• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Know pepper that is fruity like Peach Habanaro?

I love the Peach Habanero and am using the bottom 3/4 without the center meat and seeds to keep it cooler.
The fruity taste is great and I like it over Jalapeno or Serrano for both the heat style and flavor.
Out of 3,000 peppers there must be some which are less hot but fruity tasting? (no green taste I guess)
Fatali is repoted to be real fruity but as hot or hotter than habanero.

Also- How do the Cherry, and Variegated peppers taste?

Thanks!
Steve

Thanks Rainbow!

Wiki:Scotch Bonnet has a flavour distinct from its Habanero cousin.
Scotch Bonnets look almost identical to a similar pepper called the "seasoning pepper"

The pepper does not have to be hot just have some nice taste.

Here is some other ones I found have you tried these?
Trinidad Seasoning Pepper
Brazilian Bird Pepper
Congo Pepper Pod

Hi Nute, yea Fatali is nice, but Hot, Aji Lemon not as Hot but lemonish, pusa jwala (appleish), pequin fruity and nutty, costa rican saltyish.
there are heaps, just got to try them :)

Tangerine bell has a distinctly fruit flavor. I use it a lot in ceviche.

tang7.jpg

I'll second Hippy's thoughts on the Fatali..it's almost like a papaya sort of taste..very distinctive flavor.

I'm gonna try to make a sauce soon here with fatali, orange habs, mango, roasted garlic and w/ a little lemon juice and honey.

Maybe some ginger too for fun. :D

-Q

Ceviche should be made with fresh fish that is free of parasites (most fresh commerecial fish is in US)-cooking with citrus kills all the pathogenic material including bacteria.

Ceviche Camaron

INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs small raw shrimp or white fish (sea bass is good),cleaned
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 Tomatillos, diced
6 Mexican limes, juiced
2 lemons, juiced (also substitute grapefruit juice, orange juice)
1 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 green unripe chile, I used a chilaca, seeded and finely chopped (picante to taste); a few rings of fruity picante chile, habanero or similar.
1/2 of a cucumber, peeled and diced
1 red onion, diced
3-5 cloves of hot garlic diced
salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Lay out shrimp in the bottom of glass baking dish. Pour lemon and lime juice over them and refrigerate for 3 hours. Toss with remaining ingredients and refrigerate for one more hour or longer (better longer).

im growing robertos cuban seasoning as i tried it last year..obviously a hybrid of the trinidad or tobago seasoning plant..but im told the pods are larger and plant goes 6/7/8 feet.

Very tasty indeed havent tried the other carribean seasoning plants so carnt do a comparison.:)

That recipe sounds pretty good! I guess every country has its own recipe for ceviche, and everyone thinks theirs is the best. Peruvian ceviche is one of my favorites. In Guatemala and most other recipes for ceviche I know we use lime juice (and lots of it). THe recipe is very simple:

4-5 Roma tomatoes
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1/2 Cup chopped cilantro
2 cups lime juice (at least, the more the better)
1 lb of your favorite fish (not the flaky fleshed stuff; catfish is right out...)
finely chopped chile pepper (we use chiltepe or cobanero)

That's it. That's the basic recipe but people play around with it by adding lots of stuff. The secret is marinating the fish correctly. I like to leave the fish in the lime juice for a long time and change the lime juice every 12 hours. MMMMMMMMMM!

Natgreen... I have to agree with you there. Fish used to prepare ceviche must be fresh. That is why restaurants that specialize in ceviche bring in fresh fish every day. Most others heat the lime to literally cook the ceviche in lime juice. That is the reason that the best ceviche you can have is near the beach, where the fish is freshest. I however seem to have the bacterial tolerance of a komodo dragon since I eat ceviche every week (and sometimes not in the most reputable of places) and not one problem.

Omri, I get you. Carpaccio is one of my favorites as well. Give it to us raw! Give it to us wriggling! Fish or meat?

andres said:
Natgreen... I have to agree with you there. Fish used to prepare ceviche must be fresh. That is why restaurants that specialize in ceviche bring in fresh fish every day. Most others heat the lime to literally cook the ceviche in lime juice. That is the reason that the best ceviche you can have is near the beach, where the fish is freshest. I however seem to have the bacterial tolerance of a komodo dragon since I eat ceviche every week (and sometimes not in the most reputable of places) and not one problem.

Omri, I get you. Carpaccio is one of my favorites as well. Give it to us raw! Give it to us wriggling! Fish or meat?
Both! :D

NatGreen, yes that sounds accurate, minus the mayo. Vile condiment!

Ceviche is the only known cure for a hangover, but that's probably because you eat it while drinking 5-6 beers and by the end you have no hangover because you are drunk again!

Back