• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Lamb smoked for gyros

This is basically the same recipe I used as the last lamb I did.

This was a test for my buddies anniversary in two weeks. Was spectacular!!!
IMG_20151024_092709.jpg
IMG_20151025_124318.jpg
first hour.
IMG_20151025_150013.jpg
3 hours in
IMG_20151025_165111.jpg
5 hours and done cooked to 140 deg
IMG_20151025_165304.jpg
some herbed potatoes
IMG_20151025_171126.jpg
finished pics this time for JHP and JayT :)
IMG_20151025_171905.jpg

Yum!  I have always wanted to make a ground Gyros blend.  This would be much better.  I never could perfect tzatziki either. 

Wow mate, Lamb, my favorite meat. Yours looks F'n tasty brother! I'd devour that plate in no time, and be asking for seconds. Great work yet again...

SR.

BigB said:
what was on this lamb while it cooked?
I make a rub with garlic,lemon,rosemary,Dijon mustard,S&P bishops hat powder smoked (thanks again Shorerider) and some powders from (SmokenFire and Wicked Mike) thanks guy's!!
Olive oil, blended and marinated 24 hours.
Crust was outrageous!! :)
pepperguy1 said:
oldsalty come on now, posting pictures like that got me licking my monitor.  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:
Hahaha Hahaha :ROFL:
grantmichaels said:
this must have put me over the top subconsciously ...i bought my first piece of lamb today ...my conscious brain forgot about this, but i'm going to say my unconscious brain's been fantasizing about it, i have to assume ...
I was sending positive lamb waves at ya brother!!! This was just fantastic!! Can't wait to see your version!!
Shorerider said:
Wow mate, Lamb, my favorite meat. Yours looks F'n tasty brother! I'd devour that plate in no time, and be asking for seconds. Great work yet again...
SR.
Hahaha wish I could ship you a plate brother!!! This was insanely good!! Should have known lambs one of my all time favorites!!! And smoked!!! Never tasted better!! Cheers Mate
D3monic said:
Very nice, would love to have some smoked gyro, could you image going to lunch and finding a place that did this, gentle smoke of some cherry wood rolling over it and it slowly turns on the trompo? mmmmmmmmmm
I hear you D3 this is one of my favorites this gyro makes the meat log taste like S. And the rotisserie really makes a difference. Doing a swarma next beef lamb and pork all on one scure marinated then smoke roasted high heat ohhhh man!!

JayT said:
That looks fantastic! I am going to have to seek out some lamb for my smoke tomorrow.
Alright brother!!! Get out there and wow us !!! Just something about smoked lamb!! Even my buddies who don't like lamb loved the gyros. Never say never!! Hahaha
grantmichaels said:
I think I might hit mine w/ some new De Roo creations ... smoking over pimento lump.
Oh nice!!!! Anything from Dru is instant magic!! And pimento lump holly Hell that's my favorite for jerk!! Jerk lamb that might be a major player!! We're did you get the lump ?

oldsalty said:
Oh nice!!!! Anything from Dru is instant magic!! And pimento lump holly Hell that's my favorite for jerk!! Jerk lamb that might be a major player!! We're did you get the lump ?

http://shop.pimentowood.com/main.sc;jsessionid=5E37E666E7859DA5CA01120E740DA395.m1plqscsfapp03

;)

Those white boxes w/ the Jamaican flag are the pimento lump, but I didn't notice it was in stock right now ...

I went to check the Green Machine to see how it might compliment the meat, but I tried the DruBQ2 and I'm absolutely using that ...

I punted on the tzatziki ... only because I like Trader Joe's offering ... but I think I might doctor the store-bought tzatziki w/ a little bit of the Green Machine, and use the whole DruBQ2 packet on the leg of lamb ...

grantmichaels said:
http://shop.pimentowood.com/main.sc;jsessionid=5E37E666E7859DA5CA01120E740DA395.m1plqscsfapp03

;)

Those white boxes w/ the Jamaican flag are the pimento lump, but I didn't notice it was in stock right now ...

I went to check the Green Machine to see how it might compliment the meat, but I tried the DruBQ2 and I'm absolutely using that ...

I punted on the tzatziki ... only because I like Trader Joe's offering ... but I think I might doctor the store-bought tzatziki w/ a little bit of the Green Machine, and use the whole DruBQ2 packet on the leg of lamb ...
Thanks for the link!! That sounds banging!!!!! Should have great heat and unreal flavor!!! I love the tzatziki idea!! I did the same this time normally Heather makes the tzatziki but used quick method and I added a white Hab for extra heat!!
When are you doing yer cook?

oldsalty said:
Thanks for the link!! That sounds banging!!!!! Should have great heat and unreal flavor!!! I love the tzatziki idea!! I did the same this time normally Heather makes the tzatziki but used quick method and I added a white Hab for extra heat!!
When are you doing yer cook?

If I can manage to brew a batch today, and get enough work knocked out that I can weave it into tomorrow ... then =)

Back