• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Jerky Basics 101

I have recently started making my own beef jerky and thought I would put up a simple pictorial guide to how I do it. If anyone would like to offer suggestions to improve my technique, please do so!

Some basic rules to jerky:
*Jerky is dried, not cooked, so don't be in a hurry!

*Since jerky is dried, you will need to add salt, so it doesn't make you sick.

*Some add sodium nitrite as a preserving agent, but if you plan to consume it soon, keep it in the fridge, just use ordinary salt and CLEAN YOUR HANDS when making it!!
If you plan on selling your jerky, seek advice from a professional.

Since jerky is dried, make the process as sanitary as possible. This will reduce the chance of introducing bacteria and other nasties.

most recommendations I have read say that you should dry at about 145degF/63degC in order to kill bacteria - I have a thermostat on mine which goes up to 63degC and that is where I dry mine.

the longest I have ever dried beef jerky for was 14 hours due to the thick slices I used. recently I used a jerky cut board and sliced all pieces to exactly 3/8 inch and it took 12 hours to dry. I don't know how powerful the Ronco is but rotating trays 'every 12 hours' seems like an odd instruction. I rotate mine every 2-4 hours. if your dehydrator is not very powerful try thinner slices of jerky but do not dry for too long when the meat is thin otherwise you'll get cardboard. if your slices are 3mm thick I would be surprised if it took longer than 4-6 hours total drying time. 6mm (quarter inch) should probably take 8-10 hours depending on your machine. I checked the ronco site and the 5-try goes to 133F but I couldn't find the 7-tray, I guess it would be similar so that should be enough heat, it then comes down to the power of the fan and how much air it can blast through your machine.

as far as marinading goes, I usually make up my mix and stick into a large ziplock bag and then into another ziplock bag (in case of leaks) and leave in the fridge for 12-36 hours, turning over the bag whenever I remember to. really make sure you get your rubber-gloved hands into the mixing bowl and ensure every piece of meat is covered with your mix before you bag it. once you are ready to load the dehydrator, reserve the excess marinade and spoon/brush over your slices after you turn them over at the 2 or 4 hour mark, it won't make any difference to the drying time but will help to enhance the flavour.

EDIT: just watched the little video clip at http://www.ronco.com/FoodDehydrator/ and it doesn't look like there is a fan in their machines so that will definitely add to drying time. it may be quicker to dry in your oven if it is fanforced, just leave the door slightly ajar and use the temps mentioned above - and still rotate the trays.

JayT, I agree with everything CM64 has said and will add my own little thing....

Where is the salt??? Soy sause alone isn't really enough salt to help with the curing....If you plan to put it in the fridge and eat it all within days then it's not to bad but you still should have some salt in it.......I would be adding a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt to that mixture....

Next time write down the amounts... cause if you feel that you would like to change the flavour a little then you don't actually have a reference to review....

I know nothing about your dehydrator mate, sorry, but if it has no fan then I would be looking to dry the meat in the oven on it's lowest setting and leave the door open slighty (if it's fan forced)......

If you do use the dehydrator, then rotate the trays.......I rotate my trays every 2 hours and turn the meat very 4 hours....even without a fan it can't hurt to rotate....

I hope it all works for you mate..

If you're using a fanless Ronco (or Mr. coffee type), an oven(fanless), or a smoker to dehydrate then I'd especially recommend using sodium nitrite to cure your meat since an oxygen free environment between 40-140F is where botulism thrives

Thanks for the replies guys. I am only making a small batch which I am sure will be consumed this weekend at my deer camp. I am going back for one last hurrah. Moyboy, I used a generous helping of hickory smoked salt so that is not a concern. I decided to give it a go with the dehydrator. The meat marinated for a little over 24 hours. I didn't measure the ingredients, but I know how much I used. You are right Chilliman it is a fanless dehydrator and I think that may be why the suggested drying times are so high. I will keep an eye on it and rotate every few hours. Thanks again to all and I will let you know how it turns out. No one said, how's the marinate sound?

[quote name='JayT;134210 No one said' date=' how's the marinate sound?[/QUOTE']

Er, yummy?

Hope it goes well JayT, I would just be careful of the amount of liquid smoke, it can be overpowering if used too heavily.

RS

I know RS I have used it before in marinades. I only used a couple of tablespoons. It smells wonderful. I sprinkled some extra Fatalii powder on one of the trays when I put them in. Just rotated for the first time two hours in and looking good.

:edit: four hours in and I just flipped and rotated again. Looking and smelling good. Seems that Ronco had no idea what they were talking about in their manual about the drying time.

JayT said:
Moyboy, I used a generous helping of hickory smoked salt so that is not a concern.

Sorry mate.....:oops: I must of had a brain fart when I was reading the post......

JayT said:
No one said, how's the marinate sound?

The marinade sounded bloody great actually........but I still stand by my comment of "Take measurements next time"....

Now........

Don't hold back any longer......What did it taste like????

Sorry I was away for a couple of days. It was awesome! Slightly smokey and salty, then HOT! I loved the tray that I added the fatalii powder to, but most said the regular was almost too hot so I only gave that to a couple of people. Batch one was a success.

I like using fatalii powder on my jerky also - I usually use about one rounded ts per pound of meat, that gives a good level of heat without it being too hot.

I thought of a cool jerky flavor, Bloody Mary, but it already exists :(
Still sounds killer though.

well I didnt know where to post this, since theres 2 jerky threads going. this thread has more hits than the other & just a jerky thread in general. maybe combine both threads ?
anyways heres the jerky I finished just a bit ago.

ingredients (didnt measure anything)
venison roast
soy sauce
teriyaki sauce
sweet n sour sauce
orange hab powder (had alot of hab powder vs thai otherwise would of kept with the theme of it)
ginger powder
cinnamon powder
garlic powder
white pepper powder
sea salt
chinese 5 spice powder
little bit of lime juice

DSCF2067.jpg

of course the dog was waiting for me to give her some jerky. didnt put it in the smoker for first half like I wanted to do cuz it was to cold out (-30F windchills today -3F for high today)

That looks great chilehunter.....

I'm glad I've stil got some jerky in the fridge cause i'm drooling looking at that pic now....:)

And yes, That's bloody cold......

heres another batch of venison jerky, some of these were cut a little thicker than the previous.
ingredients -
venison
worcestershire sauce
smoked hab powder
arbol chile powder
busha brownes spicy jerk sauce
garlic powder
black pepper
ground coriander
parsley
thyme
cumin powder
sea salt
lemon juice
liquid smoke

DSCF2095.jpg

DSCF2127.jpg

moyboy said:
Well what did it taste like....Sound lovely.

I've never tried venison....

sorry to say I have not tried this batch of jerky yet, because I had a big dinner earlier that consisted of a thick venison steak :lol: plan on eating some of it tommorrow (jerky)
when I have venison I eat it damn near every meal!! until its all gone. then I'll be mad that its all gone :(:lol:

venison is like beef but leaner, it also depends on the location as to what the deer feeds on, you can have it taste very close to beef or gamey. the ones around here are fed well so they taste very close to beef or you cant tell the difference.

hey I've never tried kangaroo :(

chilehunter said:
well I didnt know where to post this, since theres 2 jerky threads going. this thread has more hits than the other & just a jerky thread in general. maybe combine both threads ?

Hey CH,

I started this one as a "tutorial" on jerky, and also a recipe base. But as with all forum threads, it's kinda morphed into the total jerky thread! All good, keeps everything in the one place!

Your venison jerky looks great, but the colour is much browner (??) than mine. Is that because of the cumin, or some other additive?

Also, how long, what temp (and roughly how thick were the slices) in your dehydrator?

Cheers,

RS

ring sting said:
Hey CH,

I started this one as a "tutorial" on jerky, and also a recipe base. But as with all forum threads, it's kinda morphed into the total jerky thread! All good, keeps everything in the one place!

Your venison jerky looks great, but the colour is much browner (??) than mine. Is that because of the cumin, or some other additive?

Also, how long, what temp (and roughly how thick were the slices) in your dehydrator?

Cheers,

RS

I've read this thread since the start of it, & posted on the other "venison jerky thread" but I also thought why have 2 threads of the same thing (no offense to that other thread) like I said this thread seemed more of a "jerky thread" in general.

brown color, are you talking about both batches or just 1 of'em ?
I'd say it's because of the soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, worcestershire sauce. I also take the meat straight from the bowl dripping into dehydrator.

I use a dehydrator & set it at highest temp 150F
as for time length ? depends mostly on thickness of the cuts & how dry you want the pieces. I didn't pay attention to time but 1st batch I'd guess at 4-5hrs 2nd batch around 8hrs.

that 1st batch had some really nice thin cuts, cuz of almost fully frozen meat when I cut them.
2nd batch the cuts got a little thicker cuz it was thawed more by accident. thicknesses ranged from .25 - .5 inches

Hey Ch,

yeah, the marinade colour, before cooking...

Reason I asked about time/thickness is because I just got a dehydrator, so no more oven drying for me!

I looked at the other jerky threads before this one, and I thought an idiot's guide to jerkin' would be handy! A compliment that it now is more viewed than the other general jerky one!

RS

Back