• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Loved the story of the self proclaimed pepper head.  Made me smile.

That was a sizable chunk you cut off too.  You going to try to save some seeds and grow it out to see if it continues?  I would OW that plant just in case since its got such nice pods on it.

Yeah, and it hurt too. I don't do that too often, but you certainly have to taste test each new pepper, even when you know it is going to hurt .

Leaf discussion.

So here is a typical Bhut Jolokai from the garden. Over winter. Seeds from Judy last year. \
20140728_192318.jpg

Another o/w bhut.
20140728_192443.jpg

Here is a couple pics of my naga morich red that has been nutrient starved and stuck in a 5" pot. Note the leaf shape.
20140728_192348.jpg
20140728_192409.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of the Naga morich chocolate. Leaves don't look Bhutish at all.
20140728_192557.jpg
20140728_192607.jpg

We may have a new pepper mutation after all.

Oh and look what else I saw. Jigsaws are just about to start getting ripe finally.

20140728_192511.jpg

No tellin' Jeff , now you've got me curious as to the leaf angle...hmmmm.May go back in time an see if my second season is still in the depths of THP . Lots of Choc Bhuts and Red Nagas, and Black Nagas. As to what an "Official bhut" vs a an "Official Naga",really is , who knows!There is a slight piney earthy tang , or there was with my Choc Bhuts , where as the Black Nagas were more chinense , less floral.Perhaps its a "Chocolate Nhut"!The placentas are very similar looking-probably an "easy" cross, meaning due to their similarities genetically-a bee would do it easy.Now , you realize you are subject to "continued monitoring and commentary" expectations as to this guy.Popcorn time!

As to tasting the pods, yep, its fate.....how else are you gonna know what to do with it? Though , I will add , my last full pod was a 7 Pot Brown year before last , for Shanes birthday-and no , I don't video that stuff. Had enough beers in me , I said , oh ,hell, chomp....well "oh , hell" was serious understatement-I think  I lost a pound of just fluid weight ,  I had cold beer , MANY, but the typical 7 pot "lag" was evident. My guts HURT for about an hour , and just bright lights hurt like hell to see. Sure , get that post burn endorphin rush...like a migraine that feels like branding iron in your mouth. Of course you feel after it doesn't burn like hell anymore!!! When it came time for a Moruga Satan, I went with the smaller half thank goodness......couldn't really tell a difference heat wise except the Moruga S  is just IMMEDIATE. The 7 Brown feels immediate , but then just gets worse. I 'm cool with pieces now though;)

I'm always very "warning" when it comes to these critters, "Dude , don't do that , I'm not kidding...", really , then out pops "Mr Shit , boy , I eat jalapenos fer breakfast"...really ,"sheeeit boy...?" Hell , you need a whole mouthful then......then they see the train lights.... ;)!

Interesting .... take away the leaf shape debate and I think the Choc Naga Morich looks exactly like a Chocolate Bhut Jolokia ... certainly not like my Naga Norich from Judy anyway ... great glog by the way ... loving the fire roasting of those pods!! 

gnslngr said:
Now , you realize you are subject to "continued monitoring and commentary" expectations as to this guy.Popcorn time!

Not doing it alone Dave. If this truly is a new pepper variant, I want to get it out there. Seeds and fresh peppers will be available for others to grow and eat. Give it some time for more peppers to get ripe and send me your mailing address where I can send one or two peppers for your review ( when you are at home and not out on a job). :evil:

In the mean time, super hot harvest is coming soon so time to clear the freezer.

1st on the list is a gallon bag of Bhuts.

20140729_181047.jpg

This was the last of my bhuts from last year in the freezer. Now in the dehydrator. 

Still in the freezer- 1 gallon bag of yellow 7 pots and (3) 1 gallon bags of T scorp Butch T peppers. (now you know why  didn't bother to grow them this year. I have plenty.

I need to clear them out soon for marital bliss as I start to freeze this years harvest. I guess the dehydrator will be working overtime over the next couple of weeks.

Good stuff going on here Jeff!

Liked the Choc pepper review and "chilihead" story. I had fun in NY when my 3 brother in-laws ate supers ;)

Glad to see the garden production, your onions did really well, and it looks like the maters are doing well too. Ripening them on the table works for us here, or they get eaten by the critters.

Keep it green man!

Devv said:
Good stuff going on here Jeff!

Liked the Choc pepper review and "chilihead" story. I had fun in NY when my 3 brother in-laws ate supers ;)

Glad to see the garden production, your onions did really well, and it looks like the maters are doing well too. Ripening them on the table works for us here, or they get eaten by the critters.

Keep it green man!

Yeah, I'm happy with the onions for my 1st year. On the tomatoes: I was successful keeping the deer out with the 7' tall netting I hung around the tomatoes, but the squirrels are still getting in as well as other pests so I have resorted to pulling them when they first start to ripen. Seems to work out better.

Also, someone pointed out that I have been misspelling Morich and typing it Morarch. I think most of you knew what I meant. I corrected the thread title, and if I'm real real bored some day, I'll go back and edit the posts too. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I am working on clearing out some pods, but just of the ones I am growing this season.  Looking to convert them into sauce!!!

I shouldn't be too far behind you as far as kicking out pods.  Basically going to be work/peppers/sleep

Good luck!!!

A few pics I took right before I went out of town for the weekend.

1st batch of salsa for the year. Heat in here was jals, a couple monzanos and 1 white ghost. Next time, I'll use a red ghost instead. A little more heat and a better flavor.
20140801_213131.jpg

20140801_172458.jpg

The white ghost in question. Too habby tasting for me. I guess whoever made the white ghost crossed a white hab with a ghost. Anyone know for sure?

20140801_172444.jpg

1st red ghost. More are turning now. Good thing. I still have plenty of powder, but none in the freezer.

20140801_172434.jpg

1st 3 Jigsaws. Soon a taste test on these...

20140801_172414.jpg

Paper lanterns- pretty much my staple pepper. I put that shit on everything. Always have a shaker of flake handy to heat up any pizza/pasta/ anything else I can think of.

20140801_172401.jpg

The new Naga Morich chocolate. Photo was from 8/1 showing varying stages of ripeness. When I checked on them all yesterday they were all that dark brown color of the 1st pod I photographed. All these are headed to the freezer. When I fill a gallon bag, they go in the dehydrator.

That is all for now.

You're ahead of me on the pod ripening process.  Things are looking good. 

I noticed my first early white bhuts were white hab looking and I believe I heard the same thing about that cross.

I grow lanterns too, but they have a bit of an after taste that I don't really care for.  I keep meaning to not grow them, but the plant full of hanging ripe pods is just so sexy looking.

Jars of Salsa already ?...You're ahead of the game...looks good. Bhuts and Scorps seem to fit into a citrus salsa better than the tomato based. I'm pretty fond of the New Mex pepper varieties for the traditional salsa....imo

Check out those Jigsaws.....I'm bringing a few to a bbq this weekend....I'm curious on the heat and flav

Yes sir! Glad to see the color up your way!

It's my understanding the White Bhut is a Hab cross. Adam posted that a while back after some research, they have a Hab look too.

PIC 1 said:
Jars of Salsa already ?...You're ahead of the game...looks good. Bhuts and Scorps seem to fit into a citrus salsa better than the tomato based. I'm pretty fond of the New Mex pepper varieties for the traditional salsa....imo

Check out those Jigsaws.....I'm bringing a few to a bbq this weekend....I'm curious on the heat and flav

They are plenty hot, but have a nice flavor in food, almost sweet. Used a portion in an Omelet. A keeper in my book.

PIC 1 said:

I don't feel they are lacking at all in the heat dept.

I asked Judy at PL last year about her white ghost and, yes, she said she crossed a white hab with a yellow ghost.  So if that's where your seeds came from, that's straight from the horse's mouth.

Tasty looking salsa.

Congrats on the new pepper strain.

You need to isolate some flower buds from that now, and get some pure pods to see how 2nd gen turns out next year. :)

Playing catch up. Great review in the Chocolate. I'm glad you found a new fav. Fun story. I like the salsa. Suppose to get some pods in the mail soon and am going to make a batch of salsa. I've been out for awhile. Pods are looking nice as well.

Have a great week Jeff

HillBilly Jeff said:
You're ahead of me on the pod ripening process.  Things are looking good. 

I noticed my first early white bhuts were white hab looking and I believe I heard the same thing about that cross.

I grow lanterns too, but they have a bit of an after taste that I don't really care for.  I keep meaning to not grow them, but the plant full of hanging ripe pods is just so sexy looking.
Yeah, I've noticed that aftertaste too. It doesn't really bother me though. Better when dried.

PIC 1 said:

Romas planted in mid Feb are ready to harvest at the end of July. With a little luck, I'll get a 2nd harvest. I put 10 more plants in the ground earlier in July. We'll see......

Jigsaw taste test: if I have the time and beer, later tonight.

Devv said:
Yes sir! Glad to see the color up your way!

It's my understanding the White Bhut is a Hab cross. Adam posted that a while back after some research, they have a Hab look too.

They are plenty hot, but have a nice flavor in food, almost sweet. Used a portion in an Omelet. A keeper in my book.
Thanks Scott for the confirmation. I'm not sold on the flavor though. We'll see if I end up liking it better or not as the year progresses. I have two plants, so plenty of pods.

HillBilly Jeff said:

I don't feel they are lacking at all in the heat dept.

Nope, but not as hot as a red bhut for sure.

jedisushi06 said:
Nice salsa! I can't wait to get mine made this month
More to come later this week. Have to use up the tomato harvest while it is available.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice looking salsa batch Jeff! Yeah I think white bhuts are half hab. Mine grew orange, but the taste was nice. That plant has sense slowed down quite a bit.
Thanks Adam.

Sawyer said:
I asked Judy at PL last year about her white ghost and, yes, she said she crossed a white hab with a yellow ghost.  So if that's where your seeds came from, that's straight from the horse's mouth.

Tasty looking salsa.

My seeds came from Ramon. I believe he did get them from Judy but I might be mistaken on that one.

TrentL said:
Congrats on the new pepper strain.

You need to isolate some flower buds from that now, and get some pure pods to see how 2nd gen turns out next year. :)
That is the plan Trent. I have some isolation bags ready to go on a few flowers soon. I will have a handful of isolated seeds to send out later this year. PM me if you are interested.

OCD Chilehead said:
Playing catch up. Great review in the Chocolate. I'm glad you found a new fav. Fun story. I like the salsa. Suppose to get some pods in the mail soon and am going to make a batch of salsa. I've been out for awhile. Pods are looking nice as well.

Have a great week Jeff

Thanks for stopping in. Yeah, like the chocolate one. Salsa is a great way to burn up some peppers.

More salsa in the plan for tonight. Got quite a few tomatoes to burn up. Heat for this batch will be mostly various types of jalapenos and probably a chocolate naga Morich or two. Not too much of the super hot though. I'm not trying to actually hurt anyone in the family.

Back