• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Devv said:
Looking good Jeff!

I want to hear what you think of the Reapers once they turn.

There's no way I could leave a tomato exposed like that here and expect to eat it, we just let them ripen the rest of the way on the kitchen table.

Yeah, your deer out there have no fear because no one can shoot them. Not the case around here, across the road is hunted as well as the large place north and east of me. 

Funny you posted the pics, I started the mower yesterday and a young deer 35yds west of me bolted out of the brush and crossed the driveway (2 fences). So maybe this is a good sign ;)

Have a great week!

Will do on the Reapers. The (piece of) one I did have at a local hot sauce convention (Ed and Mike from Buckeye pepper had a booth) was sweet at first with a creeping heat that gripped your mouth and wouldn't let go. I enjoyed the flavor, until I reached for the milk....Makes bhuts seem downright mild.

What gets your tomatoes if you let them vine ripen? I remember you saying you pull them early, but I don't remember you saying why.

Blister said:
That all looks tasty! Especially the deer. As the joke goes, you know you're an Indian when you watch Bambi and you get hungry...

Neil

Heck, I don't even eat deer (not a hunter) and I was thinking that that rabbit and deer would look real good on my plate.

stickman said:
Love those Paper Lantern Habs! They're usually the first Chinense pods to ripen, and I just like the flavor.

Hope you get a shot of that Deer flipping out if it eats one of your chiles... :P

Nice to see you loading up Jeff, and continued success!

I'm a big fan of PL habs too. Great flavor and since I'm not real partial to the general Chinense flavor quite a few habs and 7 pots have which is why I gravitate towards bhuts and PL habs. Still get tons of heat, but none of what  don't like.

Deer won't touch the chilies. Between the Nightshades leaves being poisonous to them and the hot peppers, I am pretty safe, but ripe tomatoes they do enjoy.

Devv said:

The top right mushroom looking one is from store bought scotch Bonnet seeds,

Scott, I thought I knew what this was from the moment I saw it, and now  can confirm (since I ate it) that this is no SB. What you have here is a Jamaican mushroom pepper. An annuum and a very tasty one .

Photos I just took of your pepper:
20140629_212825.jpg
20140629_212816.jpg

Photos of mine last year--This is a late season pic. Yours should look like these. They certainly taste the same.
20130808_211304.jpg

Here is where I bought seeds- the pictures are the same, but ignore their claims that they are SB peppers.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/scotch-bonnet-jamaica-yellow-pepper-seeds

You should be happy you are growing it. It has fantastic annuum taste and is about as hot as a 'peno.

I stopped by Kroger to get some food for lunch and they had something there I had never seen before.

Pasilla peppers according to the label and big ones at that.
20140701_113107.jpg

I bought 1 just to taste it and save the seeds if it is as good as the Pasilla bajio that I am already growing this year. Maybe we'll grow it next year.

It looks more like a ripe anaheim than a pasilla bajio so this is something I haven't seen before.

Love the recent update Jeff. Garden is looking great, even if you have some mammalian intruders. 

Pretty impressive "pasilla" for a kroger pepper. I rarely see anything that fresh at our kroger... most of the habs there are half mush before they hit the shelves.

What's the flavor like on the paper lantern? Have you had a JA hab? Wondering how they compare.

Sorry Jeff, definitely not a Pasilla. They're a very dark green until they ripen chocolate brown. They look black and wrinkled when dry... like a raisin. Pasa = Raisin   Pasilla = Little Raisin. if the pepper you show in the pic is two-lobed,  I'd say you have an Anaheim, but your tongue probably knows best... ;)

stickman said:
Sorry Jeff, definitely not a Pasilla. They're a very dark green until they ripen chocolate brown. They look black and wrinkled when dry... like a raisin. Pasa = Raisin   Pasilla = Little Raisin. if the pepper you show in the pic is two-lobed,  I'd say you have an Anaheim, but your tongue probably knows best... ;)

I agree with you. But, a couple of interesting points:
The ones I am growing now don't look anything like this. Mine look just like this picture shamelessly stolen off of the net.
Pasilla-Bajio-Pepper-web-Paul.jpg

Of course, mine aren't ripe yet, but they look the same.

2nd odd thing. I didn't know the code for the pepper at the Kroger self checkout. I typed in Pasilla and a bright red pepper just like the one I had came up, sooooooooo someone at Kroger thinks it is one. We'll find out though.
maximumcapsicum said:
Love the recent update Jeff. Garden is looking great, even if you have some mammalian intruders. 

Pretty impressive "pasilla" for a kroger pepper. I rarely see anything that fresh at our kroger... most of the habs there are half mush before they hit the shelves.

What's the flavor like on the paper lantern? Have you had a JA hab? Wondering how they compare.

Adam, we have a couple of Krogers around the area that keep pretty fresh peppers in stock but we don't have very many varieties.

The paper lantern is more like eating an annuum then a chinense. It has its own flavor that is distinctive, but it tastes much more fresh pepper annuum like and  lacks is that chinense citrus flavor. It packs in the heat though. About the same as a orange hab.

We grew Pasilla's last season and I concur with Rick, they went green to brown.

What gets your tomatoes if you let them vine ripen? I remember you saying you pull them early, but I don't remember you saying why.

The birds just tear them up out here. They like to peck each one once.

I was out watering today and looked at that plant, and my though was that's an Annuum...clearly. No one sent me any of those pods or seeds last season and I didn't buy any. So I guess surprise! I now have a Jamaican Mushroom. ;)  I also planted white habs from seed I bought, they turned out to be jelly bean white habs...LOL

Devv said:
We grew Pasilla's last season and I concur with Rick, they went green to brown.

The birds just tear them up out here. They like to peck each one once.

My battle with little critters continue. Found 3 more 1/2 eaten tomatoes on the ground this morning. :tear: problem is that two were green. I can't pick them that early. Whatever it is (squirrel I think) doesn't seem to be deterred by the animal repellent spray I put down. Might be time to try something else.

maximumcapsicum said:
Hah! 

Hope your pasillas work out Jeff. You gonna dry 'em for a sauce?

Tons of JA mushroom talk. I figured they'd be more annuum than chinense. That's fine by me... maybe they'll make good stuffing!

Pasilla- yes, the plan was to dry them. I also have mirasol and poblanos that I plant to dry for guajillos and anchos. mole and adobo sauces in the fall. :dance:

One thing we have here is quite a few squirrels, the best I can tell is they don't bother the garden. I have rabbit fence around the garden, but the skinny buggers around here can still squeeze through the fence. I've seen them do it. and then we have coon's, you may as well. If you have deer, you probably have them around too. I don't hunt the garden, but sometimes I want to ;)

A tale of two peppers:

Had to stake the Naga morarch and the Jigsaw today. They are growing so nicely that they were smothering their neighbors. Both have tons of pods. I hope I like the Jigsaw, I foresee lots of powder in the winter.

All the peppers here were started around the same time (back in Nov. Page 2ish in this glog) and are all in mostly the same soil.

20140702_203757.jpg

Staked Naga Morarch

20140702_203805.jpg

Naga morarch next to two white bhuts

20140702_203822.jpg

Naga pods

20140702_203916.jpg

Jigsaw- Nice and big.

20140702_203927.jpg

Jigsaw pods

20140702_204017.jpg

That troubling Caribbean red that looked like shit a couple of weeks ago. New growth, but still really tiny.

20140702_204039.jpg

The other Caribbean red. Bigger, but not as big as the white bhuts, much less the naga morarch.

Looking good man! A few of those peppers got a whiff of herbicide.  Not nearly as bad as mine was, but I saw a couple "supernodes" forming on the pics the last couple of pages.

Note the squiggly main vein, it's a dead giveaway.

Lx9d5DMh.jpg

The plants will grow out of it (eventually), the good news is if they're well established (which yours are) it will spur on some MONSTER growth over the next few weeks. Yours are much further along than mine were, and got a milder dose. earlier plants damn near died from it;

ROMr2Ioh.jpg

Keep an eye on them getting pale green and add some nitrogen. If you want to slow them down hit them with some diluted root stimulant. Prune off any "supernodes" that try forming.....

skVPVhph.jpg

RZz5801h.jpg

Or you'll end up with this monstrous crap (I missed this one):

AMartK4h.jpg

6XAzSUSh.jpg

It's hard on the plant to put out multiple sets of twin and triplet pods off the same node..... let alone 20 of the damn things.

Page 94 of this guide has more info on it; http://203.64.245.61/fulltext_pdf/EB/1900-2000/eb0068.pdf

A nicer color field guide is here; doesn't cover the herbicides as much as the first though. http://www.seminis.com/global/us/growerresources/documents/sem-12095_pepperdiseases_8p5x11_072313.pdf

Looking good though man, very nice garden. :)

(Just wish we all didn't seem to have these dickhead neighbors buying the ultra strength weed spray....lol)

Jeff your plants are looking great.  Hope you have continued success and sorry I haven't been able to keep a closer eye on the glogs lately.

Trent, I had some of those squiggly lines and some peppers looking sad.  Turning out of it though.  No super nodes though.

Jeff H said:

My battle with little critters continue. Found 3 more 1/2 eaten tomatoes on the ground this morning. :tear: problem is that two were green. I can't pick them that early. Whatever it is (squirrel I think) doesn't seem to be deterred by the animal repellent spray I put down. Might be time to try something else.

Pasilla- yes, the plan was to dry them. I also have mirasol and poblanos that I plant to dry for guajillos and anchos. mole and adobo sauces in the fall. :dance:

Do you have an electric fence charger?  They hit that a couple times, they will give up liking green tomatoes.
Jeff H said:

Scott, I thought I knew what this was from the moment I saw it, and now  can confirm (since I ate it) that this is no SB. What you have here is a Jamaican mushroom pepper. An annuum and a very tasty one .

Photos I just took of your pepper:
20140629_212825.jpg
20140629_212816.jpg

Photos of mine last year--This is a late season pic. Yours should look like these. They certainly taste the same.
20130808_211304.jpg

Here is where I bought seeds- the pictures are the same, but ignore their claims that they are SB peppers.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/scotch-bonnet-jamaica-yellow-pepper-seeds

You should be happy you are growing it. It has fantastic annuum taste and is about as hot as a 'peno.

I always had trouble with mine ripening and not having bad spots in them.  I too bought mine as SB and soon found out that this is what they were.

TrentL said:
Looking good man! A few of those peppers got a whiff of herbicide.  Not nearly as bad as mine was, but I saw a couple "supernodes" forming on the pics the last couple of pages.

Note the squiggly main vein, it's a dead giveaway.

Lx9d5DMh.jpg

The plants will grow out of it (eventually), the good news is if they're well established (which yours are) it will spur on some MONSTER growth over the next few weeks. Yours are much further along than mine were, and got a milder dose. earlier plants damn near died from it;

ROMr2Ioh.jpg

Keep an eye on them getting pale green and add some nitrogen. If you want to slow them down hit them with some diluted root stimulant. Prune off any "supernodes" that try forming.....

skVPVhph.jpg

RZz5801h.jpg

Or you'll end up with this monstrous crap (I missed this one):

AMartK4h.jpg

6XAzSUSh.jpg

It's hard on the plant to put out multiple sets of twin and triplet pods off the same node..... let alone 20 of the damn things.

Page 94 of this guide has more info on it; http://203.64.245.61/fulltext_pdf/EB/1900-2000/eb0068.pdf

A nicer color field guide is here; doesn't cover the herbicides as much as the first though. http://www.seminis.com/global/us/growerresources/documents/sem-12095_pepperdiseases_8p5x11_072313.pdf

Looking good though man, very nice garden. :)

(Just wish we all didn't seem to have these dickhead neighbors buying the ultra strength weed spray....lol)
No squiggly veins Trent. Not sure what my issue was earlier this year. Most all of the plants have grown out of it but the jalapenos. ODn't know what their problem is, but the good thing is that there are plenty at Kroger if mine don't produce. The other peppers are much harder to get so I'm glad they are doing better.

annie57 said:
Wow, Jeff: truly fearsome looking Jigsaws! And my Carib Reds have never gotten tall, but kind of sprawl, low-riders. It'll be just fine! ;)

Thanks Annie, glad to see you back. Hope your recovery goes fast. Carib reds are doing better, but are definitely delayed.

Devv said:
Wow that Jigsaw is way loaded down!

Glad to see things moving forward Jeff!

Yes, this year will be the year for Jigsaws and Naga morarchs. both plants are loaded. Others, not so much, but doing better.
HillBilly Jeff said:
Jeff your plants are looking great.  Hope you have continued success and sorry I haven't been able to keep a closer eye on the glogs lately.

Trent, I had some of those squiggly lines and some peppers looking sad.  Turning out of it though.  No super nodes though.

Do you have an electric fence charger?  They hit that a couple times, they will give up liking green tomatoes.

I always had trouble with mine ripening and not having bad spots in them.  I too bought mine as SB and soon found out that this is what they were.

NO electric fence Jeff, but the tomatoes are all in a 4x16 area. Thinking about getting a big net to throw over the tomatoes. Little turds ate a 1/2 dozen 1/2 ripe cherry tomatoes last night despite the deer and squirrel repellent.

I owe you guys a proper update, but it has been so busy lately that I haven't had much time do much. Hopefully this weekend.

Back