• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

TrentL said:
Dude those pictures look surprisingly like mine after mine got a whiff of 2,4-D (or whatever auxjn stimulant was on the wind that they hit the corn fields with).

Basing that on several aberrations shown, like too many flowers per node, extraneous small crinkly leaves, and WAY too much forking. 

If it was the same crap I got hit with, LET IT RIDE! Those plants will work themselves out.

The outcome was positive on ALL of the new plants that got a whiff of it. The overwinters required pruning intervention and root stimulant, but they're back to normal now.

+1 on that... we have to watch a tendency to over-pamper our plants and kill them with kindness. If you can figure out a way to passively warm the stunted plants, I'd try that. Failing that, I'd make sure they have enough water (but not too much) and let them get on with it. Cheers!

Thanks for all the good vibes everyone. There is a good possibility it will straighten itself out, especially as it warms up, but I only have 2 Caribbean Reds this year and really don't want to loose either. If this little one doesn't show improvement soon, I'm yanking it out of the soil and putting it in a pot on the patio to see if the MG soil works better.

On a side note, since the garden beds are newly made, I really only have a vague idea of the N-P-K  and acidity and I am just watching the plants to get a feel for what they need. After the season is over, I think I'm going to send in a couple soil samples and have it tested so I have a better idea of what I need to add next year. One site I went to quoted $15 per sample. Not bad for some piece of mind.

maximumcapsicum said:
Not too bad. You can get a kit on amazon with a couple hundred tests too if you want to do it yourself. I made use of one when I almost did an in ground garden at my old house.

WOW! thanks for the heads up Adam. Went to Amazon and they have 40 test kits for $17.00- free shipping since we have Amazon Prime.

Devv said:
I've been wanting to have my soil tested too, especially after all the changes I made last fall.

I'll let you know how it works out. I asked my wife to buy the one from Amazon.

Don't know how accurate or detailed the home kits are but worth a shot at that price. I sent mine off to VA Tech and think paid about $22ish for their full work up, include ph obviously along with organic content and suggestions for amendments. All states have their or own places to send them, colleges or coop groups. Plan on sending another sample off at the end of the season to see how my amendments changed the soil and what maybe needed for next season so I can get it in before winter time. Planning on adding a bit of sand over the winter and then rice hulls in the early spring to loosen up the clay some. If I were staying put there I would do a lot more but only 2 more years or maybe less before we can get out of the area.

Hope the 2 remaining carribean reds pull through.

I guess the only way to tell if the kits are any good is to buy one, AND send a sample in for comparison.

A home PH test is not that hard, learned this from Sawyer. Get some distilled water, check the PH to make sure it's neutral. Add some soil, shake it up and let it settle until it's clear. Retest.

My main concern is PH, I know the water has high PH here, which is why I collect rain water. Not enough of that!

Devv said:
Happy Fathers Day Jeff!

Thanks Scott. Hope yours was good too.

1st. I would like to say my condolences to any beneficial critters that may have gotten nuked. I'm really sorry. :tear:  but it was for the greater good.

I was out of town all weekend but before I left, I noticed that the new growth on a few pubes looked suspiciously like they were mite infested. Once I got home yesterday they looked a little worse, so I pulled a few leaves and checked them out under the magnifying glass. Yep, broad mites again. :censored: Why these things like my pubes so much, I'll never know, but at least I have gotten pretty efficient with dealing with them.

Mixed up some insecticide/miticide and sprayed away. :flamethrower: All the pubes and a few other plants that looked suspicious- although I only actually saw mites on the pubes. Respray in a few days.

Soil test kit arrived yesterday.
20140615_190435.jpg

Was anxious to try it, but the 1st line on the instructions said to collect the soil and let dry naturally. Of course, my soil is still soaked from all the rain, so I collected some, but I will have to wait for it to dry.

20140615_190454.jpg

The more I think of it, I have really no idea what the tests will conclude, but it will be good to have the knowledge.

Okay, enough doom and gloom. Most plants are doing great.

Jigsaw hanging around with the fern asparagus.
20140616_172530.jpg

Naga Morarch- getting nice and big.
20140616_172511.jpg

The above two are in the same soil plot with  red ghosts that don't look good and the two white ghosts that look fine, just much smaller.

Close up of all the maga morarch buds. Won't be long now.
20140616_172456.jpg

One of a few purple 'penos coming along nicely.
20140616_172633.jpg

Overwintered Red bhut in a 3 gallon pouch. I have a 10 gallon reserved for this one in a few weeks.
20140616_172649.jpg

Tomatillos are just about totally recovered from the mite invasion earlier this year. Lots of flowers and a couple of small pods forming.
20140616_173120.jpg

Healthy dinner tonight. After spending quite a few days in teh last two weeks on the RV, it is time to get back home and start eating healthy. Mahi mahi sandwhich and a salad. topped with a bi of yellow 7 powder. Perfect.
20140616_180638.jpg

Oh, and I can't forget my "I ain't winning no contest" plant. It is coming along nicely.
20140616_172443.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
Wow! Jeff the Jigsaw is looking very happy. Beautiful plants. Your going to have some nice pods. Good luck on the soil test. Mahi Mahi looks good.

Thanks OCD.

I haven't really had much of a chance to do the soil testing. I played with it a bit, but not enough to get any real food results. Maybe this weekend.

I have a new theory as to why some of my plants weren't looking all that good. Theory is: Jeff doesn't really have a clue, but mother nature will figure it out if given some time.

I walk the garden almost every day after work and although some of the plants seem stunted or delayed, they are almost all showing progress, healing their wounds and showing new growth. Of course there are the notable exceptions like the one Caribbean Red. I don't know what the heck is wrong with that one. It doesn't look any better. A few of jalapenos look like shit, a couple, really bad. A couple of red bhut o/w are struggling too, but I think they are strong enough to pull through. We'll see.

Everything else is looking good. Smaller than I would want for the summer solstice, but moving in the right direction.

Pics over this weekend.

Plants look good Jeff, that Jigsaw has really taken off!

Sorry about the continued mite issues. I think I have them knocked back for a while. My Manzano's keep getting aphids. No real difference between the raised beds and garden soil, really scratching my head. Garden plants are clean.

I tend to agree with you, the plants will kick in when they choose to.

Have a good one!

Jeff H said:

Thanks OCD.

I haven't really had much of a chance to do the soil testing. I played with it a bit, but not enough to get any real food results. Maybe this weekend.

I have a new theory as to why some of my plants weren't looking all that good. Theory is: Jeff doesn't really have a clue, but mother nature will figure it out if given some time.

I walk the garden almost every day after work and although some of the plants seem stunted or delayed, they are almost all showing progress, healing their wounds and showing new growth. Of course there are the notable exceptions like the one Caribbean Red. I don't know what the heck is wrong with that one. It doesn't look any better. A few of jalapenos look like shit, a couple, really bad. A couple of red bhut o/w are struggling too, but I think they are strong enough to pull through. We'll see.

Everything else is looking good. Smaller than I would want for the summer solstice, but moving in the right direction.

Pics over this weekend.

That's pretty much where things have been here too Jeff... Laying down the IRT mulch was enough for the Annuums, but I see now I should have left the Chinense and Frutascens varieties covered the whole time. With the exception of the freakish Naga King and the Manzanos, the chiles in my raised bed are all stunted, but coming along as the weather (slowly) warms. Hang loose brother... better times are coming!

Good on ya for getting the soil pH test kit... it'll sure come in handy... at least as a tool for figuring out what is or isn't holding plants back and getting the pH right in soil mixes. Taking a soil sample to your extension service before planting is a great idea since it tells you what your soil needs in the way of amendments, and it saves you time and money by telling you what it doesn't need as well.

Cheers!

Okay, a chinense update.

The 1st few pics were of struggling plants, but although still small, they seem to be shaking off whatever ailed them.

20140621_110442.jpg

Red Bhut o/w #1

20140621_110451.jpg

Red Bhut o/w #2

20140621_110503.jpg

Bhut Indian carbon. This one is vastly improved over the last week.

20140621_110509.jpg

White bhut #1

20140621_110518.jpg

White bhut #2

20140621_110529.jpg

Monster Naga Morarch

20140621_110603.jpg

And the only plant in Ghost pepper row that isn't a naga: My Jigsaw from Dale's seeds.

20140621_110654.jpg

As far as I can see, this is the 1st Jigsaw pod.

20140621_110746.jpg

Reaper in 5 gallon pouch- this is an overflow plant, but it is doing better than the two in the ground...

20140621_110756.jpg

Baby reaper pods.

That's 10.

20140621_110541.jpg

Monzano o/w

20140621_110847.jpg

Red bhut o/w #3. This one in potting soil is looking better than the two in soil for sure.

20140621_110901.jpg

o/w Paper lantern. It lost most of it's leaves early in the year. They are coming back now.

20140621_110919.jpg

PL #2

20140621_110933.jpg

One of two MOA

20140621_110949.jpg

Problem child Caribbean Red. It is a little bigger than the last photo.

20140621_110954.jpg

Other Car red

20140621_111015.jpg

Tabascos starting to pod up

20140621_111038.jpg

Wall of tomatoes
20140621_113427.jpg

New tomato sprouts are up. All Romas.

That is 10 again.

Back