• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Just Got Mauled!

well Last night that is with dinner.
I decided to slice up a fresh banana pepper from the grocery market to put on a sandwich i was making as it was in the oven gettin oozey goozey i just non chelantely scratched myself appropriatley, Then BAM!! I thought my jewels were actually going to Burn up n shrivel and wither away!!!! this was just a banana pepper too! and when i bite into this pepper i taste no heat at all I'm kind of confused that a very mild pepper can cause soo much discomfort, any one ever got burnt by a banana?

Jolokia's are worse :shocked:

I never realized how often I scratch my butt without knowing it, one sure fire way to nip that bad habit in the butt lol cooking with Bih's.

Had you been using some other peppers during the day? Maybe it was something else you touched.

I had it happen when I was seeding Mouse Sheet peppers. It burned like crazy for a couple of minutes, but it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling once I got use to it:onfire:

ive had that happen. just got done making my hab sauce, finished up washed my hands. must not have washed good enough.

I grew some "inferno hot bananas" this past year and that's how I found out how hot they were...

dairy products that are high in fat will help...blurb from google search

"Capsaicin is insoluble in cold water, but freely soluble in alcohol and vegetable oils. This is why drinking water after munching an habanero pepper won't stop the burning. A cold beer is the traditional remedy, but the small percentage of alcohol will not wash away much capsaicin. For relief from a chile burn, drink milk. Milk contains casein, a lipophilic (fat-loving) substance that surrounds and washes away the fatty capsaicin molecules in much the same way that soap washes away grease. "

This thread reminds me of my first experience cooking with habs, when I was a youngin' I decided to make the hottest chili I could. I went to the market and asked the guy what was the hottest peppers he had , he handed me what he just called "jamaican hot peppers" it was mix of red ones yellow and orange, not sure exactly what types they were but Im sure they were some sort of hab or scotch bonnet, well to make a long story short, i cut them up (whithout gloves) and afterwards managed to have touched my face my eyes, and my jewels, I was walking around half blind with a burning sack for hours, not very pleasant.

oh and recently I had this happened with a more milder pepper, I cut up some cherry peppers and touched my face and that burned for quite awhile as well.

-Rich

LOL...I'm a big fan of the alcohol based hand sanitizers to cut the pepper oils with. Every so often I get a nice lil cough going when I'm cooking with certain peppers and the lid is off the pan and the steam rolls up! :onfire:

Back