• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Jerk seasoning

Since I grew scotch bonnets for the first time this year, I decided to try to do a Caribbean Jerk seasoning to flavor my steak. Here's a pic:

410110777.jpg

I modified a recipe I found online - here's what I came up with

about 3 tbsp of chives
3 scotch bonnet (peppers seeded and chopped)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground allspice
1 1/4 tsp dried thyme
about a tbsp of finely chopped, fresh, cinnamon basil
just a bit of salt and pepper

I'm curious to see how it will turn out. I'll be grilling tonight. If I understand it correctly, the meat for this is better when cooked lower and longer, correct? Anyway, I'm excited to try it out.

Since I grew scotch bonnets for the first time this year, I decided to try to do a Caribbean Jerk seasoning to flavor my steak. Here's a pic:

410110777.jpg

I modified a recipe I found online - here's what I came up with

about 3 tbsp of chives
3 scotch bonnet (peppers seeded and chopped)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground allspice
1 1/4 tsp dried thyme
about a tbsp of finely chopped, fresh, cinnamon basil
just a bit of salt and pepper

I'm curious to see how it will turn out. I'll be grilling tonight. If I understand it correctly, the meat for this is better when cooked lower and longer, correct? Anyway, I'm excited to try it out.

You didn't say what kind of meat your using?
Pork is normally smoked with pimento wood, chicken is usually done with the skin on and charred on the grill then smoked indirectly.
A friend of mine was a percussionist in our band, and years back in our travels we tripped to Jamaica in search for a "Steel Drum" which he shipped back, til this day I can still recall the trail of pimento smoke in the air...
The Jamaicans used just about any to grill there meat on, they constantly flipped the chicken around until the skin was black, but the meat was tender...yum
That's one reason I'm a big fan of the Scotch Bonnets,
good luck with your dinner...mon...I also have a favorite recipe, someday I will share...

Sorry, been out of town most of the day - beef is what I'm using, sirloin I think. I didn't check that out I was more concerned about using my peppers to be honest :lol:
Anyway, I got back too late tonight to have it cook as long as I wanted on the grill. Here's a picture of the meat now - it'll have to wait to be cooked till tomorrow, but that gives it that much longer to sit in the spices...

steak.jpg

I don't have a smoker, just a grill, but after reading stuff on here I'm tempted...

Anyway, thanks for the responses, I'll have to post something tomorrow after I eat. And PIC I'd love to see the recipe :drooling:

I tried to grill the steak slower than I normally would and did ok. It got a bit crispier than I wanted it to on the outside. The flavor was great though, and the warmth from the peppers just sat in my mouth for awhile, a good slow burn that went well with the meat. I can see how this would be wonderful with it smoked or slow cooked all day.

I use scallions instead of chives, but that's very similar to how i make mine. I hit everything in the food processor and make it more of a paste.

I use scallions instead of chives, but that's very similar to how i make mine. I hit everything in the food processor and make it more of a paste.

The recipe called for scallions, but I didn't have time to run to the store and we had chives in the garden :lol:
I imagine the taste is similar. I think I might chop it up more next time as well. We just got half a hog in the freezer, so I'll have plenty of pork to try it out on.

Back