• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Jerky Basics 101

I have recently started making my own beef jerky and thought I would put up a simple pictorial guide to how I do it. If anyone would like to offer suggestions to improve my technique, please do so!

Some basic rules to jerky:
*Jerky is dried, not cooked, so don't be in a hurry!

*Since jerky is dried, you will need to add salt, so it doesn't make you sick.

*Some add sodium nitrite as a preserving agent, but if you plan to consume it soon, keep it in the fridge, just use ordinary salt and CLEAN YOUR HANDS when making it!!
If you plan on selling your jerky, seek advice from a professional.

Since jerky is dried, make the process as sanitary as possible. This will reduce the chance of introducing bacteria and other nasties.

Jay T , teach me here

Isn't Jerky supposed to be thin slices of meat , marinated with what you like , and then dried ? In your photo above .... the meat looked like chunks of stew meat. Did you make Jerk from the chunks ?

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Looks great JayT. I love Deer Jerky!

P.Dreadie, those do look like thin cut "chunks" of meat. I think what might have thrown you was that they are not long strips of meat, they are more like nuggets.

They are cut into 1/8 to 1/4 inch strips. The roast was long and thin and had a vein of fat running through it that I removed so the strips actually became about inch and a half to two inch pieces. I like small pieces anyway since it will be so hot. Most people cannot handle a whole long piece so it gets wasted. This is more or less a small test batch anyway. If it works I will be doing a larger batch later in the week.

dreadie - you can make jerky out of chunks of meat, 1/2" - 3/4" thick, just they need more time to marinate & dry.

JT - so far it looks great!! cant wait to see the pics.

I also made 2 big batches of venison jerky last weekend (to bring back to ND), 1 worchestire/hickory flavor & another 1 hot asian style. I have the before pic but the after pic didnt come out right (cuz of camera was outside in the cold) but have some pieces left over with me.

the people willing to try the asain style all said "thats too hot!" I would only rate it about 6-7, 1 guy handed the rest back to me & said "I cant eat that $#^&(&(%$ " while he got all red,sweating, wiping his eyes & drinking water :lol:

I just put them in the dehydrator and sprinkled them with more hickory smoked salt, and fatalii powder. Should be ready about midnight I think.

JayT said:
If it works I will be doing a larger batch later in the week.

JayT said:
I just put them in the dehydrator....Should be ready about midnight I think.

Pepperfreak said:
Can't wait to see the finished product Jay

smilie.gif
AnimatedWaitAMinuteSmiley.gif

damn this is the most time consuming dried jerky I know of! :lol::P

ok since JT failed us, I'll post my venison jerky I made couple weeks ago.
left pieces/bowl are a worcestershire, hickory style (no heat)
right pieces/bowl is a hot asian style, too many ingredients to list (well that I care to write now)

1st pic was at home, pics came out bad for final pics at home, had some left (weeks ago) that brought with me.

DSCF3806.jpg

DSCF3854.jpg

Oh damn and I have eaten almost all of the two batches I made. I guess I will have to make some more. Big Fail.

JayT said:
Oh damn and I have eaten almost all of the two batches I made. I guess I will have to make some more. Big Fail.

I demand we remove one of his crowns as a punishment!!!!!!!

:lol:

I made some jerky with corned beef (siverside). Way to salty, or I didn;t like their brine. So, I'm making a do over with the same recipe using the same cut.

RS

Thought I would post here an "exciting" development in my jerking!

If you over dry the jerky, a good recovery is to throw it into your coffee/dried chilli grinder. You end up with shredded jerky that imparts all the flavour, can be chewed like cud and is delicious!

i havent tried this with chunk jerky, but with strip jerky it comes out all fluffy, looking like wood shavings. Stuff that has been through a mincer and jerk gun turns into powder, which is not so good.

RS

Thought I would post here an "exciting" development in my jerking!

If you over dry the jerky, a good recovery is to throw it into your coffee/dried chilli grinder. You end up with shredded jerky that imparts all the flavour, can be chewed like cud and is delicious!

i havent tried this with chunk jerky, but with strip jerky it comes out all fluffy, looking like wood shavings.

thats a great idea!!! that never crossed my mind before. I'll have to try that next time if the jerky does get a little too dry, how did your coffee grinder hold up to that kind of abuse & did it chop it up w/o any problems ?

well I found some venison roasts leftover from last season, yea yea thats a hunters sin to have leftovers before the next season starts but kinda difficult to bring/cook it in a motel & still waiting to pick up my deer from last week cuz of summer sausage being made.

back to this venison jerky I made. I used the store bought jerky packets then made my own flavors & I added some water to thin out a couple of the sauces. the 5 flavors I made are worcestershire, teriyaki, chipotle, orange/ginger, black bean. couple of the items shown were not used cuz didnt need all of it or found some leftovers in the fridge, added some lime juice to all. the black bean I added some bhut jolokia powder to the marination, & blended 1 can of chipotle into sauce.

100_7356.jpg

this is after they've been marinating for at least 48 hours.

100_7363.jpg

its done. orange/ginger (upper left) chipotle (upper right) worcestershire (bottom left) teriyaki (bottom middle) black bean (bottome right)

100_7377.jpg

well I made some more venison jerky several weeks ago, made 9 different flavors 1 lb each, the flavors are left to right top to bottom (far as I can remeber the order in the pic)
guinness 250 anniversary beer
worcestershire
chipotle - w/canned chipotle & left over chipotle hot sauce

soy sauce
caribbean jerk - w/jamacian hot choc. powder
spicy black bean

teriyaki w/sesame seeds (it was in the sauce)
orange & ginger (asian sauce)
hot orange & ginger - w/orange hab powder

100_7387.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I think belongs in this old thread.

I am using a sodium nitrite curing salt for my jerky. It's been several months since I've done this so I forget... Is there a MAXIMUM time I should be marinading my meat when using sodium nitrite? Ie: If I over marinade will there be too much nitrites in my meat? I will be using the recommended 1/4 tsp per lb of meat.

Thanks,
-Rob

Back