• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

flavor Lavender and thyme in a sauce?

Anyone make or have tried a sauce with lavender and thyme in it? I got a weird craving some something bright and citrusy with hints of lavender and thyme. Maybe aji pineapple, pear and roasted garlic?

Can’t imagine what it would be good on though.

I can’t say I’ve had it in food. Probably wouldn’t be good… maybe mango, thyme, roasted garlic and onion.

I have a cornucopia of frozen peppers. Blueberries, mango, pineapple, pears, carrots, garlic, onions, apple cider, champagne and rice wine vinegars.. trying to use what I have without going to store

Lavender no it would mask the taste of the pineapple it's a must stronger taste than people think..I've had in Scones and other things and never again.
THP points sound wise.

Thyme can work through. I'd actually just use the essence. Boil some in water for 30 min then take it out and reduce the water down.

Lemon, thyme, garlic, pineapple yes!

I ended up doing yellow el scorponero, pear, pineapple, apple sauce, roasted garlic and onion, apple cider and rice wine vinegar, lime juice, citric acid and taste tested with and without thyme. Was sooo good with the thyme.

Attachments

• 96967226-07A7-4FB2-8C9E-DD5E8A24DFC6.jpeg
    96967226-07A7-4FB2-8C9E-DD5E8A24DFC6.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 112
Thyme is great. It's so rich, almost umami. I love it in a lot of things.

Reactions: jrm
I’m kinda mad at myself because the sauce turned out really good and of course I winged it and didn’t write any measurements down. The citric acid was a nice touch too. First time using in a sauce. The thyme altered the appearance but not in a terrible way.

Attachments

• 5BC4F27B-0ABD-415A-B16B-44388C3A1F9F.jpeg
    5BC4F27B-0ABD-415A-B16B-44388C3A1F9F.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 123
Not a huge lavender fan, but if I had to suggest a recipe it would probably have cocoa powder, whiskey (or tequila), honey, and lavender and I'd use it on vanilla ice cream. Got any chocolate peppers? Could make a nice dessert sauce.

Sounds good, I don’t think I have any. I took the year off gardening so just working with the freezer supply.

Was thinking about making the chocolate cherry chipotle again. That was good. Seen in my notes maybe adding a little Madagascar vanilla the next time I make it.

Last edited:
I’m kinda mad at myself because the sauce turned out really good and of course I winged it and didn’t write any measurements down. The citric acid was a nice touch too. First time using in a sauce. The thyme altered the appearance but not in a terrible way.
Really?!?!??? No notes?!??? Bad Saucemaker!!!!

Course, i might not of ever done that.....:halo:

Just wing it again and write it down. Your instincts will kick in, your brain made certain choices and they will repeat based on who you are.
true detective hbo GIF

I’m kinda mad at myself because the sauce turned out really good and of course I winged it and didn’t write any measurements down.
D3, you’re the poster child for doing that!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Glad to hear it turned out well, and great to see you posting again, bud :cheers:

FWIW, I’ve had a lavender based jelly before , from a lady on a different forum, and it was delicious. No peppers in it though

I have lavender plants and have made yummy...to most....lavender jelly.

Lemon, thyme, garlic, pineapple yes!
Grilled pineapple and grilled sliced lemon, roasted garlic / thyme

I am thinking of roasting the garlic cloves in a foil pack on the grill with a bit of evoo, lay fresh thyme on top of the garlic, fold it all up and cook on the grill while grilling the pineapple and lemon.
Yay? Nay?

Im not feeling the lavender AND thyme vibe, but who knows? Ya never know until you try~~~

Have fun!

Last edited:
Sure! Grilled lemon (imo) really won't change the flavor, not enough sugars to caramelize. When you squeeze it it still tastes like lemon juice, just hot. It's good on fish etc. but for sauce I might opt for fresh squeezed and grill the rest, yes. Maybe squeeze lemon juice on the pineapple as that grills.

Back