LAND OF THE GIANTS 2016 - Biggest Jim Competition

I never really got any of the big peppers this year...but, did get quite a few for chili rellenos 

most recent harvest

IMG_6056_zpsu2hes75i.jpg

Hi all, apologies for not updating the leader board since the last entry (thought I had but must of imagined it!), see below for latest standings as we head into the final month of the competition.  Is there opportunity for late drama, or does cone-9 have this stitched up?!

Biggest Individual Pod Leaderboard

1. cone-9, World Record Big Jim, 27.3 long by 15cm circumference, score 42.3

2. floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 28 long by 11.4 circumference, score 39.4

3. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7

4. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.7

5. Skullbiker, World Record Big Jim, 22.4cm long by 11.1cm circumference, total score 33.5 

6. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 19.2cm long and 11.6cm in circumference, score 30.8

7. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8

8. Coldsmoke/mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25

9. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

Team Challenge Leaderboard

CG Total Score = 90.5

1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 30.8

2. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.7

3. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

THP Total Score = 171.2

1. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 19cm long and 9cm circumference, score 25

2. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8

3. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7

4. floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 28 long by 11.4 circumference, score 39.4 

5. cone-9, World Record Big Jim, 27.3 long by 15cm circumference, score 42.3

Meanwhile Faron sent me this picture, not an official entry as www.chileseedusa.com are sponsoring the comp, but they sure do grow them big down in Hatch! 
614d1d666fd903a7b3ca4981e32717da.jpg

Well as the competition ends tomorrow I have decided to pull today ... these have been hiding in the corner of the poly tunnel between the bonnets ... plenty of width but just could not get the length ... I reckon 12 x 14.5 but need you to verify ... thanks Dennis it's been a great competition and I have an unintentional cross Big Jim x SB

So thank you very much everyone for your interest in the competition and you fantastic entries, the competition is now closed and we have a winner!

Congratulations to cone-9 with the following worthy winning entry - World Record Big Jim, 27.3 long by 15cm circumference, score 42.3.  If you PM me your address details please I will pass them onto the kind people offering prizes who will send to you directly.

Unbelievable late drama and so close floricole with your late entry, just shy of first place with total score of 41.5!  How fat is that thing?!

I hope you enjoyed it, for me a great competition and really opened my eyes to a fantastic heirloom pepper that I've never grown before. My plant has produced about 50 huge(ish) pods which I've enjoyed immensely over the course of the season.

Also congratulations to THP on winning the team challenge and bragging rights for this year! Great job folks and despite being soundly beaten, we'll be maintaining a stiff upper lip over at team CG and will live to fight again next year! 

I'm thinking next season we will go with a c.chinense themed biggest pod comp, and will be taking advice from John (trident) on the Big Daddy Biggest Bonnet challenge. I'll be starting a new thread and posting details of next years comp very soon.

Full leader board below;

Biggest Individual Pod Leaderboard
1. cone-9, World Record Big Jim, 27.3 long by 15cm circumference, score 42.3
2. floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 25 long by 16.5 circumference, score 41.5
3. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7
4. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.7
5. Heefy, World Record Big Jim, 26.2cm long by 10.3cm circumference, total score 36.5
6. Skullbiker, World Record Big Jim, 22.4cm long by 11.1cm circumference, total score 33.5
7. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 19.2cm long and 11.6cm in circumference, score 30.8
8. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
9. Coldsmoke/mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
10. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14.5cm long and 12cm circumference, score 26.5
11. uknsaunders, NuMex Big Jim, 18.5cm long and 7.5 circumference, score 26

Team Challenge Leaderboard
CG Total Score = 156
1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 30.8
2. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.7
3. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14.5cm long and 12cm circumference, score 26.5
4. Heefy, World Record Big Jim, 26.2cm long by 10.3cm circumference, total score 36.5
5. uknsaunders, NuMex Big Jim, 18.5cm long and 7.5 circumference, score 26

THP Total Score = 173.3
1. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 19cm long and 9cm circumference, score 25
2. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
3. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7
4. floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 25 long by 16.5 circumference, score 41.5
5. cone-9, World Record Big Jim, 27.3 long by 15cm circumference, score 42.3

This very nice gift arrived from ChilliSeedUSA.  

And, yes, I have already sampled the powders.  The green is a bit more hot than the red.  Both are packed with fresh chilli flavor!

I grew Legacy last year(2015) - very tasty pepper.  I'm looking forward to growing the Ms. Junie in '17 (and maybe revisiting the Legacy as well).

A big "Thank You" to Faron Lytle of ChilliSeedUSA for the gift and dennish for hosting the contest.

This was kinda like; "I know a million dollars exists, but I've never seen it in person".  

Well, this is what 2 kilos of pepper powder looks like.

This was the 1st place prize from PepperLover.com  -- Chocolate Lava Powder !

A big "Thank you" to Judy for a cool award.  I've not cooked with the powder yet but it smells wonderful and tastes very good (from a small sample off a spoon - all this weenie could handle).

There is major burn here... as well as coughing, sneezing and huge mucous production from just inhaling a little bi!  I poured some out of the bag into a smaller bowl as I was preparing a couple baggies to go to "florcole".  Fortunately, I had the sense to do this outside but a wind whipped up and I got hit in the face.

As both prizes were sent to me, we decided to split up the products from each package so we could both enjoy them all.  I prepared a box to go to floricole with a little over half of the Chiliseed powders and 650 grams of Judy's.  That left us both with a nice assortment of powders and seeds at a reasonable shipping cost to Canada.
Great contest.

Once again, thanks to Judy from PepperLover, Faron Lytle from ChilliSeedUSA and dennish.

Back