• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Just put up a third batch

sliced peaches, 4 dried ghost pepper pods, some chili water and some probiotic tabs

Attachments

• slicedpeaches.jpg
    slicedpeaches.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 125
  • soakingpodsandprobiotics.jpg
    soakingpodsandprobiotics.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 123
  • roughblendwithchiliwater.jpg
    roughblendwithchiliwater.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 122
stringer said:
Looks very nice, wish I could smell it. Are you seeing better results with probiotic tablets than without? Do you have any concerns that they are primarily composed of pharmaceutical excipients?
i use them to jump start the fermentation, haven't really tried fermenting w/o them since my previous failures years ago. the next batch i do, i'm gonna do the salt per weight method and see how it compares. this batch is still rolling. just gave it a shake and a sniff at the air lock. has a nice fruit smell but not overly sweet.

Seems risky. The manufacturers of prebiotics/probiotics have no regulatory commitment to prove that there are active cultures in their products. The only thing you are sure to add to your ferment are pharmaceutical excipients that compose the bulk of a tablet, such as croscaramellose sodium, polyvinyl pyrrollidone, slicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate. Excipients will not prevent growth of bad bacteria or yeast.

On the other hand, salt at the proper proportion will prevent growth of bad bugs.

Have you considered using powdered cultures like those used for kefir instead of unregulated nutraceuticals?

stringer said:
Seems risky. The manufacturers of prebiotics/probiotics have no regulatory commitment to prove that there are active cultures in their products. The only thing you are sure to add to your ferment are pharmaceutical excipients that compose the bulk of a tablet, such as croscaramellose sodium, polyvinyl pyrrollidone, slicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate. Excipients will not prevent growth of bad bacteria or yeast.

On the other hand, salt at the proper proportion will prevent growth of bad bugs.

Have you considered using powdered cultures like those used for kefir instead of unregulated nutraceuticals?
i'm really just experimenting and learning at this point.

so, today i tried it on the blandest breakfast tacos i could think of...... potato/egg/cheese. there was some noticeable heat, not super hot, but it was there. however, there was no flavor, fruit or otherwise. it was simply the flavors of the taco with a very mild heat. needless to say, i'm disappointed. thinking i should have left more of the peach solids in the final bottling. i wound up with two bottles. just for giggles, i put some honey in one bottle last night. may test it on wings or just toss it, idk yet.

You'll have to experiment. To get more fruit flavour you have to make sure the fruit itself is ripe and tasty. Most supermarket fruit is picked unripe and artificially ripened leading to a blander fruit. Canned fruit tends to work better as it's picked and canned ripe. I also find that I have to add sugar to bring out the fruitiness when using fresh fruit. 

Siv said:
You'll have to experiment. To get more fruit flavour you have to make sure the fruit itself is ripe and tasty. Most supermarket fruit is picked unripe and artificially ripened leading to a blander fruit. Canned fruit tends to work better as it's picked and canned ripe. I also find that I have to add sugar to bring out the fruitiness when using fresh fruit. 
i really think it is because i strained out all of the solids including the peach pulp.

Reactions: Siv
Back