• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Great shots, plants and food, both.  Those food pictures will have me looking for an early lunch.

My 2¢ on alliums: I've got elephant garlic, potato onions, shallots, and walking onions in the garden right now.  They've held up well even with the 0º temperatures we've had.  The tops are frost-bitten and they won't grow much until it warms up, but when it does, watch out.  In my opinion, it's actually better for them to experience sustained cold rather than hard cold snaps followed by warm periods.  When that happens, they'll start growing, then get knocked back by the next cold snap.  Repeat that enough times and I've lost entire fall-planted crops before.  Recently, the temps are bouncing up and down almost on a daily basis and that doesn't seem to give them enough time to come out of dormancy.

I've also got two terra cotta pots of shallots on the front stoop that seem to be doing as well as the ones in the garden.  That surprises me, because I'm sure those pots have been frozen solid. Even more surprising is the handful of shallot sets just lying on the concrete next to the pots.  I know those have been frozen, yet there they are, putting out green tops.  Likewise there is a pile of elephant garlic sets exposed on top of the ground in the garden, also putting out green tops.  All of those go in the ground today. 

Devv said:
Do you grow Rosemary in the ground or potted? Last weekend I dug up 2 Rosemary that took over a spot 4x10'. Cut them way back, top and roots, and put them in 2 gal pots. They just love the weather here and are sooo drought resistant.

I'm pretty sure the 0º temperatures have killed my multi-year Rosemary.  At best, it may sprout from the roots.

annie57 said:
Corn should be the last thing (or at least for us) corn is last thing planted as it can't take soil temp dips. Needs heat for direct seed to germ.
And peanuts.

Appreciate the two cents Sawyer, my knowledge about gardening is really only limited to peppers and tomatoes. I'll take all the advice you have. , also TY for the food compliments.

So with all this talk about straight peat moss being too acidic, I thought we would try something new. A trip to the hydro shop and I got some Happy frog potting soil and some new 72 cell trays for the annuums, tomatoes and onions.

20140125_173431.jpg

Paying waaaaaay to much for dirt vs. home depot, but the piece of mind that it has been stored indoors all year and isn't infested with fungus gnat larva is well worth it, especially for the baby plants who only need a little soil anyway. One bag should be more than I need for the winter.

Then a little experiment. I took a few plants and repotted them in the Happy Frog. I'm keeping them segregated because I'll have to give them straight water instead of the nute solution. I'll monitor them and see if they start to perform better than their brethren in the peat/perlite mix.

From the left: Indian Carbon, Red rocoto, Naga morarch, and two baby monzanos.
20140125_180549.jpg

The IC had a tad bit of nute burn on its tips and the naga morarch had some sort of nute deficiency since it's leaves are really pale so that was why I chose those two. I just threw the pubes in while I was potting up. The rocoto was just about root bound anyway. We'll keep an eye on these.

Food looks great Jeff!

We have never made Enchilada's here...well maybe once. The main reason is we have killer Mexican restaurants around here, the wife said "If I get this down you never take me out to eat"...She's right, no steak or Italian places...

The Rosemary, IMHO they love the heat, they grow like weeds. The ones I dug up last weekend were huge, they were at least 3.5' tall and 5' around. It was a shame to burn the cutoff tops, but we have tons already.

This is the second time I've read about fungus gnats in store bought potting soil this week. I do see a few gnats, maybe one or two when I'm messing with the plants. I was thinking I brought them in..

Good luck with the potting soil experiment, and the plants look great!

Will be interested in your results Jeff! I am giving Ocean Forest a shot this year instead of the blend I made last year. My thinking was that it already had a pretty hefty dose of nutes in it, so much so that I won't have to worry about nitrogen at all, and just feed them at plant out. So I justified the extra cost as not buying a round of ferts. We'll see if it works out that way though.

Of course they'll get plenty of compost and tomato tone when they hit the dirt.

My experience with leaf drop has been mostly chilly temps.  Sometimes too wet, and sometimes if they get too dry, they will drop some after watering.

Food pics look nice, but I am not a fan of enchiladas.  If they can't fry the beans right the first time, I don't want em!!!

Have a great night.

Devv said:
Food looks great Jeff!

We have never made Enchilada's here...well maybe once. The main reason is we have killer Mexican restaurants around here, the wife said "If I get this down you never take me out to eat"...She's right, no steak or Italian places...

The Rosemary, IMHO they love the heat, they grow like weeds. The ones I dug up last weekend were huge, they were at least 3.5' tall and 5' around. It was a shame to burn the cutoff tops, but we have tons already.

This is the second time I've read about fungus gnats in store bought potting soil this week. I do see a few gnats, maybe one or two when I'm messing with the plants. I was thinking I brought them in..

Good luck with the potting soil experiment, and the plants look great!

I understand about the need to eat out from time to time. :D

Fungus gnats suck. I had quite a few last year and lost a bunch of sprouts to them because they ate all the darn roots. I'm more proactive this year using mosquito dunks in all of my water. that will kill the larva. So far so good.
maximumcapsicum said:
Will be interested in your results Jeff! I am giving Ocean Forest a shot this year instead of the blend I made last year. My thinking was that it already had a pretty hefty dose of nutes in it, so much so that I won't have to worry about nitrogen at all, and just feed them at plant out. So I justified the extra cost as not buying a round of ferts. We'll see if it works out that way though.

Of course they'll get plenty of compost and tomato tone when they hit the dirt.
This is new ground for me, we'll find out together if it was worth the price I paid for it.

Capsicum Select said:
Love the winter hydro setup Jeff. That's awesome you are getting winter pods. I have had luck with happy frog and ocean forest. Those tortillas look great too! I'm definitely going to give that recipe a go sometime soon.
Appreciate you stopping in Cap Select.

HillBilly Jeff said:
My experience with leaf drop has been mostly chilly temps.  Sometimes too wet, and sometimes if they get too dry, they will drop some after watering.

Food pics look nice, but I am not a fan of enchiladas.  If they can't fry the beans right the first time, I don't want em!!!

Have a great night.
No refried beans in here. :D Just chicken, salsa and bunch of melted cheese. I'm not a real fan of refried beans either. I only eat them if there are no other choices.

stickman said:
Everything's looking stellar Jeff and foodies are a great bonus!

+1 on Devv's comments on the Rosemary... they're Mediterranean natives and love heat and sun. Once you get them outside when things warm up, they'll ramp up for you. Cheers!

Thanks for the confirmation Rick. I hope they pick up. I'll just plan on keeping them alive until plant out time.

On the topic of spices, what is the difference between regular oregano that you buy at the store and Mexican oregano? Can you taste the difference? Where do you get good seeds for Mexican oregano?

Very cool set of articles that Orangehero posted here and especially this one in particular gives a way to check the pH and the EC of potting mixes. Sounds cool and I think it is one of the things I should be monitoring. Future updates in this glog will have periodic tests of my two substrates. (1) peat/perlite watered with a solution of Flora Duo pH adjusted to around 6.5. (2) Happy Frog just watered with plain tap water with a pH of around 7.1.

Love the info Jeff. Your grow is very precise and informative, though sometimes intimidating. Soil PH has always been a bit off the map for me... don't have the resources to really put together what I'd like to use... have to work with what I'm given. I envy the control you maintain over everything.

Keep the education coming!

Jeff H said:

In the mean time, I noticed several leaved dropping from my Naga Morarch. WTF?!? I don't see any real signs of stress, it just dropped a bunch of leaves. Well it has been a couple weeks since a nute change. I'll change it and see if it makes the plant any happier. Weird. 

20140125_173551.jpg

Couple weeks since a nute change? Do you just let it go that long since they are still relatively small? Do you measure TDS or pH? If so... what were they after several weeks?
I'm also curious if you have used the flora nova 3pt system, or if you just use flora duo? If so, any comparison between the two from your perspective?

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the info Jeff. Your grow is very precise and informative, though sometimes intimidating. Soil PH has always been a bit off the map for me... don't have the resources to really put together what I'd like to use... have to work with what I'm given. I envy the control you maintain over everything.

Keep the education coming!
The soil pH thing is pretty interesting. Since soil pH has been a big topic with my using peat for a soil, I did a little test last night that seems to lead me to thinking that soil pH is only part of the equasion. The pH of the water or nute solution will temper the pH of the soil somewhat. More info on that test later. I have pics too.

Capsicum Select said:
Mosquito dunks are the best. My pineapple plant was pretty bad with fungus gnats and those quickly remedied the problem. Very cool articles about soil pH. I should probably test my raised beds this year hmm
Yep. They work good to control those pests.

Nick08* said:

Couple weeks since a nute change? Do you just let it go that long since they are still relatively small? Do you measure TDS or pH? If so... what were they after several weeks?

I'm also curious if you have used the flora nova 3pt system, or if you just use flora duo? If so, any comparison between the two from your perspective?
Yes, when the plants are small, they don't take much in the way of nutes out of the water. I wouldn't let it go much over two weeks though.

I monitor pH every few days and as long as it is above 5.5 and still under 7, I generally leave it alone. I initially set it at 6.5 or a little lower since I have several varieties growing. Some of the crops aren't all that happy with low pH.

TDS. At this point, I have a standard formula that I have been using for quite a while. When I measure the TDS is it around 900ppm including the 200 from the tap water. I generally don't check it in between nute changes much this time of year. Outside in the summer when it is hot and the plants are bigger, I keep a closer eye on TDS since I have an auto filler on the reservoir and between evaporation and the plants drinking, I can loose more than 2 gallons a day.

Never used the 3 part stuff. I'm not one to be too adventurous. If something works well for me, I stick with it. Originally, I was using a 1 part nute (can't remember the name) and I was getting a lot of salts clogging the drip lines. I asked the hydro shop if they had something with less salts. Flora Duo was recommended. I tried it, liked it and have been using it for well over a year now.

In case anyone is interested, my standard formula that I have been using since about this time last year is:
Per gallon of water.
1 tsp B (always put B in before A)
1 tsp Cal-mag+
1 tsp A.

1st soil pH and EC test.

1st off, I didn't have distilled water, but the more I thought about it, for this first test, neutral tap water should give similar results. I'll buy some distilled water for later tests.

Adjusted the water to as close to 7.00 as I could get. One drop of pH down too many. Here are the readings.
20140127_190849.jpg
20140127_190919.jpg

Here are the test subjects. Jalapeno in pete and perlite and naga morarch in the happy frog. already being fed nute solution for the jal and water for the naga  and sat for an hour per the instructions.
20140127_205219.jpg

I then used about 75 ml of the neutral water and poured it on the already saturated plants. Sorry for the fuzzy pics. the clown holding the camera wasn't very steady.

Peat moss  and perlite. (fuzzy pH reading is 5.97)
20140127_205518.jpg
20140127_205604.jpg

Happy frog (fuzzy pH reading is 6.68)
20140127_205405.jpg
20140127_205618.jpg

Interesting things to note. The pH variation isn't near as much as I thought. I'll raise the pH of the nute solution I have been giving the peat plants and see if I can't get it above 6 for the next tests.

The ppm readings I don't understand though. They should be much higher. Especially for the one in peat since it was fed a nute solution just an hour before the test was done. Does the soil retain all of the nutes from the water?Maybe. More tests will be in order.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Looks too much like work to me  :shh:

Yeah, it is, but it's Jan, cold, and I need something other than helping the kids with their homework to keep me occupied. I probably won't have time to care in April.

Devv said:
Good info Jeff!

My water is 7.8 and the garden about the same...I really want to add some sulfur before I plant. Probably hit it with a half dose as I don't intend to deep till. I'm sure this is why the tomatoes get BER..
7.8 does seem higher than optimal, but I doubt that is the cause of your BER. Calcium seems readily absorbable at that pH, almost optimal actually.

nutrient-ph-range.jpg

I would consider adding lime, but that will make your pH issue worse. maybe there is a recipe of lime and sulfur to get the pH down and still add calcium. 

Other than that, nute lockout due to excess nitrogen fertilizers would be my next guess for BER.

Getting ready to plant the rest of the annuums (including sweets) this weekend.

20140129_182533.jpg

Then I thought about it. Oh shit. 20+ more hot annuums plus sweet annuums, and soon tomatoes, tomatillos , then onions. Even if I move all the o/w plants upstairs, I'll be hard pressed for the room. For each 72 cell flat I start, I'll need room for 4 flats of 3.5" pots, not to mention the ones that will outgrow the 3.5" pots. . . :eek: Okay, so I barely have room for 4 more flats, so the onions have to stay in the 72cell flat until plant out. Peppers, tomatillo and tomatoes, I'll have to make room for some how.

Next. OOPS. I lowered the light a couple of inches because of all the new small plants. The monzano wasn't too happy about that. Nothing else got scorched, but the longer I have monzanos, they keep reminding me that they arne't all that happy with strong direct light. Light raised back up now.
20140129_182346.jpg
20140129_182358.jpg

And my first casualty of the season. A white ghost. I must have transplanted it too soon and it just couldn't hang on. Came home from work yesterday and it looked really ill. Today, it was crispy, dry and done. RIP little white bhut.
20140129_182241.jpg

Back