• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Jeff H said:
Interesting what you learn on this site. When I was talking to the guys at the local Mary Jane store (hydro shop) they touted peat moss and perlite as a great soil for plants being fed nutirent solutions. Now that I know, I'll monitor the runoff pH. If it is decently lower, I can always raise the pH of the nute solution. I have a whole bottle of pH up that I almost never use.

Maybe next year I go with coco and perlite. Then I will have to deal with calcium deficiencies which is why I chose peat moss in the first place. Oh well, I have plenty of Cal-mag to fix that.
There is a fairly lengthy debate in the 420 community about measuring the runoff. From what I've read (and let's make that clear, I've only read about it) it doesn't appear to give too much of a useful indicator of what's going on.

There's also a very healthy debate on the idea of adding perlite to coco. Some do, some don't. On the one hand people believe adding perlite will aid in drainage and improve coco. Those that don't say that coco is already the perfect growing medium that contains the perfect balance between water retention and air pockets. They argue that it doesn't need any amendments. I'm growing in pure coco and frankly can't see the need to add perlite. Then again, I've never tried it so I can't back up the statement.

From what I have seen so far, I can tell you that I have not had calcium issues when growing in quality coco. The nutrients designed for coco have a balanced feed that all but eliminates the problem. As I understand it, it's not a lack of calcium that causes a problem in coco, but rather it's a calcium lockout that's caused by the fact that coco contains a higher level of potassium that's released over time. This results in an imbalance between nutrients, the coco locks up the calcium and you end up with a problem.

Neil

Love the OW pics.  How does the red Thai compare to the orange Thai?  If there is a big difference in taste, we might have to do a box of pepper swap this year.

Great looking foodie pics.

Remington 870....only gun I've ever killed a deer with.  Awesome shotgun!!!

Blister said:
There is a fairly lengthy debate in the 420 community about measuring the runoff. From what I've read (and let's make that clear, I've only read about it) it doesn't appear to give too much of a useful indicator of what's going on.

There's also a very healthy debate on the idea of adding perlite to coco. Some do, some don't. On the one hand people believe adding perlite will aid in drainage and improve coco. Those that don't say that coco is already the perfect growing medium that contains the perfect balance between water retention and air pockets. They argue that it doesn't need any amendments. I'm growing in pure coco and frankly can't see the need to add perlite. Then again, I've never tried it so I can't back up the statement.

From what I have seen so far, I can tell you that I have not had calcium issues when growing in quality coco. The nutrients designed for coco have a balanced feed that all but eliminates the problem. As I understand it, it's not a lack of calcium that causes a problem in coco, but rather it's a calcium lockout that's caused by the fact that coco contains a higher level of potassium that's released over time. This results in an imbalance between nutrients, the coco locks up the calcium and you end up with a problem.

Neil

With all this talk of soil, I'm probably just going to pick up a bundle of Promix the next time I am at the hydro shop. It is still mostly peat, but it should have a higher pH. I'd rather not take chances with nute lockout.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Love the OW pics.  How does the red Thai compare to the orange Thai?  If there is a big difference in taste, we might have to do a box of pepper swap this year.

Great looking foodie pics.

Remington 870....only gun I've ever killed a deer with.  Awesome shotgun!!!

Ask me in the summer. Never had the orange ones but I got some seeds from Buckeye pepper company so they are on my grow list this year. I'll sure send you some red ones later in the year.

The last of the seeds arrived yesterday. Mostly onions but there was one pepper in there but it is a sweet one.
20140123_173027.jpg

Anyone know why some of my onions are "pelleted"?? I looked at them and they look like tiny white BBs. Does this do anything to help germination?

Here is the plan for starting more seeds:
2/1/14- the balance of the annuums and any ones that didn't germinate earlier.
3/1/14- start the tomatoes and tomatillos.
3/15-4/1ish- start the onions, cucumbers, zucchini, whatever else. I have room for two flats. One onion and one everything else.
Mother's day 5/11 is definite plant out time. Earlier if weather allows.

Questions for the gardeners: Should corn, and beans be started inside or outside? Should some of hte crops go in before May? Devv said he is planting onions ahead of the peppers. Can they take the cold better?

Peppers and tomatoes I've done before but everything else is new to me this year. Feel free to chime in if something seems wrong.

Beans and corn do perfect direct sow.  I have never started those inside nor have I ever heard of anyone starting them inside.

From what I have read, onions can take a little more frost than the others.  First time going with seed on onion, usually just put out plants I buy in bunches.

May 11th is a bit early for me here.  Around the 20th has been the best, but I shoot for the 15th.

Jeff H said:
Anyone know why some of my onions are "pelleted"?? I looked at them and they look like tiny white BBs. Does this do anything to help germination?

Usually seeds are pelleted to provide uniformity and a small amount of protection to the seed, especially when being mechanically planted. Makes it alot easier for the machine if every seed is nearly identical. Alot of the major seed companies pelletize agricultural seed on a massive scale. My best guess would be that Johnny's wanted that variety and picked it up from someone who had already pelleted a large lot.

I'm an Agricultural Investigator with Idaho Dept. of Ag. and we deal with pelleted seed alot. It's a royal pain in the ass when they want us to take a sample of the lot that has already been pelleted... it involves washing off all that clay by hand as to not damage the seed!  :banghead:

I've purchased tomato seeds with the coating. My first thought was it was there to help germ. Thanks for the input Nick!

Jeff,

If I can get Onion bunches before 1/15 they go in the ground on that date. I've had Onions out and temps were 26°, it never bothered them. I have read sustained cold, like 10 days straight can make them bolt. That never happens here. Shallots were in the dirt the beginning of Dec., garlic mid Sept....I plant garlic at the fall equinox.

Example:

Woke up to 56-57° yesterday, temps were 31° at sunset, 25-26° this morning. 38° for the high today, tomorrow it will hit 60° and we have 3 days before the next front.

JJJ posted this link about onions, good info...http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=232

Hope it helps ;)

HillBilly Jeff said:
Beans and corn do perfect direct sow.  I have never started those inside nor have I ever heard of anyone starting them inside.

From what I have read, onions can take a little more frost than the others.  First time going with seed on onion, usually just put out plants I buy in bunches.

May 11th is a bit early for me here.  Around the 20th has been the best, but I shoot for the 15th.

Nick08* said:

Usually seeds are pelleted to provide uniformity and a small amount of protection to the seed, especially when being mechanically planted. Makes it alot easier for the machine if every seed is nearly identical. Alot of the major seed companies pelletize agricultural seed on a massive scale. My best guess would be that Johnny's wanted that variety and picked it up from someone who had already pelleted a large lot.

I'm an Agricultural Investigator with Idaho Dept. of Ag. and we deal with pelleted seed alot. It's a royal pain in the ass when they want us to take a sample of the lot that has already been pelleted... it involves washing off all that clay by hand as to not damage the seed!  :banghead:

Devv said:
I've purchased tomato seeds with the coating. My first thought was it was there to help germ. Thanks for the input Nick!

Jeff,

If I can get Onion bunches before 1/15 they go in the ground on that date. I've had Onions out and temps were 26°, it never bothered them. I have read sustained cold, like 10 days straight can make them bolt. That never happens here. Shallots were in the dirt the beginning of Dec., garlic mid Sept....I plant garlic at the fall equinox.

Example:

Woke up to 56-57° yesterday, temps were 31° at sunset, 25-26° this morning. 38° for the high today, tomorrow it will hit 60° and we have 3 days before the next front.

JJJ posted this link about onions, good info...http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=232

Hope it helps ;)

Jeff, Nick and Scott, I appreciate all of your input. Should help my first "not hot pepper" crop do well. Feel free to add any advice you see fit.

Now back on the topic of hot peppers, let's check on the actual winter pods.

Monzano- 4 pods so far.
20140124_201424.jpg
20140124_201441.jpg
20140124_201452.jpg

Plenty of flowers though.
20140124_201511.jpg

Paper lantern. Winter pods seem to have a slightly different shape.
20140124_201532.jpg

jalapeno
20140124_201542.jpg

Jamaican mushroom. Doesn't really look anything like it did in the summer.
20140124_201601.jpg

It is Friday night. Bottoms up everyone.
Oh, and one non pepper related photo. This Thyme is getting out of control. I sense some thyme and rosemary roasted hot peppers and vegetables in my future.
20140124_201618.jpg

Jeff- you're plants are looking great. Love the purple flowers and, as usual, the winter pods. Looks like you're getting good advice on the other crops as well... You're going to have a hell of a garden! Keep the progress pics coming!

You see they're trying to convince me not to cull in my thread! Already I am crowding everyone! Anarchy!

Almost time for annuum germination...

Looking good Jeff! Pods in January!

That tells me you're doing everything correctly.

That Thyme thinks it owns the place!

Do you grow Rosemary in the ground or potted? Last weekend I dug up 2 Rosemary that took over a spot 4x10'. Cut them way back, top and roots, and put them in 2 gal pots. They just love the weather here and are sooo drought resistant.

Keep it green!

Nice plants, Jeff! (Hillbilly Jeff is killing off the grasshopper "pesticide," lol.)

As folks have said, onions take really low temps and keep ticking.

Corn should be the last thing (or at least for us) corn is last thing planted as it can't take soil temp dips. Needs heat for direct seed to germ. Also, if I go there, that is plant corn, new space, all that, going with modified 3 sisters; can't beat Emerite pole beans.

maximumcapsicum said:
Jeff- you're plants are looking great. Love the purple flowers and, as usual, the winter pods. Looks like you're getting good advice on the other crops as well... You're going to have a hell of a garden! Keep the progress pics coming!

You see they're trying to convince me not to cull in my thread! Already I am crowding everyone! Anarchy!

Almost time for annuum germination...

Yep, Annuums go in the dirt next. HOOT!!! ( well, at least the rest of the annuums.  :shh: I couldn't wait on then jalapenos.  :oops: )

I try hard not to cull, but sometimes you have to. I understand that you had to murder them. I hope they didn't suffer. 

Trippa said:
looking good bro ... Hydro is something I would like to dabble in soon ... herbs in hydro always seem to grow like crazy!
Hydro is fun, but just like anything with gardening, you have to pay attention to what you are doing. 

Devv said:
Looking good Jeff! Pods in January!

That tells me you're doing everything correctly.

That Thyme thinks it owns the place!

Do you grow Rosemary in the ground or potted? Last weekend I dug up 2 Rosemary that took over a spot 4x10'. Cut them way back, top and roots, and put them in 2 gal pots. They just love the weather here and are sooo drought resistant.

Keep it green!
Hey Scott. I only wish the rosemary grew as fast as the thyme. I don't know if it doesn't like the basement growing room or what. The two plants are only 3" tall max and started the same day as the thyme. I do grow rosemary in both pots and in the ground. Works well in either. 

annie57 said:
Nice plants, Jeff! (Hillbilly Jeff is killing off the grasshopper "pesticide," lol.)

As folks have said, onions take really low temps and keep ticking.

Corn should be the last thing (or at least for us) corn is last thing planted as it can't take soil temp dips. Needs heat for direct seed to germ. Also, if I go there, that is plant corn, new space, all that, going with modified 3 sisters; can't beat Emerite pole beans.
Thanks Annie. Yeah, the corn farmers around here plant really late compared to all the other crops. Most of them will be on the bean rotation this year. Seems like everyone did corn last year. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Don't follow the grasshopper thing??

Grow is looking great.  In case you didn't know, more short rows of corn is better for pollination than just a couple long rows.  
I didn't know that but since this will be is a raised bed, I was going to put them in a cluster anyway. Probably 4'x4' or so for 48ish plants. The sq.ft. garden people really want them packed in tightly. 

Making tortillas again. Sprinkled a healthy few shakes of my annuum blend in the dough. Zesty tortillas FTW. 
20140125_163046.jpg

Here they are cooling next to some home made corn salsa with a dab of adobo sauce in it. Anyone guess what is for dinner?
20140125_165046.jpg

More pics later. Gotta get back to the chores around here. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Please explain the making of them??  Never once gave it much thought, but would like to try it.  They look good.

recipe and procedure posted a couple pages ago. It took a while to get the right recipe that kept everyone in the family happy, but it is worth it. 
Devv said:
Tacos or chicken quesadilla's?

Sorry Scott. enchiladas this time. Pics soon. 

In the mean time, I noticed several leaved dropping from my Naga Morarch. WTF?!? I don't see any real signs of stress, it just dropped a bunch of leaves. Well it has been a couple weeks since a nute change. I'll change it and see if it makes the plant any happier. Weird. 

20140125_173551.jpg

Sorry Scott. enchiladas this time. Pics soon.
Well I tried ;)

Enchiladas, I would be interested in how you make them, always looking for new ideas...

Don't have any advise about the leaf dropping, you're way ahead of me when it comes to hydro stuff. In fact I know zero!

Although in the pic it looks good..

Devv said:
Well I tried ;)

Enchiladas, I would be interested in how you make them, always looking for new ideas...

Don't have any advise about the leaf dropping, you're way ahead of me when it comes to hydro stuff. In fact I know zero!

Although in the pic it looks good..

My enchiladas are pretty simple. Boiled and shredded chicken was browned on the skillet that I was sauteing some onions on. Mixed them all together with about 1/2 of that corn salsa and a dallop of homemade adobo sauce. Stuffed the toritllas with 2/3 chicken and 1/3 cheese and use a toothpick to hold them closed since I stuff them full. 

Once they are all made and in the greesed pan, pour over them most of the can (I don't have the chilis for home made right now) of enchilada sauce and a bunch more cheese. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour. 

20140125_192758.jpg

20140125_193128.jpg

The small pan is the vegetarian ones for the wife. That is why you see black beans.

Back