• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

On the cost topic, I don't mind the cost too much, but I don't seem to get much benefit from doing these big winter grows as I thought I would.

Not sure of my actual electric rate, so I'll steal Sawyers $.0787.

600 watts/16 hours a day X 30 days X $.0787 =$23.00/month. Not really a big deal, but not really worth it through the fall and early winter IMHO. At least for this year I am giving the big indoor grow a break and will just focus on starting new plants in the late winter.

Very busy weekend, but I finally found time on Sunday to get that pickling done before the peppers went soft. Rick (stickman) gave me a great recipe that I wanted to try, but I wasn't able to get one necessary ingredient on Sunday so I just used my traditional canning method.

Sandwich peppers

20140907_190839.jpg

20140907_190855.jpg

7 pints from that bowl of peppers a few posts up.
several types of 'penos,
paper lanterns,
cayenne
thick cayenne
a couple onions

50/50 vinegar and water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pickle crisp per jar.
boiling brine poured over the peppers and water bath canned for just a few minutes so the peppers don't get too soft.

Nice looking pickles.  I used only 1/8 tsp CaCl (pickle crisp) per pint and no salt in my jalapeno rings last year and they turned out nice and crisp, even at room temperature.  I found one place that recommends as much as 3/4 tsp per pint, but maybe that's for whole cucumbers.  That was also on a vendor site, so maybe they just want to sell more.

Sawyer said:
Nice looking pickles.  I used only 1/8 tsp CaCl (pickle crisp) per pint and no salt in my jalapeno rings last year and they turned out nice and crisp, even at room temperature.  I found one place that recommends as much as 3/4 tsp per pint, but maybe that's for whole cucumbers.  That was also on a vendor site, so maybe they just want to sell more.
Yeah, I meant 1/8 tsp. Just mistyped it. Basically, you just follow the directions on the jar of pickle crisp.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Peppers are looking pretty good.

Thanks Jeff, yours are looking pretty good too.

Looked at the calendar this earlier and thought to myself, crap, it is Sept already. Better get that garlic ordered. So this is my public service reminder for those of you who are as scatter brained as me and tend to forget those things. Order the garlic soon.

I did get mine ordered. I was hoping to buy only from a couple seed companies this year to keep shipping costs down, but Johnny's doesn't seem to carry garlic so I'm trying someone new this year: Territorial Seed Company. I ordered both onions and garlic from them a few minutes ago. We'll see how well they do.

I'm surprised Johnny's doesn't have garlic.  They're out of stock on ginseng seed this year, too, which sucks because they had the best quality and price from my experience.  I've had good luck with garlic from Nichol's Garden Nursery and Southern Exposure Seeds.  Though with the potato onions, shallots, walking onions, and elephant garlic I've held over this year, I'll probably just pick up a bulb or two of garlic at the grocery.

Sawyer said:
I'm surprised Johnny's doesn't have garlic.  They're out of stock on ginseng seed this year, too, which sucks because they had the best quality and price from my experience.  I've had good luck with garlic from Nichol's Garden Nursery and Southern Exposure Seeds.  Though with the potato onions, shallots, walking onions, and elephant garlic I've held over this year, I'll probably just pick up a bulb or two of garlic at the grocery.

Garlic should be here Friday. We'll see how the new company does.

A few new pics.

Comfrey pic. This is what crown cuttings look like after the 1st year. The smaller ones in front are the root cuttings.
20140909_175644.jpg

Today's harvest. A little of everything in there. Bhuts, reapers, lanterns, pasilla, thai, cayenne, MOAs, purple 'penos and some long green annum that was sold as a golden cayenne at Lowes, but is something different. A little heat, above a poblano, but not much higher. Tastes pretty good though. Looks to be a good saute pepper.
20140910_202930.jpg

This was the largest pasilla bajio I have pulled this year.
20140910_203017.jpg

I didn't get many MOAs this year, maybe a dozen or so. As far as I can remember, I think this is the first one that had all 4 lobes correctly formed.
20140910_202950.jpg

20140910_202943.jpg

The annuums are getting close to being spent. So are the habs and scotch bonnets. Still blooming, but there isn't time before the 1st frost which I'm hoping is still 6 weeks away, but who knows with this crazy ass weather this year. The supers are still pumping out the pods though. More ripen every week. Good thing I only planted 1/2 dozen this year.

Comfrey is on the list to order this weekend. It's cooling down enough that I can plant really soon.

MoA looks perfect! I had 4 plants, just one really produced, so more for next year for sure. I love that pepper.

Nice haul, and I hope the weather holds!

Great-looking harvest, Jeff.  Are you saving seeds from that MoA? 

There's a definite chill in the air here today.  It got down to the upper 50s last night and is headed to the upper 40s for the next couple of nights, so they say.

My second round of Bocking #4 should arrive today, crowns this time, instead of roots.  My #14 has, at times, looked a lot like yours, but only when the rabbits were temporarily distracted.  Now that the season is open and temps have cooled, I think it's time for rabbit stew

PIC 1 said:
That's a perfect Bonnet.......I'd be munching on that with a plain bag of potato chips and a cold one.
I would too, but I got so few bonnets this year that they all are going straight in the freezer so I can make jerk sauces this winter.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Excellent looking pods and that bonnet is picture perfect.
Thanks Jeff

Devv said:
Comfrey is on the list to order this weekend. It's cooling down enough that I can plant really soon.

MoA looks perfect! I had 4 plants, just one really produced, so more for next year for sure. I love that pepper.

Nice haul, and I hope the weather holds!

Looking forward to seeing your Southern Comfort comfrey.

Sawyer said:
Great-looking harvest, Jeff.  Are you saving seeds from that MoA? 

There's a definite chill in the air here today.  It got down to the upper 50s last night and is headed to the upper 40s for the next couple of nights, so they say.

My second round of Bocking #4 should arrive today, crowns this time, instead of roots.  My #14 has, at times, looked a lot like yours, but only when the rabbits were temporarily distracted.  Now that the season is open and temps have cooled, I think it's time for rabbit stew

No I didn't save the seeds. It was closely packed in with other plants and not isolated.

I agree on the rabbit stew. Although a short fence should keep them out.

A couple of interesting pics. The beans have been growing all year but haven't put any beans out. I was out in the garden the other day and noticed some finally growing. Look at the size of this one. The ones I am growing are supposed to be nice and long, but 24" :eek:
Tomatoes and tomatillos too.
20140912_171004.jpg

This is the entire 1st pull of tomatillos. About 3 lbs. There is about that many more on the plants that I'll get before the firs frost. All husked, washed and ready to become a verde sauce of some kind, or maybe just a verde salsa. Don't know yet, but I need to get that done over the weekend.
20140912_180544.jpg

I have to admit, I'm not as big a fan of tomatillo-based salsa as I am of tomato-based.  I do like eating them fresh in the garden, but that only goes so far.  I'd love to see/hear of recipes for a good tomatillo-pepper sauce

HillBilly Jeff said:
I wasn't really happy with my tomatillos this year.  Mainly because I don't know what to make them into lol.

Post your creation when its done!!!

Sawyer said:
I have to admit, I'm not as big a fan of tomatillo-based salsa as I am of tomato-based.  I do like eating them fresh in the garden, but that only goes so far.  I'd love to see/hear of recipes for a good tomatillo-pepper sauce

I've been giving this some ideas and here is what I've some up with so far.

20140913_091336.jpg

Need to get some cilantro at the store too.

Comments/ideas?

Glad to see the tomatillo's came in well.

We go to a local "hole in the wall" Mexican restaurant that makes green enchilada's with chicken, and the sauce is tomatillo based. I have no idea how they make it, but it's darn good and worth a Google ;)

Not pepper related but for those of you with satellite that aren't too young in years, my wife stumbled onto channel 369 on Dish tonight. It's playing live concerts all night. Iron Maiden now, then Judas Priest and Guns and Roses. I love this channel. Great to listen to while I'm doing chores around the house. :D

I've listened to Live after Death a thousand times. The concert I'm watching now is from 2008 and when Bruce sings the old songs, everything is exactly the same. Too funny.

Up the Irons. :evil:

Devv said:
Glad to see the tomatillo's came in well.

We go to a local "hole in the wall" Mexican restaurant that makes green enchilada's with chicken, and the sauce is tomatillo based. I have no idea how they make it, but it's darn good and worth a Google ;)

Thanks Scott. I have a couple enchilada green sauce recipes. Maybe for the next batch of them. The wife wants her own milder salsa and she is a fan of tomatillo based verde sauces. I have a couple cases of hotter salsa for me, now time to keep her happy. The poblanos and whatever the heck they are green chilis should be perfect in heat for her.

Jeff H said:

I've been giving this some ideas and here is what I've some up with so far.

20140913_091336.jpg

Need to get some cilantro at the store too.

Comments/ideas?

You probably won't need any lemon juice in the salsa verde unless you plan on canning it to store Jeff... they're tangy enough by themselves.

Nice looking pulls you've been having lately, and the sandwich peppers look tasty too. Good on ya!

stickman said:

You probably won't need any lemon juice in the salsa verde unless you plan on canning it to store Jeff... they're tangy enough by themselves.

Nice looking pulls you've been having lately, and the sandwich peppers look tasty too. Good on ya!

Tangy, yes, and close but not quite acidic enough for a quick worry free water bath. pH of the salsa minus lemon was 4.1. Add lemon, 3.70. I'm fine with that.

Here is the finished recipe:
3 lbs tomatillo
2 med white onions
1 bed red onion
2 poblanos
1 thick fleshed unknown annum that wasn't too hot.
6 cloves garlic
5 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 cup or so chopped cilantro
1 cup water
salt to taste

Simmer quartered tomatillos in water until everything turns to pulp then run through the food mill to get rid of the skins.

Saute onion, peppers and garlic until tender and then recombine with deskinned tomatillos. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook down enough to get a thick chunky salsa .

20140914_171759.jpg

20140914_171836.jpg

And canned. Only 3 pints. I thought it would be more.
20140914_200240.jpg

Back