• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Peat moss can range from pH 3.5 to 4.5, which is pretty acidic for peppers. It doesn't contain much NPK value, but peat moss does have some micronutrients that are no less important for plant health. Although your nutrient solution measures pH 6.5 when you mix it, the peat moss probably pulls the pH down as they sit together.

Can't argue with good results, though. Just saying maybe it's not optimal.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Love the plants and the fire going.  This is why I tend not to plant more seed than I want.  I can not cull for crap.  I'm going to have enough trouble holding out until mid February to plant the annuums.  I think checking on hooks is my drug....and by the time April comes around I'm looking for rehab muwahahaha.
haha. Well living in the suburbs is sure different than where you live. Here, my garden space can only be so big because the yard isn't that big. You can just make a new garden if you need to. Eventually, I will run out of room and have to make tough choices with my babies.

Devv said:
Nice one of the youngin's Jeff!

I hope the Manzano's produce for you this summer too, they look like they're well on their way.

As time got closer to the seed planting deadline to have any production this season I started adding more seeds versus one to the pellets and pots. And off course they almost always all come up! I'm OK with that as I have peeps that want the extras; as long as they get a good home ;)
Any time I plant multiple seeds, most of them pop. If I only plant one, it never pops. :think: Not to worry. Once the primary garden is full and the overflow garden is full, I have family members to give them to. They will find a good home.

maximumcapsicum said:
These guys are looking great Jeff! Can't wait to see if you get fruit set early.
I'm trying. I have 3 plants with fruit actively growing. Giant jalapeno, paper lantern, yellow monzano.

orangehero said:
Peat moss can range from pH 3.5 to 4.5, which is pretty acidic for peppers. It doesn't contain much NPK value, but peat moss does have some micronutrients that are no less important for plant health. Although your nutrient solution measures pH 6.5 when you mix it, the peat moss probably pulls the pH down as they sit together.

Can't argue with good results, though. Just saying maybe it's not optimal.

Interesting what you learn on this site. When I was talking to the guys at the local Mary Jane store (hydro shop) they touted peat moss and perlite as a great soil for plants being fed nutirent solutions. Now that I know, I'll monitor the runoff pH. If it is decently lower, I can always raise the pH of the nute solution. I have a whole bottle of pH up that I almost never use.

If water didn't drain out of perlite so fast, I would just use straight perlite. I love that stuff and the plants in the flood table all look really healthy ('cept the reaper which looks stunted compared to the rest.)
Maybe next year I go with coco and perlite. Then I will have to deal with calcium deficiencies which is why I chose peat moss in the first place. Oh well, I have plenty of Cal-mag to fix that.

I too haven't given PH a thought in the potting soil I use, however I checked the garden at the end of the season and it was 7.8.  I'm going to check it again as I've doctored it a bunch in the off season, and add sulfur if it's still high. Our water is high PH too..

HillBilly Jeff said:
Not fair!!!! You get to see 30s!!!!

Yeah, with more snow. :rolleyes:

Okay. I went shopping yesterday while at lunch from work. I knew exactly what I was looking for and the store had it in stock and for a good price. In, paid for, and out in no more than 15 minutes. That has to be some sort of record.

20140122_183430.jpg

Oh yeah, pepper related. One must be able to defend the pepper patch after all. :party: :party: :party:

HillBilly Jeff said:

You must live in town, cause I guard my patch with an AK

t-ak.jpg

Nice Jeff. I do live in the suburbs, but always remember what Cooper said. A handgun is a tool you use to get to your long gun.

It is a little harder to conceal this under my shirt.
20140112_105449.jpg

Devv said:
Both Jeff's,

I love it!

Where do I go to pay bond so I can get my likes back?

I have a .40 and wanted to reload for it....but from what I've read it's a possible risk when using a Glock..

I reload just about everything I have so naturally now that I own a 40, I have dies and bullets on the way from Midway right now. I could barely stomach the $22.00 per box of practice ammo at the store. Bought two boxes and said never again.

I think the Glock issue was only on the 1st generation. the throat was cut a little too generous and buldged the brass. Glock has subsequently fixed that in newer generations.

If your fired brass looks like this, don't use it. If it looks normal, you will be fine.
glock-brass-3.jpg

I have any brass I could find after shooting, and just got it and looked. None of it has that kind of bulge, mines a 3rd gen.

I live far enough away from town where I can shoot at the house. I shoot into a 4x4' sized target, made with 3/4" treated plywood front and back and in the middle 3 rows of 4x4's. The 40 cals have zero expansion when dug out of the wood, both copper jacketed hollow points and a standard round. I would have expected some expansion.

Oh and I only mention this because pepper predators are tough :liar:

Jeff, is that a 223?  I always wanted one, but won't pay the price on them.  I use my P89 to get to my long guns if by some odd chance they aren't right there next to me.  If I want to just startle people, I will carry my 454 on my hip.  That is as big as I want to go with a handgun.  I shot my cousins 45/70 pistol and that darn thing has some stopping power.  Cause we all know pepper predators are tough.

Do either of you melt down your used lead to use it over again?

I don't, might be an idea for me..

My largest cal hand gun is the 40, the one with the most kick is the Encore in 2.43 with a 15" barrel. Cool ride, 18" flames and quarter sized groups @ 100yds. when dialed in..pepper predators just hate it!

The only lead molding I do is for my fishing lures.  Spot on the river where people snag up a lot.  I go in the river in the middle of summer when it is low and get me some repurpose jigs and now and then some nice cranks.  Even got an old minnow seine once and used the lead off that.  Lead is cheap, but free is even cheaper.

243 is a nice weapon.  I got a 45 cal rifle and a 30-30 just cause they're lever action and fun to shoot.  Also a 30 06.  That keeps most things out the garden.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Jeff, is that a 223?  I always wanted one, but won't pay the price on them.  I use my P89 to get to my long guns if by some odd chance they aren't right there next to me.  If I want to just startle people, I will carry my 454 on my hip.  That is as big as I want to go with a handgun.  I shot my cousins 45/70 pistol and that darn thing has some stopping power.  Cause we all know pepper predators are tough.

Do either of you melt down your used lead to use it over again?
Yes, 223. These days they are cheaper than AKs. When Barry tried to get them banned, everyone bought them up. Now there is a glut available so they are very reasonable. If you can get a hold of a stripped lower receiver (about $100), you can mail order the rest for $500 or less. Del-ton is a good place to get them from but I have heard good things about Palameto state armory. <<you'll need to check the spelling on that.

I bought both of mine before Sandyhook though .

No lead casting for me, but I do shoot a fair amount of lead. Here is the spare can of 45s with a couple of its close friends. 
IMAG0945.jpg

Devv said:
I don't, might be an idea for me..

My largest cal hand gun is the 40, the one with the most kick is the Encore in 2.43 with a 15" barrel. Cool ride, 18" flames and quarter sized groups @ 100yds. when dialed in..pepper predators just hate it!
I have a 45 but shoot the 9mm mostly. We have steel target competitions from time to time and it is just cheaper than 45. My new 40 is just a carry gun. I doubt it will be fun to shoot 1000s of rounds through since it is so small .
Pepper predators are tough around here. 

On a completely unrelated note HBJ when I got home today my wife looked at me and asked me if we should take out son to see Rock on the Range in Columbus later this year. Let's see, Slayer, Guns -n-Roses, Motorhead, A7X, FFDP and tons more. I said yes. :D I'm not sure my 13 year old knows how crazy this will be. 

I can't get over the scarcity of the 22 ammo.  So many people I hear talking about not being able to get it for squirrel hunting.  A few years ago I started buying up ammo and 22 was one I bought up.  I was paying less than 9 bucks for a box of 550 rounds.  I still have about 40-50  years worth left over so I'm good for putting food on the table.  

That same box of ammo I priced a couple years back and it was over 20 bucks a box.  Glad I finally timed something right.

I've heard the same thing, but since I don't hunt nor shoot 22lr, it doesn't affect me directly. 

Now, momentarily getting back to peppers and off pepper defense, here are the o/w in the living room. They get little light but still seem to be doing okay. 

From the back left. Paper lantern, red ghost, red ghost
front row, tobasco, red thai, hot wax. the two small ones are TSBT clones that I clipped off of the big hydro plant in the fall. I don't have the heart to kill them, but they aren't really on the grow list this year. Too many still in the freezer. 
20140123_194954.jpg

Y'all just be thankful you're not in California. I am from TX where you can walk into Wally World buy a gun and be home in 20 minutes. When I was stationed out here I just brought 4 guns for hunting. A 12g Remington 870 3.5" magnum, a Browning Pump 20g, a Winchester Model 70 in .308 and my .22...oh along with my AMT Hardballer .45. I had to register them out here...I filled out about 40 pages of forms and had to hand my own guns over for two weeks until they could finish whatever freaking checks they did...nuts. MY OWN GUNS!!! Had owned them longer than the dude working the counter at the gun store was old! Ridiculous, decided then and there that the rest of my guns would just stay with my folks until I get back to TX.

Nice weapos fellas! Oh...and the peppers look good too!

stc3248 said:
Y'all just be thankful you're not in California. I am from TX where you can walk into Wally World buy a gun and be home in 20 minutes. When I was stationed out here I just brought 4 guns for hunting. A 12g Remington 870 3.5" magnum, a Browning Pump 20g, a Winchester Model 70 in .308 and my .22...oh along with my AMT Hardballer .45. I had to register them out here...I filled out about 40 pages of forms and had to hand my own guns over for two weeks until they could finish whatever freaking checks they did...nuts. MY OWN GUNS!!! Had owned them longer than the dude working the counter at the gun store was old! Ridiculous, decided then and there that the rest of my guns would just stay with my folks until I get back to TX.

Nice weapos fellas! Oh...and the peppers look good too!

Shane, you be safe out there in Kalifornia, and return to Tx as soon as you can, I would migrate too but I think Ohio laws are slightly better, we have open carry (not that I have any interest in such things, but it is good to have freedoms). It is getting worse in Calif. below is something I posted to LDHS earlier today. Friggin' crazy.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44770-dear-lucky-dog-hot-sauce/?p=941373

Oh, and the foodie pics you requested. I did get lazy and didn't make a new blend. What you see is my annuum blend of peppers with onion and garlic. salt added separately. My portion got some smoked scorpion powder and dipped in a hab wing sauce instead of ketchup. 

20140123_175028.jpg

After with some baked cod.
20140123_185459.jpg

Back