LAND OF THE GIANTS 2016 - Biggest Jim Competition

floricole said:
It was not easy to get the measure accurately that's why I did the video, reading 27.1 but you can write 26.9 for this one.
still over a month to get other pods. will select one straight next time

Thanks for clarifying floricole, puts you joint top, great job!  

Updated leader board to follow shortly...

alkhall said:
@floricole,

Nice pod.

It appears that the largest pods I have this year are all curled/twisted. The straight was are easier to measure, but are smaller.

Interesting point alkhal... Given the method of length measuring, allowing for curvature of the pod as opposed to 'as the crow flies' straight from top to bottom, curved pods are going to have an advantage more often than not.  Still, everyone is playing by the same rules so we are comparing like for like and the method of measuring is consistent so I don't think it's a problem. 

Updated leader board below...  neck and neck for 1st place!  

Team THP thrashing team CG at this stage too  :oops: , think we've had quite a few CG members with total wipe out for various reasons... just hoping we can post five scores on the board!

Biggest Individual Pod Leaderboard
1. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7 /  floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 26.9 long by 10.8 circumference, score 37.7 
2. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.2
3. Skullbiker, World Record Big Jim, 22.4cm long by 11.1cm circumference, total score 33.5 
4. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 19.2cm long and 11.6cm in circumference, score 30.8
6. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
7. Coldsmoke/mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
8. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

Team Challenge Leaderboard
CG Total Score = 90
1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 30.8
2. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.1cm long by 11.2cm circumference, total score 36.2
3. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

THP Total Score = 152.2
1. Coldsmoke, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
2. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 19cm long and 9cm circumference, score 25
3. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
4. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7
5. floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 26.9 long by 10.8 circumference, score 37.7 

Here is my one and only entry.  It is a Big Jim World Record, the only pepper the plant set.
I have provided multiple pics to show how I measured.  I'll have the pepper until tomorrow when I plan to pickle it if you need any more pics.

Here it is on the plant just before harvest:

Length @ 27.2mm (or 28.7mm)  - 27mm at the tip pic but I did not notice I shorted myself about 1.5mm at the calyx until I saw the pics (So, you make the call 27.2mm or 28.7mm)

Girth @ 15mm - I used the 10mm mark as my zero point(to eliminate error from overlapping the thick end ring on the tape)

and side pics of the tape wrap

Fun contest.  I hope to have more than one pepper to offer next year. 

And, a big "Thank You" to roper2008 for sending me the seed!

Hey cone-9, nice pod!  :D

Think we've got some cm/mm confusion in your post, unless I'm missing something...  Looks to me that the length measurement 27.1cm (271mm) is indeed a couple of mm shy at the cylax end, making the correct measurement 27.3cm (273mm) - hopefully you agree with this?

The girth measurement has me scratching my head... looks like you saying the girth is 15cm?  Would it be possible to show a pic with zero as the zero point and the tape measure wrapped around the pod at the fatest point once?

Thanks!

wrapped at little further down where it's simpler to keep the tape tight against the pepper(I want to be as diligent about my measuring technique as everyone else!)

There we go - I think I have every angle covered.

Hi cone-9, thanks for the further detailed photos!  

I make that 12.8cm around?  See pic below, I think you should be measuring where one end of the tape hits the other, you seem to be allowing for some overlap unless I am missing something here?
d442b3e04bbcd2ba5184799009a80e64.jpg

By my reckoning that would be 27.3cm length + 12.8cm circumference = score 40.1, still good enough to smash top spot at the moment!

In years past I made extensive use of an analytical balance and while this tape, by comparison, is a crude measuring device I do understand how to use it and where the zero point is located.

Ah, thanks cone-9... I was having a mental block as my tape starts at 'the zero point' so the intersecting point represents the girth measurement when wrapped around an object, whereas your tape has a blank space at the start... I can see that clearly now, sorry for the confusion.

So I make that... 27.3cm length + 15cm circumference = score 42.3, great work!  I'll post an updated leader board shortly...  Bendy pods reign supreme it seems!

The "bendy" pod considerations generate some thoughts about the geometry of measuring irregular curved surfaces (but they generate NO thoughts about the calculus involved in accomplishing those measurements because such thoughts are soooooo far buried my mind in places I never want to visit again!).  

The outer surface(which we measure) of bendy pods will be longer than the inner surface (which we do not measure).  If we could straighten a bendy pod either the inner surface would need to stretch to maintain the outer length or the outer surface would need to compress to maintain the inner length.  
So what is the true length?

If we could bend a straight pod either the outer surface would need to stretch to maintain the inner length or the inner surface would need to compress to maintain the outer length.

And, should we measure "as the crow flies" or allow for all the bumps and indentations in our measurement value.

Sometimes my mind wonders into over-analysis and sometimes I watch television.

cone9 said:
The "bendy" pod considerations generate some thoughts about the geometry of measuring irregular curved surfaces (but they generate NO thoughts about the calculus involved in accomplishing those measurements because such thoughts are soooooo far buried my mind in places I never want to visit again!).  

The outer surface(which we measure) of bendy pods will be longer than the inner surface (which we do not measure).  If we could straighten a bendy pod either the inner surface would need to stretch to maintain the outer length or the outer surface would need to compress to maintain the inner length.  

If we could bend a straight pod either the outer surface would need to stretch to maintain the inner length or the inner surface would need to compress to maintain the outer length.

And, should we measure "as the crow flies" or allow for all the bumps and indentations in our measurement value.

Sometimes my mind wonders into over-analysis and sometimes I watch television.

Its all good provided we have a consistent method of measurement!  One of the earlier entries had a section of the pod which curved back on itself, included in the length measurement!  Mind bending indeed.

Interesting about the bendy pods being the longest though, as you point out the outer surface seems to become stretched, more so than straight pods as we have seen in the leading entries so far.

Updated leader board below, we have a new leader!  Also replaced one of the lowest scoring from the team 'top 5' entries with cone-9's whopper.  

Exciting to see if anyone can top this as we enter the 'business end' of the competition, we still have around 8 weeks left to submit entries.

Biggest Individual Pod Leaderboard
1. cone-9, World Record Big Jim, 27.3 long by 15cm circumference, score 42.3
2. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7 /  floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 26.9 long by 10.8 circumference, score 37.7 
3. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.2
4. Skullbiker, World Record Big Jim, 22.4cm long by 11.1cm circumference, total score 33.5 
5. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 19.2cm long and 11.6cm in circumference, score 30.8
6. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
7. Coldsmoke/mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
8. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

Team Challenge Leaderboard
CG Total Score = 90
1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 30.8
2. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.2
3. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

THP Total Score = 169.5
1. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 19cm long and 9cm circumference, score 25
2. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
3. alkhall, NuMex Big Jim, 27.1 long by 10.6 circumference, score 37.7
4. floricole, NuMex Big Jim, 26.9 long by 10.8 circumference, score 37.7 
5. cone-9, World Record Big Jim, 27.3 long by 15cm circumference, score 42.3

I roasted a peeled about five lbs of hatch peppers last night.. My house still smells like chili goodness. Anyone been roasting the Big Jims?

Here's my latest entry, slightly improved score but doesn't effect the leader board positions...

23.2cm long and 13.5cm around, score 26.7, can somebody please check the photos and I'll update the leader board, cheers!
6b274ae1e8c411815dfc2f0f03d44c5a.jpg

23de77af6da7d6847bd9f2b8accc27de.jpg

90e312aa7c91231a233d032562a92414.jpg

dennish said:
Here's my latest entry, slightly improved score but doesn't effect the leader board positions...

23.2cm long and 13.5cm around, score 26.7, can somebody please check the photos and I'll update the leader board, cheers!

it's good Dennish
I'll check mine tonight

I have picked up three of similar size
ztTt0EPl.jpg

let's start with the left one
SOVZ3Iel.jpg

alnKhGK.png

length of 26.7

9X7T6UH.png

12.4 diameter

39.1 total

the middle one was 26 length and 12.5 diameter total of 38.5

the one on the right is longer but thinner but the picture are not on focus will do them soon. 
it have a few millimeter total more then the first one 

Back