• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

last frosts

i've decided to give some of my plants a head start and plant them to the dirt few days earlier. tonight was -4C and now im almost as devastated as my pepper plants are.. ive lost about 40-45 of 75 total plants. some of them with 6 flowers already. and tonight is going to be below 0 again..
i've learnt my lesson :/

Yea, that's what I'm worried about too. According to the farmers almanac my last frost date is Jun. 4. Dad said it's usually around May 21st for the site specific area. Either way, sorry to hear about your plants.

Officially, ours is May 12 but we always went by May 15. But the forecast is for lows in the lower 50s or higher for the next five days so I'm ready to plant as soon as the ground dries.

Mike

Yea we've had a few nights that were warm, but then we've slipped into about a week of cold weather. We've been getting highs of 10c (50f) during the day and lows of 1c (32f) at night. We've even had a few that slipped below 0c.

I'm getting cramped for space, but I'm going to hold off for about 2 more weeks then re-evaluate the weather situation. I don't want to lose anything either.

So sorry to hear this serrano. Hopefully the ones that made it will be able to keep you in peppers.

I've been sweating this same thing just like most of us. Our last frost date is May 15th and it's been staying above 45 for several days now. I suppose it's time. I would like to have my house back.

i would wait man you dont want to lose the lil plants bcz of the frost i was mad last year when i lost alot of my plants bcz of the frost

This is a great site for last frosts, has graphic charts too and three different first and last frost dates with percentages.

http://www.climate-charts.com/USA-climate.html

Heres a chart for where I live...

NY303284.png

Using the above chart for our town 90% of the time our last frost date is May 17th. I know it's been windy and COLD..down in the 30's a couple of days brrr! I'm so ready for some warmth lol. My plants are more than invading the living room, they've taken over.

Damn, sorry to hear about your pepper loss.
Weather Channel says McKeesport is going to hit 39 degrees on the 17th, I'm not taking any chances.

Sorry for you loss Serrano, that really sucks. Try to cover them with a tarp at night if you still have some left in the ground. I found that really protects them well and then you can uncover them when the sun comes up in the morning and temperature rises. Great way to extend harvests at the end of the year too.

I have bet and won the last 2 years. I planted out 1 full month before the expected last frost date.

You have to watch the weather religeously and be ready with blankets.

You work too hard to lose it all.

Not to lecture, but if you saw that the night would be that cold, you should have dug them all up!

You will be OK. People may be able to ship you plants. Is there anywhere near that sells plants?

um thanks everyone. i see frost is a common concern. well my friend will give me some excess of his plants that he didnt plant out yet. i also planted some new seeds to overwinter for 2010 season already :) that cheered me up a little.

Sorry about your losses
I never gamble with my plant anymore, since I usually always lose:( We had frost on June 7th a few years ago, so I don't plant until the middle of June at the earliest since this gives the ground a little more time to warm up

serrano said:
i should have dig out the best plants.. im regreting it now.

Covering it with plastic would have helped too, you can get large sheets of plastic used to cover objects or flooring when painting for real cheap just about anywhere.

Back