 pounds of tomatoes for canning, and lots of cucumbers for pickles.  I used my last big tomato and pepper harvest to can salsa.  I plan on growing more plants this year and trying to grow some types i did not get around to this summer.  I also plan on growing peas, tomatoes, rhubarb, mixed greens, pumpkins, and non super hot peppers and thai chiles for drying.  Here's an updated list of what i'm growing so far.  I have plans for lots more peppers so stay tuned.  I want to thank all the great people on here that taken their time to send me seeds to grow, i want to give a shout out to Romy 6, Bhut Camp, megahot, Jack Superhot, Tmudder, Spicegeist, Colorado Ronin, Judy at pepperlover, silver surfer, Semilnas, Nigel Carter, Bill Moore, chile beast, Brian Seal, lucky dog hot sauce, Chris Joyner, my favorite cowboy, old barn nursery, and old dirty bastard.

7 pot 007
7 pot merlot
7 pot yellow
7 pot red
7 pot brain strain yellow
7 pot brain strain red
7 pot brain strain orange
7 pot brain strain chocolate
7 pot douglah x 3
7 pot douglah Billy Boy
7 pot madballz
7 pot rennie red
7 pot rennie brown
7 pot primo yellow X 2
7 pot primo red
7 pot primo orange
7 pot savanah long
7 pot bubblegum
7 pot barrakapore red
Carolina Reaper X Red Brain Strain
Jays peach ghost scorpion
Jays red ghost scorpion
Chocolate Naga Brain
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Brakapore
Brown Naglah
Black Naga
Defcon 7
Congo brown
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia chocolate X douglah
Sepia Serpent
Bhut jolokia chocolate x Trinidad Scorpion Red
Chocolate Fatallii
Trinidad Scorpion Cardi Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Green
Trinidad scorpion chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
Rocoto Inca 
MOA scotch bonnet
Infinity
Red Mourga
Red Mourga Satan
Yellow Mourga
Brown Mourga
Carmel Mourga
Chocolate Mourga
Chocolate Bhut X yellow 7 pot
Carolina Reaper
Carolina Reaper long phenotype
Red Naglah
Yellow Douglah
Red Douglah
Mustard Habanero
Bonda Ma Jaques
Ice Scream Scorpion
Red Habanero
Majah X= Red Bhut Jolokia X Red Mourga Scorpion
Paper Lantern
Datil
Peach Habalokia
Peach Scorpanero
M.A. Daisy Cutter yellow
Devil's tongue yellow
Devil's tongue red
Red Lightning Habanero
Caribbean Red Habanero
Numex Barker Green Chile
SB7J
Thai hot
Orange Thai
Black Thai
Prik KEE NUU SUAN
Geon La Do
Mustard Bhut Jolokia

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.jpg

Solid looking grow, Jedi.
I also just ordered my tomato seeds, just to make sure the varieties were available. I'm holding off until April to drop seeds. Or trying to.
Tomatofest is a good spot, but I went to Baker Creek. It's so hard to find it all in one place.

JJJessee said:
Solid looking grow, Jedi.
I also just ordered my tomato seeds, just to make sure the varieties were available. I'm holding off until April to drop seeds. Or trying to.
Tomatofest is a good spot, but I went to Baker Creek. It's so hard to find it all in one place.
yeah i'm up and it's almost 5 am here, that's what i get for drinking early yesterday and passing out by 9 pm.  I hear you on the tomatoes, might have to find a few more types.  

what types did you order?
http://www.rareseeds.com/blue-berries-tomato/

these look amazing

http://www.rareseeds.com/michael-pollan-tomato/

http://www.rareseeds.com/costoluto-genovese-tomato/

i plan on growing these to make small pickles with.

http://www.rareseeds.com/parisian-pickling-cucumber/

My guess on those containers in 5"....If so they will fit perfectly 2 wide and 4 deep in your trays. Most (good) nurseries will carry them, but you may have to shop around. That is my final indoor size...unless I start way too early. Plants can get pretty darn big in those things. If you end up having to move up one more time 2# is the next size I use. 1# are not enough of an upsize to be worth doing. 

Here are some of my starts last year in the 5" containers I use...
gallery_5729_82_2003650.jpg

Great looking start thus far!!! I can't wait to see where this grow goes! 

awesome shane.  I plan on fitting a couple bigger super hot in big pots and moving them down stairs near my kitchen.  Going to have to make room for tomatoes in late march early april.  ANyone out there have any success topping tomato plants?  It works well for cannabis so i'm assuming it should work for tomatoes.

romy6 said:
Mikey maters are easier to manage when you top them but I noticed I did not get the yield when I did it.
I see. Maybe i will just leave them be.  Just don;t want them lanky again this year when they go into the ground.  

Hey,Mike 
I got my tomatoe seeds today from Baker Creek, 
I'm doing the Cosoluto. I thought about the Pollan but opted for the Aunt Ruby on my green,
I'm not a big fan of picking the little tomatoes, but I am doing the a Wild Boar Farm variety, The Blue Beauty, It looks like a bigger version of the Blueberry.

I'm am considering doing some tomato grafting,( as if I don't need another project) or at least looking into it more. We have lots of tomato health issues in this area.
Those grafting stock seeds are pricey though - 50cents a pop -ouch!

I looked over their cukes but I think I'll stick with the Boston Pickling left-over seeds another year.

Okay sweet, i didn't order any seeds from there yet, i ordered some fro somewhere else last week and almost forgot i did.  I still plan on growing a bunch of cherry types too besides canning ones and heirlooms. 

JJJessee said:
I'm am considering doing some tomato grafting,( as if I don't need another project) or at least looking into it more. We have lots of tomato health issues in this area.

If we actually get more of these predicted single digit lows in our neck of the woods, we might have a more disease-free grow this year...

Spicegeist said:

If we actually get more of these predicted single digit lows in our neck of the woods, we might have a more disease-free grow this year...
I took my tea and foliar sprayed with it last season on my tomatoes, didn;t have any issues with bugs or disease.  I was also spraying cal-mag on them and epsom salt.

Do you ever bury down the tomato plants?

I have a few in wannabe 1 gal pots that are close to 1 foot tall. I intend on clipping leaves and burying the root ball and most of the stem. Then it all becomes roots; I've been afraid to top them..

Yeah I normally bury them because they get lanky after they sprout. I do the same with cannabis seeds that sprout because they get lanky too when they sprout. I would top them after they get big outside and keep cutting those bottom branches off too. It helps your tomato plants produce better fruit and keeps bugs from getting on them from the ground outside. I will find the link for you dev after I get home about pruning tomato plants that I read last year. It was very helpful.

On tomatoes (growing tomatoes is still  legal in VA by the way), I bury in a trench laying down if they are pretty tall and would require a deep enough hole to put the root ball below the fertile zone. Just leave the top few  leaves uncovered, maybe propped up a bit. Trim away all leaves going underground.

Back