• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Justaguy's 2012 Garden Season

Coming from 2011
http://www.thehotpep...n/page__st__440

About a month earlier then last year and this year I have a place in case I need to pot up.

First I got the germ bed set up and temps stabilized. Left to right go 82° - 87° - 83°

100_1506.jpg

Next I took my old light racks

100_1493.jpg

Slid one over and added a double

100_1494.jpg

Then added a new bulb that hits 6500K to each side to go with the ones from last year

100_1496.jpg

I have to get the bottom shelf done and then i will put up pics to show how the 2 lights differ and IMO will be good.

This year I will have less total plants, but more varieties. Lord please save me from this addiction. :rofl:

Initially I plan on 123 in ground and 25 in containers(some to be given away)

25 varieties, 27 strains total. Basically 3 strains of T.S., so 25 varieties.

-Naga Morich/Red 7Pot Cross
-Yellow 7Pot
-Naga Jolokia
-Douglah
-Chocolate Habanero
-Thai Variegated
-Pequin Chiapas
-Brain Strain
-Thai Fire
-Indonesian Chile
-Mystery Seeds from Patrick
-Manzano
-Yellow Scorpion
-Fatalii(true)
-Caribbean Red Habanero
-Jimmy Nardello(sweet)
-Bhut Jolokia(Starting for Melium not for my garden)
-Cumari Do Para
-Naga Morich
-Possible Cross # 3
-Red Savina/Fatalii Cross
-Cumari Ou Passarinho
-Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T" from Alphaeon
-Trinidad Scorpion Mouroga from Pepp3rfreak
-Trinidad Scorpion from pods bought from A.J.
-Tepin
-Black Thai

At a later time I will try to update this list with who they came from if not from my seed stock, the number I plan on planting, and the number I put in to germinate. To be safe I am planning on dropping double in for germination so I will most likely be sending out sprouts again this year.

But there was bad news while there. While on vacation in Jamaica he had his son come bottom water with his premixed blue Miracle Grow water he bottled up. Unfortunately he had left an unmarked bottle of windshield washer fluid in his shop near the quart jugs of blue watering solution.
OMG! That is so terrible! Yet another reason not to use the evil Miracle Grow garbage.

Ah but Pepp3rfreak his plants are sooo lush. After talking for a good while I have come to discern that I have been successful in replicating his setup with the exception of a southern facing and shaded window. I know that since Sethsquatch gave me some nutes to try I realized I have just been too scared to hurt the babies and water alone was holding them back. As I am sure most people say each year about one thing or another "next year will be different/better".

And that my friends is why I love gardening!!!!!!....always room to learn and expand your knowledge to improve the "fruit" of your labor.

Now to find a plant that can act as a natural fire retardant......

I see an indonesian chilli in the rack, do you mind telling me what species/varieties?

I wish I knew. They were given to me by a friend's wife who is from Indonesia. She bought it here, but swears it is just like what she got/gets in her home country. I still have some of the ones I hung dried 2 years ago when he gave them to me and asked if I can grow them. They are in the city so each year I start and bucket 2 or 3 up for them to have in their "backyard", it is amazing how much glass is the the soil in the inner-city.

Maybe as the year grows you can check the pictures I will undoubtedly post here and help me with the species. If you need close flower shots or anything let me know and I will try my best to capture them.

The most common chili use in indonesia is Rawit/Cengek, so as my first wild guess it's going to be that. But as you say as the year grow let see some progress what would it be. Following the glog then. :P

OK here is an update.

Sunburn???? OMG!!!! Just kidding. They love the light and don't mind the burn. These things used to freak me out until seeing enough people freaking about the little things.
100_1618.jpg

100_1621.jpg

Height update on some of them
Here are the tall ones. Certain varieties seem to have a tendency for height. I also believe the first 2 months of water only led them to grow tall and leggy.
100_1619.jpg

These were a month of water only before nutes came.
100_1620.jpg

Here behind the Naga Jolokia is a 1 leaf Nard. Can you say elephant ear?
100_1622.jpg

Here are the 2 newest ones. They will stay inside past plant out to catch up.
100_1623.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I have several of the savina/fatalli going...............neat looking plant. Any old photos of the fruit it produced?

Height update on some of them
Here are the tall ones. Certain varieties seem to have a tendency for height. I also believe the first 2 months of water only led them to grow tall and leggy.
100_1619.jpg

I don't believe using water only will make a plant grow tall and leggy. I never start nutrients until several weeks after germination and never had leggy plants. Perhaps it's your germination method that starts them off leggy and they continue this way? Will make for an experiment for ya next year if you want to try.

Nice looking pods, thanks again for the seeds.
Anytime. Hope they do well for you and I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out

Nice looking peppers, can't wait to see some F2 action!
I can barely wait too.

I don't believe using water only will make a plant grow tall and leggy. I never start nutrients until several weeks after germination and never had leggy plants. Perhaps it's your germination method that starts them off leggy and they continue this way? Will make for an experiment for ya next year if you want to try.
They all were started with my leggy technique and kept tight to the lights. Next year will be more experimenting.

Looking great Brian! Those guys are getting pretty tall.
Yep, they are all ready to go out. Yesterday we had BB size hail with bright sun 10 minutes later.

Ok so being neglectful this past weekend and waterfree. UGH. Lost a Thai Fire and a Nard(AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!) Had an extra or two Thai Fires. Also lost 2 Morouga Scorpions which I had 5 or so extras of so no worries there.

Then yesterday I get a call from a person I gave some container with indo. chiles in last year. She stopped over and dropped off the buckets. I was expecting 3 plant-less buckets, since i had asked not to dump them. ! still had the plant in. I think with some TLC it should be fine.
Here it is after a good shake and brush of the dead leaves.

100_1624.jpg

and here is why I have hope

100_1625.jpg

Back