• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

KiDDc's Grow Log

After 6 months of joining THP, i've finally decided to start my grow log here.
Why so long? For one, i am a big lazy slob, and maintaining a grow log seems like an awful lot of work.

But its seems that i can learn faster and grow more if i have a grow log, which others seemed to be doing.

Without further delay, my grow list this year (subject to change):-

- Chili Padi (Bird's eye chili)
- Orange Habanero
- Large brown habanero
- Chocolate Habanero
- Peruvian White Hab
- Aji Cristal
- Hungarian Hot Wax
- Stripe (Baccatum)
- Tabasco
- 7pod
- Trinidad Scorpion
- Bhut Jolokia
- Pimenta De Neyde
- Scotch Bonnet (patrick)
- Short Yellow tabasco (fatalii.net)

LDVbgDv1.jpeg

Aji Cristal seedlings and PND on the top left hand side

otijhkcu.jpeg

Hungarian Hot Wax - this is the second plant i have, the first one died from stem rot
and this plant is from the seeds of the first plant. Question: How do i avoid stem rot?

GgzkS35T.jpeg

Chocolate Habanero

cont'd

Pod pics

CDLK5H9p.jpeg

Peruvian White Hab

0c1lI8KT.jpeg

Asian Bird's Eye

DNyCaBsk.jpeg

Small small Orange Habs.

Thats all for now, ill get some pics of my germination method and seedling grow setup.
Do comment and keep checking back!

kidd

hey darktrak,
You win "1st!" for first to comment.

Yeah, its not a pure seed, and its really tiny.

Stem rot Aka damping off, can be prevented by using a well draining soil, not over watering, and allowing the top layer of soil to dry out. It is very important to not over water your plants, they don't do very well in very damp / wet conditions.

Hey neighbor, looking good. Where'd you get the soil?
Those Habs are really small; just how big/small were/are they?
Good luck and hang in there.

Good start on your grow. Good luck this season. :)

Bottom watering can go along way toward preventing damping off. Once the bottom half of your starting mix is wet, remove the plants from the watering tray, water will continue to wick upward, but the surface will remain dry and prevent the surface fungus that causes damping off.

Hey wow. I learned about this thread from the actions/status box.
If you transplant deeper than the cotyledon leaves, you'll avoid stem damage from salt/mineral build-up. The stem is tougher there.
Good job on the Log. Keep up the good work.

Stem rot Aka damping off, can be prevented by using a well draining soil, not over watering, and allowing the top layer of soil to dry out. It is very important to not over water your plants, they don't do very well in very damp / wet conditions.
Good start on your grow. Good luck this season. :)

Bottom watering can go along way toward preventing damping off. Once the bottom half of your starting mix is wet, remove the plants from the watering tray, water will continue to wick upward, but the surface will remain dry and prevent the surface fungus that causes damping off.

Thanks, Matt and SS. Will strive to not overwater/micro manage my plants. Bottom watering might be harder when i get them into big pots, but i will try. Thanks again :)

Hey neighbor, looking good. Where'd you get the soil?
Those Habs are really small; just how big/small were/are they?
Good luck and hang in there.

Hey Verne,
The soil is a generic soil used for vegetation here in Malaysia. Even the packaging description is in Malay LOL, it contains charcoal, soil, lime stones etc. I add compost and some mulching when i pot them up in their final pots.
Those habs were smaller than most cherry tomatoes haha and it didnt taste great, the seeds wasnt true. i am currently planting some from good seeds though.

Hey wow. I learned about from the actions/status box.
If you transplant deeper than the cotyledon leaves, you'll avoid stem damage from salt/mineral build-up. The stem is tougher there.
Good job on the Log. Keep up the good work.
oh, thanks. Kinda hard to do coz they are quite small when i pot them up. Normally gets potted up on their 2nd set of true leaves. Good tip, thanks!

Seedling plate and 7pod pics coming up!

Buds on my 7pod plant.
qGHKOXxE.jpeg

7pod plant
ARjQHa7o.jpeg

seedling tray
T30p4rhl.jpeg

Seedlings:-
Trinidad Scorpions
Pimenta De Neyde
Stripe (Baccatum)
Cayenne

Way to go! A real nursery and many sprouts. Nice.
Oh, and that 7 pod is looking great; very healthy.

hey Verne,
Yeah, sprouts are taking over, there's 8 more scotch bonnet seedlings that just hooked!
That 7pod is flowering now, but there's no pollen, i've heard that its normal that the first batch of flower produces no pollen, is that true?

nice looking 7! Looks like a pretty good germ rate so far?

Hey Geosojda, yes i'm actually using the tissue paper germ method (transferred them into pucks once they germ)and its been working like mad! Pretty soon, ill be up to my eyeballs in seedlings.

Currently, i still have more Bhut Jolokia, Large Brown habanero, Yellow Tabasco and Scotch Bonnets (from patrick, you da man!) in the nursery :)

hey Verne,
Yeah, sprouts are taking over, there's 8 more scotch bonnet seedlings that just hooked!
That 7pod is flowering now, but there's no pollen, i've heard that its normal that the first batch of flower produces no pollen, is that true?

Hey Geosojda, yes i'm actually using the tissue paper germ method (transferred them into pucks once they germ)and its been working like mad! Pretty soon, ill be up to my eyeballs in seedlings.

Currently, i still have more Bhut Jolokia, Large Brown habanero, Yellow Tabasco and Scotch Bonnets (from patrick, you da man!) in the nursery :)

I'd nip the first few buds for sure. As to pollen; I noticed there was no pollen in the early mornings. Pollen is most fertile between 12 noon and 3 pm., so I'd wait till 1:30 - 2pm before pollinating. I did this and it worked 100%. Use a damp (not wet) new paint brush (rinse it well before using).

I'd nip the first few buds for sure. As to pollen; pollen is most fertile between 12 noon and 3 pm., so I'd wait till 1:30 - 2pm before pollinating. I did this and it worked 100%. Use a damp (not wet) new paint brush.
oh, ill keep nipping the buds then and try my hand with err hand pollinating.

Here's my tissue paper germ method, with PICS!
I put my tissue paper with seeds into a container for easy labeling and grouping
krCrMoz.jpeg

Pictured above are: Fatalii, Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia, Aji Lemon (my 2nd time, didnt germ the first time sigh)

Stick the labels on the plastic container, label provided by THSC :D
Dorset Naga
lNWz2N0r.jpeg

Seeds are dumped inside and covered with another layer of tissue
OF9yIoyp.jpeg

And store somewhere warm, in my case, near my modem and router :)
PDJ9WQv.jpeg

oh, ill keep nipping the buds then and try my hand with err hand pollinating.

I put my tissue paper with seeds into a container for easy labeling and grouping
krCrMoz.jpeg

Pictured above are: Fatalii, Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia, Aji Lemon (my 2nd time, didnt germ the first time sigh)

Stick the labels on the plastic container, label provided by THSC :D
Dorset Naga
lNWz2N0r.jpeg

Seeds are dumped inside and covered with another layer of tissue
OF9yIoyp.jpeg

And store somewhere warm, in my case, near my modem and router :)
PDJ9WQv.jpeg

I've had a hell of a time germinating bhut Jalokia seeds = 0% for 10 seeds so far. South Devon (grower of the seeds) said to keep them in the dark. So, I took my last 2 seeds and put them in a wet paper towel in a zip-lock bag in my underwear drawer. No light in there. :rofl:

We'll see.

I also use the tissue paper germination method... its not very diferent from yours.
I keep mine on top of the TV :lol:

Loved that pic of your 7 pod thats starting to bud.

Bleash

Back