• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Justaguy's 2012 Garden Season

Coming from 2011
http://www.thehotpep...n/page__st__440

About a month earlier then last year and this year I have a place in case I need to pot up.

First I got the germ bed set up and temps stabilized. Left to right go 82° - 87° - 83°

100_1506.jpg

Next I took my old light racks

100_1493.jpg

Slid one over and added a double

100_1494.jpg

Then added a new bulb that hits 6500K to each side to go with the ones from last year

100_1496.jpg

I have to get the bottom shelf done and then i will put up pics to show how the 2 lights differ and IMO will be good.

This year I will have less total plants, but more varieties. Lord please save me from this addiction. :rofl:

Initially I plan on 123 in ground and 25 in containers(some to be given away)

25 varieties, 27 strains total. Basically 3 strains of T.S., so 25 varieties.

-Naga Morich/Red 7Pot Cross
-Yellow 7Pot
-Naga Jolokia
-Douglah
-Chocolate Habanero
-Thai Variegated
-Pequin Chiapas
-Brain Strain
-Thai Fire
-Indonesian Chile
-Mystery Seeds from Patrick
-Manzano
-Yellow Scorpion
-Fatalii(true)
-Caribbean Red Habanero
-Jimmy Nardello(sweet)
-Bhut Jolokia(Starting for Melium not for my garden)
-Cumari Do Para
-Naga Morich
-Possible Cross # 3
-Red Savina/Fatalii Cross
-Cumari Ou Passarinho
-Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T" from Alphaeon
-Trinidad Scorpion Mouroga from Pepp3rfreak
-Trinidad Scorpion from pods bought from A.J.
-Tepin
-Black Thai

At a later time I will try to update this list with who they came from if not from my seed stock, the number I plan on planting, and the number I put in to germinate. To be safe I am planning on dropping double in for germination so I will most likely be sending out sprouts again this year.

So yesterday the The Caribbean Reds came out and became R.A.D.(Ripening After Death) plants. Of course I had some help. Lots of laughs.
100_2004.jpg

100_2005.jpg

100_2006.jpg

100_2007.jpg

100_2008.jpg

And of course all the other uncovered plants had any pepper with any color other then green picked, and a few that were big enough to be ripening soon, on the chance that they will change. All are now in bags and containers with banana peals.

Here is the haul:

Caribbean Red Habs
100_2010.jpg

Fatalii's
100_2011.jpg

Scorps and Nards
100_2012.jpg

Morouga Scorps and Weird Yellow non Fatalii(Seth the weird yellows are going in the dehydrator and they are yours if you want them) Fatalii flavor with less heat.
100_2013.jpg

Choc Habs and weird crosses
100_2014.jpg

Brian your plants look wonderful! You definitely have a green thumb--or two! Hope Frosty stays out of your neighborhood for as long as possible.

Looks like a good big harvest, I got a question about the ripening after death. Is it required to leave the roots or most branches on the plant or can you strip that down as well?

Ok so today I decided it was time to clean up these frost bitten plants.

Well these are looking ok
665582_292274584221445_693188945_o.jpg

The Fatalii's on the other hand need some TLC with the shears.
334400_292291294219774_1981317075_o.jpg

After: They may still look ugly, but I think they will be ripening good now. See the pods???
622210_292310640884506_229165595_o.jpg

The Scorpions(left) and Morouga Scorpions(right), Before:
665169_292315410884029_1481396805_o.jpg

And After TLC with the shears:
326819_292331437549093_1401611783_o.jpg

Now to uncover the 200 and see if they really do look good. :D What Frost????????
175329_292336177548619_139082936_o.jpg

My Manzano is in there. Will have to get pics of the apple size pods.......that STILLLLL are not ripening.

You are dedicated for sure! I tossed around covering up some of mine but I let them go. My annuums and wilds didn't even flinch. My chinense look like they got the napalm treatment though. The plants along the house survived too.

Lol, you are smitten with that thing, I love it. They are pretty P.I.M.P. are you going to try and keep the plants going through winter in there? Oh and I forgot about the banana trick, your glog reminded me..thanks JaG. I have a whole pile of last ditch effort green pods that I am hoping will ripen....time to eat a nanner!

73° in there now. I can't wait to see the high in my garden sauna today.

wow I knew it got hot but now it is 83° in there and only 10am. I may have to open and air her out later.

Well done Knepper! We were away for the evening on Saturday so we couldn't manually turn on the heater in ours. The Thermocube switch failed to activate so my season is officially over. How long are you planning on keeping your hoophouses going?

Brian my man!!! Love the Jimmy Scorp sauce. It has all the heat and flavor any chilhead should desire!!!!

Goes great on anythang. Thank you kind sir!!

IMG_4111.jpg

Dang Brian, 83 degrees in the hoophouse, what was the external temp at that point? I didn't realize you could get that much of a difference in temps, nice. Looks good.

Well done Knepper! We were away for the evening on Saturday so we couldn't manually turn on the heater in ours. The Thermocube switch failed to activate so my season is officially over. How long are you planning on keeping your hoophouses going?
I decided against using my Thermocube because the plug heats up and may then cause it to go off prematurely. I have a timer for mine and at night usually maintain 10-12° above outside temp. When the deep cold comes I may get a 2nd heater going.

Brian my man!!! Love the Jimmy Scorp sauce. It has all the heat and flavor any chilhead should desire!!!!

Goes great on anythang. Thank you kind sir!!

IMG_4111.jpg
I bet no one tried to snag food from your plate with Jimmy standing watch. :lol: Glad you enjoy it.

Dang Brian, 83 degrees in the hoophouse, what was the external temp at that point? I didn't realize you could get that much of a difference in temps, nice. Looks good.
The greenhouse effect(pun? what pun? :rofl:) got it to 94° today around noon when it was 50° outside. I have daily temp swings like I hear Arizona has.
Tomorrow around noon I will open it to move in fresh air and harvest. The humidity does cause some cracking on pods(nothing a smoker won't fix) and amazingly I have yet to have to water them since covering them. Between the moisture in the ground from rain and the humidity in the day dripping back in they are happy.

OK so it is 43° outside and was 85° in my garden, After opening each end to go in and harvest(1 end at a time) it is now 76° in there.

Nice little harvest. This is what ripened in the last 2 weeks since the last time I harvested.
See the Manzano? Yeah neither do I. They need to ripen.
100_2036.jpg

Back