• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

OK... I wasn't sure if you were putting them away for the winter.  If you want a thicker salsa, you could roast the tomatillos instead of simmering them. Roasting the onion and garlic before making it gives a deeper flavor too. I have 4 tomatillo plants that are just loaded ATM, so I've gotta get on the stick and can some up too. :drooling:

Tomatillo salsa looks really good, as well as the recipe. It should be nice and tangy!

How's the weather holding up your way?

stickman said:
OK... I wasn't sure if you were putting them away for the winter.  If you want a thicker salsa, you could roast the tomatillos instead of simmering them. Roasting the onion and garlic before making it gives a deeper flavor too. I have 4 tomatillo plants that are just loaded ATM, so I've gotta get on the stick and can some up too. :drooling:

Your recipe looked great over in your glog, but I didn't see acid. You pressure canned yours? I have the pressure canner in the basement, but it is such a production to get it out and moving, I usually just opt to add more acid and waterbath can.

Devv said:
Tomatillo salsa looks really good, as well as the recipe. It should be nice and tangy!

How's the weather holding up your way?

Thanks Scott. Weather is holding out fine here in southern Ohio. I hear it is getting cool up north where Jeff and Trent live, but we are a bit warmer.

Capture.JPG

We should make it at least most of the way through October before a freeze, but with the weather this year, nothing surprises me.

Nice work with the salsa verde..

3 lbs of Tomatillo's .....for 3 pints of salsa verde sounds bout right. I don't grow those, there's not enough room in my garden, but with all the Latino mkts around I'm seeing them for 49 cents a lb. I usually pick up 20 lbs worth, that with the other ingredients adds up to 24 pints. I tend to go heavy with the peppers...Poblano, Hatch, Serranos, both green Jalapeno and red (for color). Everything gets roasted on sheet pans in the oven...skins left on the Onions and Garlic. 

Although I do blanch the red plum and pear Tomatoes and remove the skins when making a red salsa, I haven't used the food mill for the Tomatillo's. After roasting and letting them cool the pulp can get squeezed into a stock pot leaving the skin and core behind.....the remaining juices from the sheet pans also get added......for that roasted flav. 

No need to add water to the tom's if using only a stock pot, just cover with a lid and simmer on low. They'll steam and the juice's will leach from the pulp.

Now you have me thinking of making a verde.....I'll have to check the garden for peppers......... :D 

PIC 1 said:

After roasting and letting them cool the pulp can get squeezed into a stock pot leaving the skin and core behind.....the remaining juices from the sheet pans also get added......for that roasted flav. 

I can see how that would work. Tomatillos just completely turn to pulp when you cook them. I did a bunch of roasted salsas earlier this year, but that wasn't the flavor profile I was going for in my girly verde sauce (specifically made for the wife since she does a fair amount of complaining about the heat level of our food).

I just quartered them and tossed them in a pot with a little water to get them started. No water next time. I don't think it was needed.

Shot of the bush in the front yard. Garden protector on watch duty. I would complain about him not being in the back yard, but I really haven't had any pests (other than the f-ing mites) so I guess these guys are doing a good job.
20140917_184245.jpg

Hey Jeff, just stopped by to say howdy and check out the last couple of pages.  
Great looking sauce you have going there, bud!  And a nice variety on your last
little pull - the skinny yellow ones look awesome - which are they?

Hasn't been too cold up here....mid to upper 40s for lows and from the looks of things only one night next week in the 40s.  Sure seems to be slowing the ripening process a bit.

My tillos didn't do much of anything for me.  Got a couple pickings off of them and gave them to coworkers.

Another week, another rather large pull from the supers. Again another reminder why I won't be growing as many of these next year. Only so much powder a guy can make. Clockwise from the top left: Ghost, reaper, Jigsaw, NM chocolate.

20140923_190338.jpg

You can tell is is fall. The general size of the peppers are smaller than they were a month ago. Maybe 30% smaller.

The flash washed out the reapers a bit, but these have a nice tail.
20140923_194006.jpg

Where's that "eye pop" emoticon when ai need it.
Looks great Jeff!
I got your PM.
I'll take as many of those jigsaws & choc nm's as you want to give up. Let me know. My days are wide open til 2:30. Feel free to leave a bag hanging on your bushes, lol....
Ps, i still have a few more fresh pods off that choc trin scorpion as well as from your old yellow brainstrain.
Pm'ing you now...

Nice harvest!

I assume your plants will be slowing down as the temps get lower, and there is probably not much time left in the season.

Time to start thinking about next year...

Brutaldiver said:
Where's that "eye pop" emoticon when ai need it.
Looks great Jeff!
I got your PM.
I'll take as many of those jigsaws & choc nm's as you want to give up. Let me know. My days are wide open til 2:30. Feel free to leave a bag hanging on your bushes, lol....
Ps, i still have a few more fresh pods off that choc trin scorpion as well as from your old yellow brainstrain.
Pm'ing you now...
PM back at you Bryant.

slade122 said:
Nice harvest!

I assume your plants will be slowing down as the temps get lower, and there is probably not much time left in the season.

Time to start thinking about next year...
Yes, we have about a month left if we are lucky. Already thinking of next year. :D

Devv said:
Very nice Jeff!

You could always make a puree out of the supers....
Supers are all getting frozen for the moment. I'll decide what to do with them over the winter. :D

It's been great that these 4 plants, well 7 but almost all the pods are off of 4, have been doing great this year. Most of my plants did like crap.

Here's to next year. :cheers:

Remember that chipmunk that was eating my tomatoes? Well, I never was really successful finding him or keeping him out of the garden, but he got his just rewards today.

20140925_172309.jpg

Now, if I could only keep a couple of these guys on hand all season long, I wouldn't have to worry about chipmunks, squirrels or rabbits ever again.

Nice pics of your pulls Jeff... I hear ya 'bout pods getting smaller and only being able to use so much powder... I have a quart jar almost full of powder from my Chinense pods and a few of my sweet Paprika pods for aroma and flavor.

Nice pic of the immature Cooper's Hawk with that pesky Chipmunk... cool that you were looking in the right direction with a camera. :)

Take care buddy!

stickman said:

Nice pic of the immature Cooper's Hawk with that pesky Chipmunk... cool that you were looking in the right direction with a camera. :)

For some reason, I just had this feeling that you would be able to identify it. My wife asked what it was and my answer was: some kind of hawk,  falcon, small eagle. What does it really matter, it is cleaning up the critters. :D

Now, I just need to find a way to keep them around.

Jeff H said:

For some reason, I just had this feeling that you would be able to identify it. My wife asked what it was and my answer was: some kind of hawk,  falcon, small eagle. What does it really matter, it is cleaning up the critters. :D

Now, I just need to find a way to keep them around.

That's easy... hang up bird feeders to attract small birds and rodents... the natural prey of Cooper's Hawks. ;)
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_hawk/lifehistory

And put up a nesting platform.  I don't know if that will attract a Cooper's, but any bird of prey would be nice to have around.

Back