event Kato's 2008 contest

Just an update on our contest you should be excited by.

This upcoming year there will be more trophies with more categories A trophy for each category winner with the overall winners receiving the cash just like last year the highest score overall no matter what category wins the money with a 2nd & 3rd places overall wins cash also.
The categories depending on entries will be BBQ sauce ( with possible sub categories), Hot sauce ( with possible sub categories), Salsa, candy, Rubs, Marinades, and the infamous other category. Categories subject to change based on entries a lot more trophies and chances to win. Plus we want to add a peoples choice award. Also there will be more judges so those that judged last year aren't scared away we plan to have 25 or more judges so no more trying 90 plus samples.

Mick
Kato's

Don't forget the UK entry
uk_flag_large.bmp

:lol:

We are looking forward to our contest. Have another meeting in a week will know more then and let everyone here know.

Looking for a even larger contest this upcoming year. Lets see if any of the amatuers can knock Vic from the top. He had some amazing stuff this past year. Be hard to beat him.

As for the pros W.O Hesperus will be hard to knock off in hot sauce with all his crazy combinations.

Cunningham's BBQ will be tough tobeat in the BBQ category just about the best I ever had.

Anxious to have this years contest. It just seems to grow each year.

I'll report back after our meeting
Mick
Kato's

DevilDuck said:
any news?
Some great news will be posted soon. THP and Kato are joining forces for this. Woot!

This sounds GREAT Mick!! I am looking forward to the competition and will definatly entering more sauces than I did in the last one!!!! I will even enter my newest creation "ARTIC BLAST". Once again looking forward to it and keep us posted!!

Joe

Official Rules and Entry Form

Official Rules Kato's Kontest sponsored in part by TheHotPepper.com

CALL FOR ENTRIES WILL OPEN NOVEMBER 2007

路 All entries must follow safe canning procedures (The only safe procedures for canning are boiling water bath for high acid foods and pressure canning for low acid foods.)
路 All entries must list person or manufacturer of entry
路 All entries must list name of entry
路 All entrants will submit two (2) samples of each entry.
路 Your product will be shipped along with entry form to the designated collection site of the contest and must be received by the entry date to be considered eligible.
You may enter as many products as you like. For instance, you may enter the mild,
medium, and hot versions of your sauce, but these count as three separate entries.

The Other category will be reserved for products that fit NO OTHER CATEGORY.

All products entered in the Competition will be judged "as is" and will
not be mixed or served with any other products before tasting.
All food products entered must be canned or sealed in accordance with standard food
and health safety procedures and protocols. Kato's reserves the
right to discard and disqualify any entries that are not properly canned or sealed,
according to food and health safety procedures.
Each product must be properly labeled with ingredients listed (first to last by amounts) along with the name of the product. All entries must be carefully packaged. The Florida Azalea Festival will not be held responsible for any damage incurred during shipping.

Entering the Packaging Category:
Two samples per entry are required. Your label will be judged on
Appearance, artwork, and originality.

Judging:
The judging panel will be made up of food industry professionals. There will be
a number of judges randomly selected.
All product sampling will be conducted under the strictest of standards using fair,
impartial and blind judging methods.

The decision of the judges is final, may not be contested, and in no way reflects the opinions of the above organization.
All entries will be judged on the following criteria: appearance, aroma, texture, flavor, heat, and overall impression.
Products in the Packaging category will be judged on: design, creativity, visual impact,
originality, and overall impression.

Each entry is judged in a blind tasting using a numbered cup to represent each entry.
Judges are not allowed to see any indication of the brand, owner, or manufacturer of
the product.

There will also be a People's Choice award, sponsored by TheHotPepper.com. The festival-goers will be the judges.

Announcing Winners:
Winners will be announced on (TBA).
Winning products will not be revealed until this time. Upon the
announcement of the winning products, the awards will be given to those who are
present. For those who are not present, the awards will be shipped to them.

Disclaimer:
Organizers will not be held responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged entries and reserve
the right to refuse any product that, in their judgment, may present a health hazard. In
any of the categories that are judged visually, Kato's has the right to decline any product it deems lewd or offensive. It also reserves the right not to list any
winning product's name on the website or in the magazine or any other distribution that
it deems lewd or offensive. All declared winners are final. No containers or leftover
products will be returned.
The contest rules have been established for the best interests of all concerned. In the
event of necessity, any rule may be altered at the discretion of Kato's.
In any event, all interpretation of rules and final decisions will rest with the judges. The
decisions of the judges are final, binding, and conclusive in all matters.
By signing the entry form, you understand these rules and agree to abide by the decisions of the judges.

Kato's Sauce Competition 2008 and TheHotPepper.com

TheHotPepper.com has joined forces with Kato.

• As a TheHotPepper.com member you will receive a $5 discount on entries.
  • TheHotPepper.com will be sponsoring the People's Choice Award.

Hopefully, I'll have my entire line of four sauces entered.

Swamp Cooler (mild-ish)
Nuclear Scurvy (hot)
Barnacle Remover (really hot)
Barracuda Breath (melt your molars...no extract)

Hey Mick or THP. The rules sound real official this year, what with the whole "safe canning procedures (The only safe procedures for canning are boiling water bath for high acid foods and pressure canning for low acid foods.)" thing. Are we basically under the same rules as last year, or are those of us who do not have facilities out of luck? Not asking like I'm cheesed off or anything, just wanting to make sure I should be working on new stuff and will have the opportunity to show them there.

Also, maybe one catagorie could be condiments (meaning hot ketchups, mustards and/or mayo's) as it seems odd that in the '07they landed up in the same catag. as spicy chocolate.

Mick did you ever get my question on shipping the gallons and woozies of your delicious Cajun, we had a problem with e-mail for a while?

I believe those are the same rules as last year.

I guess I never actually read them. I just packed up a bunch of my stuff and sent it on.

Well then everybody watch your butts!!!!! Chili Man is in it to win it...........BA-BEE!!!!

Thanks THP for the clarification (I really only did that for others who might be afraid to ask ;))

chiliman said:
I guess I never actually read them. I just packed up a bunch of my stuff and sent it on.

Well then everybody watch your butts!!!!! Chili Man is in it to win it...........BA-BEE!!!!

Thanks THP for the clarification (I really only did that for others who might be afraid to ask :))

HHHMMM That sound like a challenge!!! :cool:....rememmber this past year I sent a bottle of sauce I gooofed up on and won 3rd place....Next time I'll send the sauce that is made right.. ;) ..LMAO....just messin with ya chiliman!!! Its all in good clean fun!! :lol:

I am ALWAYS in for a little smack talk! At the CASI state championships, I got a nice old fellow (John Rhyne, somewhere in his seventies I image) talkin mad junk. So, Chili Man deems this space (under the allowance of THP) a smack talk zone (say what you want, no apologies necessary cause its all in the spirit of fun!)!

So Dyce, you may as well pack up your sauce, cause I made mine with my eyes closed, with no sleep for ten days and a major organ injury. BOOOOOOOOOOOOY!

OH Really????? LOL My newest creations along with my current line of sauces should stand pretty well!! LOL The only difference is I should be professional by the 2008 competition. Just got a few more details to iron out.....Just to get ya thinking.....I was gonna name the newest creation Frost Bite but I found a sauce with that name....so ARTIC BURN is the new name...Just use your imagination!! LOL

kato said:
Lets see if any of the amatuers can knock Vic from the top. He had some amazing stuff this past year. Be hard to beat him.

Mick
Kato's

Yeah but chasing him with the baseball bat will be really fun!

Back