• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Joyner's Hot Pepper Powders 2014 GLOG

As of now here is the somewhat final list for the 2014 growing season...the 7 pot red has a question mark because I am waiting to see if I can use a 1/2 acre in Va of my uncles and isolate. It is very hard to leave over 100 different varieties in the seed bin and not grow them all out!

Best of luck to everyone and I plan to get seeds started in the next few days.

ProMix

Ah that's right! I had a feeling you had mentioned it somewhere.

How are you liking it? I can't get any of the western brands here, but might look for something similar next year.

filmost said:
Ah that's right! I had a feeling you had mentioned it somewhere.

How are you liking it? I can't get any of the western brands here, but might look for something similar next year.
The plants love it. I used it in my square foot gardens and had amazing results. 

Looking good Chris. You have mentioned having a bad spring so far, but you wouldn't know it by the looks of the plants. 9 weeks till plant out. Plenty of time.

Jeff H said:
Looking good Chris. You have mentioned having a bad spring so far, but you wouldn't know it by the looks of the plants. 9 weeks till plant out. Plenty of time.
Thanks, I guess the potting up and moving to a new location for the grow really helped. I plan to build a grow room this year for next season. Now I just need to finish putting a sand top coat on the rest of the plants. :)

jedisushi06 said:
Pro mix rocks, you can mix it with happy frog and extra perlite for a great combo.
For this round I use other nutrients in the watering but I agree, in my square foot gardens it gets tons of goodies to go with it like chicken poop, crab shells, bat guano, mushroom compost, vermiculite to name a few

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Thanks, I guess the potting up and moving to a new location for the grow really helped. I plan to build a grow room this year for next season. Now I just need to finish putting a sand top coat on the rest of the plants. :)

i've seen these in some glogs, what does the top coat of sand do?

@jojo - helps keep the fungal gnats in check since they cannot lay their eggs in the moist dirt. I also only bottom water, all those cups are in giant trays and I pour a gallon of water in the tray each watering. 

jojo said:
I like the look of the top sand...  can u use any kind of sand, play sand?
I used play sand since I didn't want to risk adding salt as an example. 

These guys have a good view, one of the 3 trays enjoying the sun.

1780751_748130735220655_1578280579_n.jpg

Still need to finish off the damn sand!!!

I've been using perlite for the same reason Chris. Seems to work good. The fungus gnats aren't too fond of expanded volcanic glass.

Good idea! I will be topping off with perlite now.

Back