• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Jeff H said:

Your recipe looked great over in your glog, but I didn't see acid. You pressure canned yours? I have the pressure canner in the basement, but it is such a production to get it out and moving, I usually just opt to add more acid and waterbath can.
Sorry Jeff... I missed this post the first time through...   Here's the recipe I used for the canned Tomatillo salsa... It called for lemon juice and canning in a hot water bath canner...    http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html%C2 We ate one of the jars when we went down to Hammond Castle, and it's very tasty. I'd omit or severely cut down on the Oregano though... I used the full amount called for and thought it made the salsa too bitter for some folks. Cheers!

I think a hawk has taken care of my vole problem.  I went to check a rat trap I'd set baited with peanut butter, near where I had seen/heard evidence of vole presence.  The trap was sprung, with nothing in it and a hawk flew from the thicket across the fence as I walked up.  I don't think the hawk robbed the trap, but I haven't seen or heard any voles since and the sweet potatoes and carrots are starting to recover.  I'd like to put up a nesting platform of my own, but it's pretty far down the to-do list.

We have quite a few birds of prey flying around our place. If they're getting squirrels, I'm not seeing a decrease in population. But they (squirrels) seem to leave the garden alone and concentrate on the dog dish..LOL

I do worry a large Hawk may carry off a Rat Terrier....

Devv said:
We have quite a few birds of prey flying around our place. If they're getting squirrels, I'm not seeing a decrease in population. But they (squirrels) seem to leave the garden alone and concentrate on the dog dish..LOL

I do worry a large Hawk may carry off a Rat Terrier....

You bring up a good point. My dog is only 16 lbs. There are certainly birds of prey large enough to be trouble for hte dog, but luckily, I haven't seen one around here any bigger than that hawk.

Nothing really photo worthy going on in the garden. Season is winding down with 3 week or so before the 1st frost. Tomato and peppers are still producing, just slower. Carrots are about the only late season crop that decided to sprout and grow so they are doing fine.

I did plant garlic yesterday. About 100 cloves. Both hard and soft neck. We'll see what grows best in this climate. I just need to remember to get a bunch of mulch on them (especially the soft neck) before the heavy freezes come.

How are the second batch of Tomatoes doing? Ours are just flowering, and in 2-3 gallon pots. I bought some 7 gallon pots for them and the pineapples, but need more potting soil.

Will be on the hunt for potting soil sales this weekend ;)

Yeah, my rats are around 11 pounds, they're outside dogs and are close to 4 years old...so far no problems..

Devv said:
How are the second batch of Tomatoes doing? Ours are just flowering, and in 2-3 gallon pots. I bought some 7 gallon pots for them and the pineapples, but need more potting soil.

Will be on the hunt for potting soil sales this weekend ;)

They are doing fine Scott, thanks for asking. Most are putting out smaller tomatoes and the 1st ones are just starting to turn ripe about now. There won't be a big harvest of them but I will continue to pick fresh tomatoes until the frost kills them, but I won't likely do this again next year. I bought an indeterminate paste  tomato when I bought the garlic. They should keep me going all year without the need to plant new ones.

Yes, potting soil soon for me too. Only O/W a few this year, but I want to have some already purchased (read: in the basement, dry and no fungus gnats) for when it is time to start the new seeds in a few months.

Good idea on buying the potting soil now and letting it dry out. I'll spread it out on the driveway and let it dry, then bag it and bring it inside. I actually found ants in some potting soil, not sure what kind. But I always half fill a 5 gallon bucket and work from it. I poured it out on the driveway and let it bake for 2 weeks, raking it every so often to check. 

Did you plant them in the ground or pots?

Our second crop goes in pots and we can move them into the shop when it gets cold. Of course cold here is a 3-4 day deal, then the front passes and they're back in the sun.

Ideally the second crop should be planted so it's coming in as the first starts to fade, but dang, I was so busy with the garden it happened later than it should have..

Hows the Comfrey? I have half of them in dirt now...

Devv said:
Good idea on buying the potting soil now and letting it dry out. I'll spread it out on the driveway and let it dry, then bag it and bring it inside. I actually found ants in some potting soil, not sure what kind. But I always half fill a 5 gallon bucket and work from it. I poured it out on the driveway and let it bake for 2 weeks, raking it every so often to check. 

Did you plant them in the ground or pots?

Our second crop goes in pots and we can move them into the shop when it gets cold. Of course cold here is a 3-4 day deal, then the front passes and they're back in the sun.

Ideally the second crop should be planted so it's coming in as the first starts to fade, but dang, I was so busy with the garden it happened later than it should have..

Hows the Comfrey? I have half of them in dirt now...

2nd tomato crop is in the ground. I planted them at the right time, but our season is shorter than yours.

Comfrey is coming nicely. 18" tall or so after growing all year. Only one plant tried to grow a flower but I cut it off early and it never attempted another one. I'll harvest it when I chop down the rest of the garden in a couple of weeks. --> everything into the compost pile.

I haven't posted much here lately. The wife has put me to work. She decided we needed a new oak floor in the kitchen.

20141004_120712.jpg

20141004_120705.jpg

I've never seen recessed grills before. These are really cool. I bought enough to retrofit the family room too. They don't take too long to put into an existing floor. I did one last night in about a 1/2 hour with just a router, a chisel and a hammer.
20141004_120727.jpg

This is the part that sucked the most. It takes forever since each board had to be cut out and the new one driven in, but it does look good now that it is done.
20141004_201226.jpg

Almost done.
20141004_201212.jpg

Floor is all done as of last night and covered with rosin paper. I'll sand it and stain it this weekend.

Some garden pics. This is the most special pod in the whole garden. This is the only isolated pepper I was able to get this year. I bagged a bunch of blossoms, but this was the only one to pollinate. I have plenty of OP seeds if anyone wants to grow their own NM chocolate, but the isolated ones stay with me until I get more.
20141006_184001.jpg

Stupid rocoto looks happy and healthy now that the weather has cooled off and is sporting tons of blossoms. It must not realize that the killing frost is only a couple of weeks away. :rolleyes:
20141006_183939.jpg

Jigsaw is just loaded with red and green pods. Tons and tons and tons.
20141006_184017.jpg
20141006_184029.jpg

That is all for now. Have a great day everyone.

Hey Jeff. Everything's looking great in your patch. Loving that jigsaw. My yellow brain, reapers and choc trin scorpion were the same way. They are still trying to put out flowers left and right. I'm cutting everything back today or tomorrow to get them ready for ow. I'm tired of this danged Cincy weather keeping me on the edge of my seat. Lol
Let me know if that jigsaw or any other interesting plants in your patch need a home for OW'ing.... I may be able to squeeze 1 or 2 more in my basement !

Heh... my Manzanos are doing the same thing... at least I got a dozen ripe pods from the 2 plants. I'll be over-wintering one of them and giving the other to a friend to try and OW himself.  Nice pulls for the end of the season... are you gonna cut down any plants with half-ripened pods and hang them up to finish?

Brutaldiver said:
Hey Jeff. Everything's looking great in your patch. Loving that jigsaw. My yellow brain, reapers and choc trin scorpion were the same way. They are still trying to put out flowers left and right. I'm cutting everything back today or tomorrow to get them ready for ow. I'm tired of this danged Cincy weather keeping me on the edge of my seat. Lol
Let me know if that jigsaw or any other interesting plants in your patch need a home for OW'ing.... I may be able to squeeze 1 or 2 more in my basement !
Keep in touch Bryant. I'm only planning on over wintering 4-6 plants so if you are looking for one, let me know. I know there are Reapers, MOA, a bhut or two and some others that won't make the cut.

stickman said:
Heh... my Manzanos are doing the same thing... at least I got a dozen ripe pods from the 2 plants. I'll be over-wintering one of them and giving the other to a friend to try and OW himself.  Nice pulls for the end of the season... are you gonna cut down any plants with half-ripened pods and hang them up to finish?

I'll cut down a few to get them to ripen the green pods. Certainly the Jigsaw, NMC and a bhut or two. All those will be over wintered so when I trim them back, I'll leave the pods on the green branches like you did.
No plant pics today since it has been raining all day. I did take the day off of work and finish the kitchen floor. That has kept me busy since 9AM.

20141010_094044.jpg

20141010_120037.jpg

20141010_145414.jpg

20141010_153017.jpg

A couple coats of urethane tonight and tomorrow and it will be all done and ready to move the island and table back in.

Nice job on the floor Jeff! It's a ton of work, but came out great.

Plenty of Jigsaws on the way too!

My Comfrey is about 5 or 6"s tall now, I'll bet I can cut it once before it gets cold here.

Nice job on the floor Jeff... hopefully that keeps your wife happy with you when you bring up the subject of overwintering a few plants inside... ;)  Your plants are still looking great... it seems a shame to take them down now, but needs must eh?

Devv said:
Nice job on the floor Jeff! It's a ton of work, but came out great.

Plenty of Jigsaws on the way too!

My Comfrey is about 5 or 6"s tall now, I'll bet I can cut it once before it gets cold here.

Spicy Chicken said:
Nice job buddy!! looks awesome of course, would like to see it with the poly on... trim etc  :party:

Edit:  :rolleyes: Plants and pod are saaaweeeeeeeeet!!  ;)
Thanks you two. Poly is on in the pics below, but for some reason, the two cans I used didn't match each other, so I'm going to have to do the floor one more time when I do the family room later in November. I bought two cans of semi-gloss, but one is clearly satin. Trim is later this fall.

PaulG said:
You are an artist, Jeff!
I don't know about that Paul, but I'll take the compliment.

stickman said:
Nice job on the floor Jeff... hopefully that keeps your wife happy with you when you bring up the subject of overwintering a few plants inside... ;)  Your plants are still looking great... it seems a shame to take them down now, but needs must eh?
Thanks Rick. I already have approval for the 5 plants I am bringing inside.

Yes, plants were looking good still but the frost is coming and I'm too busy over the next couple of weeks to get everything done, so it had to be done this past weekend.

End of Season pics from this past weekend.

-All the plants have been pulled except for the 5 that I will o/w. I pruned them back substantially and I'll give them a week or so to recover before I dig them up and bring them in.  Monzano,  Red rocoto, red ghost, Naga Morich Choc, Jigsaw.
- Comfrey was harvested.
-All of the plants and the comfrey were ground up with the mulching mower to start this fall's compost pile. The leaves will be adding to this in a couple of weeks.

A few harvest shots.

The Chinense: From the top left: Jigsaw, white ghost, red ghost (single MOA at the bottom, NMC, Reapers and finally the paper lanterns.
20141019_152420.jpg

The annuums and tabasco.      A little bit of everything in here.

20141019_153126.jpg

Tomatoes and tomatillo- I see some verde sauces in my future.

Errr, pic didn't come out. I'll take another one later and post it.

Kitchen is coming along. Some of hte appliances were delivered Saturday. The microwave had to be re ordered since it was broke from the factory, but everything else is in.

20141018_175625.jpg

I get the old fridge in the garage for all the peppers and beer. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

20141018_175548.jpg

Dishwasher to clean off all of the capsician off of everything.

20141018_175519.jpg

Cool new induction stove for hot sauce making.

I spent a bunch of money in there, but hopefully I don't need to replace anything for at least 15 years.

Back