• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JutsFL pepper glog - 2014 (first from seed grow)

Here goes everyone, definitely new to the site - but I've been growing peppers for fun for a while. Not exactly how I did It this year though. I've always used the starter plants from local nurseries, but decided to have my hand at a from seed grow this time. I wanted something more substantial this time, not just the few plants that I had always had in the past. It's a learning experience for sure, and it took a lot of researching to make the switch from a small hobby grow to a larger from seed hobby grow. I was always fine with a small amount of peppers before, but I got the itch this year.... And here we are.

First I constructed my grow box...
kezrmf.jpg

1z65k52.jpg

1627equ.jpg

261bwag.jpg

1zvpcp.jpg

23jmnup.jpg

ru4thx.jpg

Originally had the FlouroWing grow light, then added 2 more 6500k lights as an addition...all on timers
21lr0c7.jpg

Now the seed starting... I used a heating mat and some cheap plastic condiment containers from Walmart. It worked amazingly well, and kept the moisture in just right. Had to keep an eye on them because once they sprouted, there's not much room till it hits the top! I planted (on the first round) hot Hungarian wax, t. Moruga scorpion, Carolina reaper, red bell, Fresno, and pablano.
14sf62c.jpg

2cqe3jo.jpg

Annnnnnnd the site gives me an error message and won't allow me to add the rest of the photos... Suppose that's all for now folks :/

And here they are in the box...

http://i58.tinypic.com/16a1yqh.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/sw46c5.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/5bptf8.jpg
Long story short, with faaar less pics... Here they are a few days ago, hope ya'll can get the link because the site won't let me add any more pics..

....nope, no more links even. Oh well

Hey Jay,  :welcome: from Titusville! We moved over here from Orlando in August though I still work down town. 

Yeah, there's a 10 pic limit per post due to the servers that the site uses I think. You can either ask for a bump or wait an hour and make another post. before an hour it just sews your posts together. 

That's a great box you built. You should get a lot of use from it. The dowel rod light is a great idea. I just moved mine out to the screened in patio and am finally getting them to pop. I think my room was too cool and there's nothing like the old Florida Grow light to get them going. 

Happy growing Bro, I'll be following you and the more you get out into the other Glogs the more other members will be checking your's out.

Cheers,
Bill

Ok, thanks guys... I got it now w the 10 pic limit - I had no clue what was going on w it last night?! Not quite sure why they are upside down for y'all though, they show up normally for me. See if I can rectify it here.

So here they are as they progresses through the box:
16a1yqh.jpg

sw46c5.jpg

5bptf8.jpg

Then as they grow I slowly put them out to harden in their final resting spots of 5 gal buckets, filled with nothing more than the cheapest potting soil known to man - w a bunch of mixed in pine bark...
2rw13tl.jpg

nx53zq.jpg

25tybug.jpg

20ssuti.jpg

Starting to put a bit of good growth on them here, and at this point I started to let them keep the flowers they were forming and switched to a high P fert...
ojnzo4.jpg

And here they are as of around a week ago, hard to believe that they are only 3 1/2 months old. And they amount of blooms is crazy right now too.
c3hh0.jpg

I have a few tobascos that just came out of the box, and are awaiting transplant. Catch up w those later I suppose. Thanks for checking it out for now!

Well the tobascos are out now... Hardening off at least. I had only two 3gal buckets to put the best ones in. The one on the right is doing great, while the one on the left is showing some signs of stress and damage. It had this before the move, but is the strongest of the plants - so I gambled. No too worried though, I think it'll pull through just fine. I'll let them get about a week of screened sun before the yard time begins.

30259bk.jpg

I had a couple extra sprouts from the tobascos that I just couldn't trash ;)
They obviously won't be growing the best in these tiny pots, but they'll add their small contributions nonetheless.

312bhv6.jpg

Catching up with some night time pod pics of the varieties. Here's a few, thanks for checkin'em out!

Red bells
2mxhab7.jpg

Pablano
zjcqr4.jpg

Fresno
2zdozlj.jpg

Hot Hungarian Wax
2m4bx2c.jpg

Carolina Reaper
16adswm.jpg

Another reaper - albeit a bit out of focus
20iuxp4.jpg

And what was supposed to be a TM Scorpion - I'm not convinced :/
2en49k1.jpg

Yet another (supposedly) TMS... Same obvious doubts
264tceq.jpg

All doing good thus far, with a bunch of plant way too early in the budding stage to tell (type). And whatever the unknowns may be, their growing well. I guess only time will tell at this point!

The ole pee'pars are holdin' strong still. Starting to get some bushy growth on them, and the fruit are coming in nicely at this point.

30th3cz.jpg

dwat84.jpg

fyo749.jpg

I, just today, gave a buddy of mine one of my tobasco plants as well. Set him up with a large pot and drilled some holes for him, also threw in some ferts. Pretty stoked really, as he's really excited after seeing the growth in my yard. He's already down to make some sauces - which just ignites my hobby that much more!

...gotta love it when others find the joy as well :)

So here's a shot from this morning... Many of the Fresno's are starting to fully ripen now (which is great because the 2 of them are housing a serious amount of peppers!). The hot Hungarian wax are juuuuuust getting a hint of red to them. All the Habs are full, but no ripening yet. The super hots are lagging - as expected. And I lost a bunch of pablanos already to BER - bummer indeed.... But I think the wild wet and dry sessions here in Orlando had a lot to do with it (they've received plenty of calcium). The tobascos are ~1.5ft now, and holding strong, but they had a late start in comparison to the rest.

dqke9j.jpg

I posted these in the identification section recently, but feel compelled to add them to the log too.
Here's an unknown that's sporting well over 100 peps - it's definitely chinense, and looks hab or savina in nature :
x39vr9.jpg

Yet another unknown, this one looking Naga of sorts:

33p6exv.jpg

Damn you people and your excellent conditions outdoors :lol:

They look super healthy, should be an eye opener when that Reaper ripens hehe

Another update... Firstly - 1/4 of the reaper pod kicked my arse! Wasn't prepped enough for that one, Wowzers!! (I'll be ready for his siblings though ;) )

So here's a few angles of the plot as of this afternoon:

The growth is still progressing quite well, but losing some of the lower/older leaves to yellowing and drop off on the super hots as you can see in the latter pics...
5feov5.jpg

21lmtmg.jpg

117zt09.jpg

The little fella above in the terracotta style pot is an avocado that I started from seed, just hangin amongst his gnarly family.

The TM scorpions are starting to ripen now:
20ij393.jpg

Along with the savinas (crappy pic):
wb5s10.jpg

Some of the HHWax are turning now too:
ae7drt.jpg

The Naga variety? Coming in well:
ae7drt.jpg

The bells making the turn:
2ilcxeg.jpg

And finally (another really crappy pic) my tobasco are putting out buds. These guys gotta late start and I'm pleased to see them produce at this point.

199taq.jpg

Mistake above... Here's the "Naga" pic:
70gcwh.jpg

Runescape said:
Nice pods, dude. I think you accidentally posted the hungarian wax pic twice... Awesome avocado btw...
Indeed I did Rune, and thank you. The avocado proved to be a quite the hard germination. It actually got two separate stalks growing out of the seed now as well. I kept cutting the smaller one down in the beginning - but it wouldn't give up. So I decided to leave 'em be .

JutsFL said:
The avocado proved to be a quite the hard germination.
How long did the seed take to germinate? and what method where you using(the toothpicks and cup of water one)?
How old is the plant now?

Back