LAND OF THE GIANTS 2016 - Biggest Jim Competition

dennish said:

Very nice pod alkhall!  Do you have a pic which shows the whole length of the pod, the one above has the bottom clipped off...  Not that I don't think your measurements are accurate, just wanting to keep the comp honest and make sure we have a solid proof on entries, especially when it looks a possible winner at this stage - thanks!) 

I will take another pic of that pod. I believe I have another pod that is not ripe yet that may be even larger.

I will be more diligent in making sure to get the entire pod and tape measure in the pic from now on.

EDIT: My Big Jim got used in a pot of chili!!!!

Sorry, no new pic of that one, but there are others...

alkhall said:
I will take another pic of that pod. I believe I have another pod that is not ripe yet that may be even larger.

I will be more diligent in making sure to get the entire pod and tape measure in the pic from now on.

EDIT: My Big Jim got used in a pot of chili!!!!

Sorry, no new pic of that one, but there are others...

Hope your others are as big!?  

I've got one that's fatter and the same length as the one I entered, so slightly improved score but not as big as the one you posted above... yet (grow damn you grow)!  :P

Today I decided to pick all of my current crop of Big Jims, all except the one pod which looks like it is a biggie and still growing!  My hope is that the plant will channel it's energy into the last pod and also treat me to a 2nd flush of pods.
f75461e6dbfddc4ee3e5b0717bd90d14.jpg

As you can see lots of nice pods in the 22cm range!
b92cb670edb4e92563379d69bb2d1f78.jpg

I measured one which I will will submit as an updated entry... measuring in at 13cm around and 23.2cm long, score 36.2. If someone can give my photos and measurements the thumbs up, I'll update the leaderboard.
2638aecb6f229f6a71a97e518bde02cf.jpg

bc22e171514d46877dd6cff363b73a3c.jpg

0fae672036a124c42adf63936edad672.jpg

For simplicity I've decided that updated entries will replace and previous, i.e. each person will only have one entry in the leaderboard at any one time.

alkhall said:
Just checked one still on the plant; I will only say it is bigger than the previous one...
Good stuff, must be a monster you have growing there alkhall, look forward to seeing it!

Updated leaderboard below...  :fireball:

Biggest Individual Pod Leaderboard
1. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.2cm long by 13cm circumference, total score 36.2
2. Skullbiker, World Record Big Jim, 22.4cm long by 11.1cm circumference, total score 33.5 
3. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 19.2cm long and 11.6cm in circumference, score 30.8
4. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
5. Coldsmoke/mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
6. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

Team Challenge Leaderboard
CG Total Score = 90
1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 30.8
2. dennish, World Record Big Jim, 23.1cm long by 11.2cm circumference, total score 36.2
3. Trident, Work Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 9cm circumference, score 23

THP Total Score = 76.8
1. Coldsmoke, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
2. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 19cm long and 9cm circumference, score 25
3. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8

dennish said:
Nice! What is the length measurement? Do you have a close up? Looks about 27cm?
I thought we needed a wide shot of overall pod?

I am not suggesting anyone would 'fudge' a millimeter here or there, but would not a closeup make that easier?

I was not able to get the rubber band to stay in place on the very tip of the pod, but by my measurement, it was 27.1, I am good with 27, if that is acceptable.

If you really need a closeup, I can provide one...

alkhall said:
I thought we needed a wide shot of overall pod?

I am not suggesting anyone would 'fudge' a millimeter here or there, but would not a closeup make that easier?

I was not able to get the rubber band to stay in place on the very tip of the pod, but by my measurement, it was 27.1, I am good with 27, if that is acceptable.

If you really need a closeup, I can provide one...
Ok no need for a close up, we'll go with 27.1 x 10.6, score 37.7.

My new leader posted earlier today was short lived indeed, well done!

I'll post the updated leaderboard tomorrow.

floricole said:
I have removed this one before it rots, not easy to measured the spiral tail

Nice pod floricole!  I make that 10.8 around but struggling to see the length exactly, what did you measure it at?

dennish said:

Nice pod floricole!  I make that 10.8 around but struggling to see the length exactly, what did you measure it at?
watch video
and give me the score that you like
I will tell you after the length it was

floricole said:

watch video
and give me the score that you like
I will tell you after the length it was

Now I'm even more confused  :confused:

I don't want to guess, please can you just state the measurements?  Thanks!

As a general point, please can people please just state measurements with photos which back them up when posting an entry?  I'm not judging the entries or giving scores, it should be black and white derived from the measurements of the pod.... cheers.   

It was not easy to get the measure accurately that's why I did the video, reading 27.1 but you can write 26.9 for this one.
still over a month to get other pods. will select one straight next time

Back