• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Kiwi Grow Off - Heaviest weight of pods off a single plant

Mine were waiting for me at home last night.

What method are you all using to start them? just interested with the same seed stock what will be the best method.

I'm thinking I will use my standard 2 hour soak in chamomile tea then into jiffy starters in the hot-water cupboard (around 24C) till they sprout.

oasis horticubes, chlorinated water, heated propagator. keeping it simple this time around, always going overboard with this hobby.

Orcmie said:
Mine were waiting for me at home last night.

What method are you all using to start them? just interested with the same seed stock what will be the best method.

I'm thinking I will use my standard 2 hour soak in chamomile tea then into jiffy starters in the hot-water cupboard (around 24C) till they sprout.
Im going to put mine in a shot glass of normal tap water, then leave it on something warm (like a modem) overnight.

Im thinking i will put a few into my normal peat pellets (after the soak), and a few directly into pots in potting soil (after soaking).
Once seeds are planted they will go into the hot water cupboard until they show signs of life, then they will be moved onto a sunny windowsill. 

I don't think ill be using any artificial lighting or heating so don't really expect to be a contender. Will see how it goes o'natural :)  (not organic though)

How many plants are we supposed to be growing / how many seeds are we to plant? I assume all of them and keep the strongest plants?

nzchili said:
Not long now!
I kind of wish I had thought ahead and mixed some soil in advance.

So who do we have competing in this thing?

EDIT; and how was the pizza!?
All the people in the first post except Robi.I cant get hold of him so thats 9 of us so far

nzchili said:
Not long now!

Ask Sentencedtoburn about the pizza!
It was insane hot...they sprayed alcohol on it and lit it on fire...then you had to get it down in under 7 minutes! The combination of heat and capsaicin nailed all 5 of us.....

nzchili said:
Not long now!

Yeah none of us made it. Was too hot. A couple of us made it past half way but by about 2.5 minutes we all pulled out.

By the way - putting my seeds to soak in 5 hours 45 minutes!!!

Swampy_NZ said:
Bloody hell,I'm off to KeriKeri for a wedding tomorrow and wont be back till Sunday.
5 whole days behind.   :(
Just put them in in the morning man. Get up 20 mins earlier and setup your jiffys. By the time you're back theyll be popping through. Without soaking sure you might get a few that wont come through - but you have enough seeds man.

SentencedToBurn said:
Yeah none of us made it. Was too hot. A couple of us made it past half way but by about 2.5 minutes we all pulled out.

By the way - putting my seeds to soak in 5 hours 45 minutes!!!
Mine went into the Jiffy this evening after a full day's soak in Camomile tea.

Sweet mine are in jiffys after soaking in cammomile. Have already got pots ready, a DWC bucket and a spot in the aquaponics bed. so will be a good way to compare what does better.

Back