• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

maximumcapsicum said:
YES! Been waiting all year to see your garden take off like that. It looks great man. I am deeply envious of your Romas... my supports were no where near as adequate as they needed to be and most my vines are wanting to grow on the ground. I bet you're going to have some nice salsa pulls. Any problems with BER?

Keep everything going bud! It looks fantastic! 

BTW, I tried one of your indian carbones yesterday. Heat was delayed, but when it came I was crippled! Doubled over. Wonderful flavor on the pod though before the heat came.

No BER issues yet, but I have plenty of Cal-Mag on hand if needed.

Glad you like the IC. I don't have any ripe ones yet, but I will soon.

It has begun.

It is that time of year again. I had a couple of cucumbers too many so before they wend bad, time to make hot pickles. Hot slaw too with 1/2 head of cabbage I had left over. There is 1/2 of a dried bhut in each jar. They should be ready to open in a couple of months.

Obviously, many many more of these to make before winter kills the crops, but this is the 1st.

20140717_195241.jpg

20140717_195259.jpg
20140717_195319.jpg

Holy Hell!! A Naga Morarch chocolate.

As far as I know, a new mutation or cross of some sort. If it is a mutation, it might be stable, if a cross, well, ya' know........

Bought seeds from Judy of a Naga Morarch, and here are some pics of the unexpected color of the ripe pods.

20140724_185408.jpg
20140724_185500.jpg

20140724_185551.jpg

I haven't cut into one yet since I just got back in town from a short trip, but I will soon. Updates coming.

oh , I guess their is no "like" function when using the Iphone .....or I'da hit it a few times.

That Choc NM is beauty , looks bumpy enough to be Bhut , Never grown the NM Chocolate, only reds-tough plants, and they would put out when most of the others were tired. My huge Black Naga kicked the bucket last winter- oh well, lots of seeds .
Okay -all is lookin great - this Iphone sh$t doesn't cut it brother!

Jeff H said:
Holy Hell!! A Naga Morarch chocolate.

As far as I know, a new mutation or cross of some sort. If it is a mutation, it might be stable, if a cross, well, ya' know........

Bought seeds from Judy of a Naga Morarch, and here are some pics of the unexpected color of the ripe pods.

20140724_185408.jpg
20140724_185500.jpg

20140724_185551.jpg

I haven't cut into one yet since I just got back in town from a short trip, but I will soon. Updates coming.

Whoa, now that is a great looking plant. Can't wait till we get a report on the taste of those suckers... bet its got that rich, deep flavoring we've seen in other brown pods. NM is such a great looking pod... wish I'd got a couple to germ this time around.

Love the canning pics too btw.

Capsicum Select said:
That looks awesome Jeff! Definitely save some of those seeds.  Also, I'll definitely want to try my hand at pickles, those look really good.  What is your recipe for them?

These are just in 50% water 50% vinegar with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8tsp pickle crisp and 1/2 of a ghost pepper. No other spices.
Onions are done. I was shooting for 100 of them and I pulled 90 good ones so I think it worked out pretty well for my 1st year.

20140725_172716.jpg

Tomatoes- I've resorted to pulling them when they start to turn yellow to red. Got to get them before the critters devour them (squirrels don't seem deterred by the deer fence). They will just ripen at the table.

20140725_173509.jpg

poblanos and Anaheims. I'll fire roast most of these later today and freeze for green chilie sauces.

20140725_173435.jpg

Some jals, a purple jal,  a paper lantern, one overly ripe reaper and several of the newly coined Naga Morarch chocolate.
20140725_173449.jpg

Close up of the NMC.

20140725_173423.jpg

god, more cucumbers and another pull almost ready. Looks like more pickles. The wife wants spears this time. Who has a good recipe, I want to try something new.

20140725_173516.jpg

Red ghost o/w is very happy in it's 10 gallon root pouch.

20140725_171816.jpg

The astute observer will notice that I took over the table on the deck as well as the dining room table. Oddly enough, the wife hasn't really objected. She's coming around. :D

So with the onions out, and the beets coming out any day, that frees up some space. What to plant? Carrots?

TrentL said:
OK it's after noon now. You missed your chance for a naga chocolate omelet. 

But we're waiting..... :)

We've been roasting peppers then canning them, tomatoes and beets all day. I've been a bit busy. :D We have a park across the street that is having a festival tonight so, I just might be drunk enough to try the things later tonight. :drunk:  Those darn things look painful . :onfire:
On a side note, I still have one Naga morarch in a 5" pot (didn't have the heart to kill it and don't have room for it). It is putting out the correct red pods. All seeds from Judy.

Fire roasting- about 1/2 done.
20140727_123947.jpg

Note to self: since tomatoes don't need to be pressure canned, don't.           25 minutes under 11 lbs really turns them into well, well stewed tomatoes--which isn't really a bad thing but not really what I was going for. The rest will be water bath canned.

About 6 beers into the night last night, eating the NMC sounded like a good idea.....

Here is the chocolate one next to a regular Naga Morarch. The chocolate one looks quite a bit more like a bhut then it does a NM- both of these from the same seed packet. As a matter of fact, I pulled a red bhut out of the freezer last night to compare and they look very similar.
20140727_194834.jpg

Slicing this one open, you can see that oil coats the whole inside of the pepper. This thing will be hot.

20140727_194930.jpg

And the taste test:
The 1st thing I noticed when I cut the pepper was that there was no noticeable chinense smell at all. I was a bit surprised at this because the leaves of the plant look smooth and rounded like most chinense plants and didn't have that ripply look that my red bhuts have.  It smelled, honestly, just like a red bhut. 
I sliced off a good chunk off the pepper and ate it straight up to get a feel for the flavor. Very earthy flavor, very pleasant, nothing harsh tasting at all. Again, very much like a red bhut flavor, but more earthy. No floral or chinense flavor to speak of, if anything, it was kind of neutral tasting. This is a keeper.

After I enjoyed the flavor for a few seconds, my next thought was that this wasn't near as hot as I expected. And then it started to creep in........Within a minute, my mouth was on fire and tears were running down my face. Then the familiar pacing from room to room wondering how much worse it could possibly get. This lasted for a good 5 minutes before I could carry on a conversation with my wife, who at this time, thinks I am the dumbest person alive.

Here is the missing piece that did the damage.
20140727_200816.jpg

Heat guestimate: somewhere north of a million. No question that this is hotter than a red bhut, but no way is this hotter than the reaper. When eating a slice that size, the Reaper was the only pepper that ever drove me to get a glass of milk. This chocolate pepper wasn't that painful, but still hot enough that I couldn't really talk for 5 minutes.

There looks to be 100 of these peppers on the plant. I'm really happy that I enjoyed the flavor. This will make a great smoked powder this fall.

Next up, the Jigsaws look like they will be ripening soon.....

Funny story, my Brother-in-law who thinks he is a big pepper head ( he took some of my overflow habs last year) was at the house last night picking up some reloading supplies that he had been storing at my house when he saw the pepper laying on the counter. He asked for a slice and I trepidatiously cut off a sliver no more than 1-2mm and gave it to him with a warning as he walked out the door. You can probably guess what happened next. Within 5 seconds, he spit it out. 10 seconds later he threw up, and 30 seconds after that he was back in the house drinking large glasses of milk and swearing. Both my wife and his wife are laughing their asses off asking him what was he thinking. I think his wife said something like " you know who's house this is, why would you eat one of the peppers here".

Funny end to the night.

Jeff-
They make awesome powder , especially smoked. Kinda pissed at myself for not doing any Chocolate Bhuts /Nagas.....course the the difference was made up for with various Brown 7's(most of which came from Sawyer)Brown Morugas,.....so its not like I won't be want for heat. Looking forward to trying the "Not White Yellow Bhut" from Sawyer as well-as I have 3 ....or did when I left anyway ;)!

I've ended up with a few mixed up seeds from PL, but everyone was a keeper. Bugs the piss outta some people , I tend to like a good surprise.

Hi Jeff, you've been getting some fantastic pulls from your garden guy! We've still got a few weeks to go before we catch up to you here, but I'll be livin' vicariously until then... ;)

50% vinegar in a pickle brine seems a little much to me if you're also adding salt. Is this a new recipe or one you've made before?

gnslngr said:
Jeff-
They make awesome powder , especially smoked. Kinda pissed at myself for not doing any Chocolate Bhuts /Nagas.....course the the difference was made up for with various Brown 7's(most of which came from Sawyer)Brown Morugas,.....so its not like I won't be want for heat. Looking forward to trying the "Not White Yellow Bhut" from Sawyer as well-as I have 3 ....or did when I left anyway ;)!

I've ended up with a few mixed up seeds from PL, but everyone was a keeper. Bugs the piss outta some people , I tend to like a good surprise.

Yes Dave, this will make a great smoked powder.

I'll preface my next statement by saying that I have never tried the red Naga Morarch in the pic above. This was the 1st ripe pod, so I don't know what it tastes like, but based on what the chocolate pepper did taste like, I think I am agreeing with your comment about mixed up seeds.  It looks so much like a red bhut and tastes so similar, it almost has to be a chocolate bhut instead of a naga morarch. If only the leaves were bhut shaped, I would be convinced.

I'll snag some pics of the leaves after work and post them.

Most of the time, seed mix-ups annoy me greatly because I usually only have 2 or so of each variety, but in this case, I'm really happy. This plant makes the o/w list for sure.

stickman said:
Hi Jeff, you've been getting some fantastic pulls from your garden guy! We've still got a few weeks to go before we catch up to you here, but I'll be livin' vicariously until then... ;)

50% vinegar in a pickle brine seems a little much to me if you're also adding salt. Is this a new recipe or one you've made before?

Rick, admittedly, I've never used it for pickles before, but that is the standard recipe that I use for Pickleze (remember that thread), vinegar sauerkraut, and all of my pickled hot peppers. But then again, my wife and I like the strong vinegar flavor.
I shamelessly stole this pic from the internet. This guy's chocolate bhuts have the same ripply leaves that all red bhuts do. My NMC doesn't have the same leaves.

chocolate-bhut-jolokia.jpg

Jeff H said:
Funny story, my Brother-in-law who thinks he is a big pepper head ( he took some of my overflow habs last year) was at the house last night picking up some reloading supplies that he had been storing at my house when he saw the pepper laying on the counter. He asked for a slice and I trepidatiously cut off a sliver no more than 1-2mm and gave it to him with a warning as he walked out the door. You can probably guess what happened next. Within 5 seconds, he spit it out. 10 seconds later he threw up, and 30 seconds after that he was back in the house drinking large glasses of milk and swearing. Both my wife and his wife are laughing their asses off asking him what was he thinking. I think his wife said something like " you know who's house this is, why would you eat one of the peppers here".

Funny end to the night.

Oooh "random pepper victims" are always a highlight of any growing season. :)

My neighbor came over once to borrow something (battery charger, dunno). Was in the middle of making hot sauce. We got to talking about it, I asked if he'd try a bit to tell me what he thought of the taste. He agreed, so I went in and grabbed him a teaspoon with a few drops on it. Brought it out to the front porch, handed it to him.  He put the spoon in his mouth, pulled it out, and started to talk "Hey that's" .... Then his face turned BEET red, his eyes got REAL big, and he starts looking around like he's desperately trying to find something. He sprinted off the porch (flew down 5 stairs), yelling the whole way, ran straight to the sprinkler I had running in the yard, and shoved it in his mouth.

I almost passed out I was laughing so damn hard. ;)

It was an orange habanero sauce, spiked with a healthy amount of trinidad moruga scorpions. Those are easily right on par with Reapers (I can't decide which is hotter; they both hurt so severely). The entire sauce was probably north of 1 mil SHU.

Good write up on the mutant, BTW. :)

Loved the story of the self proclaimed pepper head.  Made me smile.

That was a sizable chunk you cut off too.  You going to try to save some seeds and grow it out to see if it continues?  I would OW that plant just in case since its got such nice pods on it.

Back