• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

PIC 1 said:
Check out those Jigsaws.....I'm bringing a few to a bbq this weekend....I'm curious on the heat and flav

Well, I'll have a better write up tomorrow with some pics, but I can definitely say that they really hurt.

Cliff's notes version: I ate a chunk off of the tip. Smelled and tasted red bhutish to me. Heat was a creeper. hot as hell, but not too painful.

Another THP member came over to trade some peppers. I gave him a sliver deeper into the pepper and he seriously felt it. Really hot.

Like an idiot, I tried another sliver after dinner. Ouch ouch ouch. The tears started pouring for a good minute or so. I shooed my wife away as she gawked at me again thinking I was the stupidest person in the world.....

Over the top hot. Still not as hot as the reaper I had, but this is the closest I think. After my 2nd taste, I think this is hotter than the Naga Morich chocolate.

Ok, so I'm the one that drove across town to meet Jeff.
I swear, everytime I go to do something like this I feel like I'm doing something shady. Driving across town with a baggie full of pods to meet a guy and get some pods from him.
Anxiously anticipating which pepper Id try out.. Did I bring enough "beverages" in case I got in over my head..???
So, Jeff walks me around his garden, pointing out all the different varieties. Gets me all hot and bothered about taste testing something. I finally decided i couldn't wait any longer. I asked Jeff to get me a sliver of his Fatali Gourmet Jigsaw. He came out with a thumbnail sized piece and ploppedit into my palm. I thought "What the hell?! Why not?! "
Well, it was good. Really tastey, very crunchy. Right away, as I'm trying to discern the different flavors coming at me, I alreadybhave that feeliny in my mouth and throat that the heat is coming... Oh brother it's coming. From the bowels of Hell that train came up my throat at me. Before I knew it tears were streaming from my eyes, my head was dripping sweat. Then as I tried to talk my open mouth began dripping what felt lile buckets of drool.
That FGJigsaw was no joke. It tasted so good and crunchy it made up forbt the burn. 3-5 mins in, the burn plateau'd. The bad news was that it stayed right there scorching my throat for what felt lile another 5-10 minutes. Jeff was quite the host andbdid offer me a frosty glas of milk, but I refused andsettled for a lukewarm half drunk bottle of water from my car as I left with my goodies.
I can't wait to try those Naga Morich Chocolates, the other FGJigsaw & the White Bhuts!
Thanks again Jeff!

Good to see you again Bryant.

Too funny. Damn that pepper was hot.

A couple of pictures:

20140806_174947.jpg

I would post a photo of the inside, but the camera decided to take a blurry photo. <sigh> :banghead:

There was a review of the Jigsaw posted the other day on here where the reviewer read something saying that this pepper was a cross between a scorpion and a fatalii. I went to Fatalii.net (creator) to try and find that same information and I couldn't find it on his site, which is fine with me because I don't think it is all that accurate based on my taste tests.

If you ask me, there is no discernible fatalii or scorp flavor in this thing at all. It is very floral in a red Bhut sort of way. If you like the flavor of a bhut, you will like this. If you don't, you won't like this.

That Chinense citrusy flavor that is very prominent in both the fatalli and the Scorp Moruga isn't here at all in the one I ate, which is good for me since I don't like that flavor. Like I said before, it reminds me more of a red Bhut than anything, but it is different. The heat builds slowly, and this thing is hotter than a red bhut. Once the heat is there, it is instant tears and although I didn't hic-cup, if I would have eaten a larger piece, I would have for sure.

Now my seeds came from Dale's growing thread, and they were in a sealed plastic envelope from Fatalii.net, so I'm reasonably sure the seeds came straight from the creator.

20140806_180222.jpg

Just a pic of some of the pods on the plant. Very mean looking.

20140806_180159.jpg

A good shot of the leaves. What do you see??????? Yep, the bhut wavy edges. Again, the leaves don't look like any fatalii or Scorp that I have seen.

IMHO.

Loving the pod write up. Hard to nail down those flavors... Really floral means like a dozen different things, and comes in many different forms. Those jigsaws are so hot though it's hard to nail down what is happening. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though... They getting dried for powder? I made a mix of bhut and reaper powder but all I can really taste is heat so far. Got to keep experimenting.

maximumcapsicum said:
Loving the pod write up. Hard to nail down those flavors... Really floral means like a dozen different things, and comes in many different forms. Those jigsaws are so hot though it's hard to nail down what is happening. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though... They getting dried for powder? I made a mix of bhut and reaper powder but all I can really taste is heat so far. Got to keep experimenting.

No kidding they do. In this specific case, when I mean floral, I mean that specific smell that you get when you cut a red bhut open. When I cut the Jigsaw open, I was reminded of how my deck smelled last week when I was dehydrating 4 trays of bhuts. Nice thing about the Jigsaw is that it is a creeper. Both Bryant and I both got a really good taste of the pepper before the heat kicked in. I think it tastes nice.

HillBilly Jeff said:
According to what I could find, it seems to have moruga in it.  Not sure what else is in it, but considering the name, one would think there would be fatalii in it.  

http://www.fatalii.net/FG_Jigsaw

Thanks for the link Jeff. I couldn't find it when I went looking the other day.

GA Growhead said:
I assumed they are TS moruga blend and jukka's naga morich.

Could be. Don't know. Doesn't smell or taste like a moruga to me though.

stickman said:
Another nice review of the Jigsaw Jeff. How are your raised beds and "anti-deer" plantings working out?
Thanks Rick. The anti deer seems to be working out fairly well. I haven't seen any damage from deer in a month or so. Squirrels on the other hand are still getting in the tomatoes. I put a tall deer fence around the tomatoes, and I would enclose the top, but I'm afraid that the bees won't be able to get in then. Some how the tomatoes are still getting eaten. Squirrels must be able to get over it somehow, although I can't see how they can climb it without getting tangled up.

I've just been picking the tomatoes when they just start to turn red. I get most of them before the animals do.

20140807_191134.jpg

Annuums are doing okay. Not relly that great, but they are producing. I think the soil was too rich for them because quite a few jals show real signs of nute burn on the leaves and I haven't added anything all year.
20140807_191124.jpg

Pasillas are doing nice though. All these get dried for sauces.
20140807_191152.jpg

Up close of the tomatillos behind the deer fence. That fence is almost 7' tall.....Tons of small tomatillos and lots more flowers, but I have only pulled 1 ripe tomatillo off the 4 plants I have. These things take forever to bear fruit. How is everyone else's doing?
20140807_191220.jpg

Reapers podding up.
20140807_191244.jpg

Another Jigsaw shot
20140807_191059.jpg

And wrapping it up with the Naga Morich chocolate
20140807_191048.jpg

This year, I have 4 really nice tasting super hot varieties (I have more, but not ones that I really like), and I still have a freezer full of the Scorp Butch Ts from last year. That makes 5 varieties.

I think I'm going to try a blend of powder this year with all 5. Just need a catchy name on what to call it.

TSBT
Jigsaw
Reaper
Red ghost
Naga Morich Chocolate

Yum.

Jeff, beautiful garden photos and great write up on the Jigsaw. Pretty cool to have a THP member drive over and expierence the "pepper pain" with ya. I'm bringing some Jigsaw's and other peppers to a chilihead bbq this weekend. Haven't tried one yet, but they're finally ripening up. If I don't get to lazy and liquified afterwork I'll shoot a few shots of the plants and cut open pods.
Enjoy your weekend.....hope it's a scorcher !

I hear ya on the Annuums Jeff... I gave mine a good base dressing, but didn't exceed the recommended application printed on the bag. At least you shouldn't have any problems with BER on the Pasillas like I did the 2 previous years. :)

I started my Tomatillos at the same time I started my Tomatoes... early March. I got my first pull of about 3 pounds of Tomatillos about 3 weeks ago, but I'm still waiting for the next round. They're covered with little ones, and I should be able to start pulling those next week.

My guess on what's eating your Tomatoes is Chipmunks. They're small enough to wriggle through the mesh on the netting and they will cliimb up the plant to get at the fruit.

Glad to hear you're keeping the Deer at bay though...

If you've got a freezer full of Butch Ts, you're packing some serious heat! If you're gonna use them in powder, I recommend using them in a blend in small quantities. Otherwise you risk a powder so hot that you can't taste anything but the capsaicin. Try mixing some into a mild,  good-tasting powder to counter it. Smoked Spanish Paprika is cheap and readily available these days and would make a good base for you to tweak with your Habs and Supers.

Cheers!

Love the Jigsaw review!

I tried one in the morning, it was hot! Anytime I taste I usually chase the piece down with water, or a "preferred beverage" but it was early and I had coffee in front of me.  Ever take a shower after the pepper juice burns ANY part of you? Well hot coffee is NOT the beverage to chase with! I found the Jigsaw to have a fantastic flavor when used in food, I would say it was sweet tasting with cherry overtones.

Jeff,

You're garden looks spectacular! I'm impressed!

Keep it green buddy!

First, great shots of the garden.  My tomatillos are loaded and I feel the husks and they are about ping pong ball size right now.  I am going to let them go until they turn all brown or drop.

Powder catchy name.....Considering what you have going into it....I'd call it HOLY SHIT  Not sure how many Yankees were part of Murderer's row, but you couldn't be too far off.

I planned on bajio going into my next sauce as a secret ingredient.  I love what it does to some dishes.  Looking like it might have to make it back to the grow next year.  Just make sure they get good and brown.

Glad the color fairy has decided to come to your plants.  And great reviews of those peppers. It is curious how you note the leaf shape between the bhuts.  I will have to check mine out again. I don't think they are that wavy.

Looks like things have kicked into high gear for you, Jeff.  Mine are coming along, but not quite there yet.  I've been noticing in several glogs how consistent the Jigsaw appears, just like the ones I grew last year.  I think the guy at fatalii.net has done a good job with this one.  I've got four plants in my garden this year; I'll have to take a closer look at them today.  These are from Fatalii.net seeds, via Bakers, not seeds I saved last year.

Thanks for all the good vibes everyone. I've been really busy so far in Aug and it probably shows since I haven't spent much time on here lately.

I did manage to get a few new shots. Nothing spectacular.

20140810_145416.jpg

The NMC is producing quite a bit. Anyone want seeds? I froze these but there is another pull ready this weekend. I can deseed them if there is a demand for them.

20140810_145433.jpg

Jigsaws. Probably the best producer this year. Only 1 plant, but it is loaded.

20140811_113429.jpg

Apparently, there isn't enough room in the kitchen for all the new pepper creations. I was instructed by my wife to add some new counters................. Visited the stone store today to pay for the new granite.  I had to call all over town to find someone who had a slab remnant that matches the counter tops we already have.

Made some more salsa the over the last week, no pics of the finished product yet, I'll get some later today. I made this in two batches. 1st batch had 8 lbs of tomatoes. 
20140806_180410.jpg

It made about 8 jars of salsa. 2nd batch I made last night used 10-11 lbs. (both trays were full).

Just like all my other cooking, I only loosely followed this recipe. One major change is that I added enough vinegar to get the pH low enough to safely water bath can (and my whole family likes the flavor of vinegar, so it was a win/win.) It took 3 cups to get 8 pints of salsa down to 3.8-4 which is where I called it good. Also, nothing was put in the blender, just the food processor to keep it chunkier.

I've managed to burn through quite a few of the Romas with the salsa creations. The rest will get canned whole. The 1st batch of romas are just about done. Only a few green peppers left.

The 2nd batch of salsa was better. I made it hotter than the 1st.

10-11 lbs Romas Roasted.
2 heads of garlic. Roasted
1-1/2 lbs jalapenos roasted
1/2 lb serranos
1-1/2 lbs white and red onion (mixed)
3-1/2 cups white vinegar
2 Tbsp salt

Cook for about 20 minutes then water bath can for 20 more.

Great pulls and salsa.  I see you are using roma tomatoes.  Have you ever used Super Boy?  Those are the ones I like for my salsa.  Not sure on the roma.  How do they do and what are their protections.

Good luck on the countertop!!!

Back