• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

LED panels for peppers

IME, the effectiveness of LEDs depends on the color they are emitting. I have four panels, three that use 226 3mm bulbs and 13 watts of power and one that uses 112 10mm bulbs and 45 watts.

Of the three 226 bulb panels, two are more heavily dialed to the red spectrum while the other is far more blue. Placing them about two inches from the plant canopy, I get about 800-3,000 lumens depending on where the meter is placed. LED lights are very directional and moving the light a half-inch can make a big difference. The 45 watt lamp is much brighter, obviously, producing nearly 7,000 lumens two inches away.

I prefer how the plants grow under the LEDs vs. CFLs or regular Fluoros. The intranodal length is much less, even less than those plants in sunlight in the garden. The leaves are also much thicker. Total height seems to be about the same, except for an eggplant. The one under the light (and growing in a hydroponics system) is double the size of the ones in the garden, though it was transplanted about four days later.

As soon as I get another 45 watt panel, I plan on germinating a tray of seeds and charting their growth over a 10 week period then comparing them to how other other lights produce. AJ has said he will try using shop lights with T12 fluoros, if anyone wants to use CFLs or HIDs your participation would be appreciated.

Mike

A Black Champion eggplant transplanted June 24:

79blueegg.jpg

The tomato plants, also transplanted on the 24th:

79redtom.jpg

Mike

Nute,

What I am finding is that the distributors are interested in feedback. They order lights and from my understanding can order bulbs that can output whatever wavelength light they want.

As for the 13 vs 45 watt versions, they are about equal when it comes to Lux vs. $$$ if one is growing several plants or dozens of seedlings. If I was going to grow about 72 seedlings, I would opt for the 45 watt panel - way more lux and the coverage would be more than enough, using the trays I plan on.

I look for the prices to drop - maybe not a huge amount, but from $65 to maybe as low as $45 by February.

Mike

They use led police car light bars in our town. They look cool at night, but not when it's you they are using them for. They look clear (white) until they turn them on, just like the home models.
Right now I just have the 225 bulb kind; I have the mixed red and blue, and the straight blue.

Nute said:
Thanks I appreciate the info.

What do you think of this new 45w one for $100
Would those 10mm bulbs in total draw that much or are they tricking us with the power supply rating? They emailed back saying the draw is 45w
http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Watt-HIGH-PO...ryZ43555QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nute,

This is what I was told: No matter what the size, the light they output is the same as the power put into it. 13 watts of 10mm LEDs is comparable to 13 watts of 3mm LEDs.

I think the difference is the coverage area. I can raise the 112 bulb panel so it covers a 30" x 30" area and the Lux reading is about the same as one 13 watt that covers a 15" x 15" area.

The same guy said he will have a similar light for less than $65 later this month.

Warning: Off topic

In my research I ran across several posts from people who seem to understand photosynthesis and plant growth. Some of them posted that the "blue light equals vegetative growth" is a fallacy due to pot growers. Supposedly, the blue spectrum is suppose to produce a certain chemical in a pot plant that makes it stronger.

I do think that heavy duty pot growers may be the leading source for lower energy usage/high productivity lighting for plants. Face it, they are growing huge rooms of plants and the last thing they want is Johnny Law to see a 1200 sq. ft. house is using 10,000 kilowatts of electricity per month. The LEDs cover a significant amount of area per panel, produce practically no heat, last for years and use way less energy than HID lights do.

What these guys do isn't exactly sanctioned by the authorities, but what they can contribute from their experiences is very valuable. If I'm a NASA honcho, I would hire a pot grower to work on a Mars project! Just be sure to post a No Smoking sign in the workplace!

Mike

What I mean is the 10mm bulbs appear to draw no more than 1/3watt so this particular light may really a 33w or wasting power etc...

It is $120 (or $99 bid on ebay) for a 45w light but a 90w one with 3w or 1w leds is over $400.

It sounds fishy and basing 10mm bulbs as drawing almost 1/2 watt in power. Are they? If so great! That means the $400+ LED light is busted with two 45w versions.

The 'open source' nature of the internet, testing and forums that enables the masses to co-develop a product which one company alone can not match.

I'm hoping that led light manufacturers are reading this and not posting while they work on their product. This is written for you guys :)

Only if others search for leds and help build the circuit here would I bother to try and make one. Meanwhile a wholesale supplier for the 225 leds has been found so I can stock them. I'm sure the markup will be micro but it will nice to do for a bit.

Sorry, I heard pot and came running.

I wonder how feasable it would be to make your own LED pannel or if there are plans on the net for it.....I've been getting into electronics now....

Nute,

I don't have a clue! I suspect the high price for the 90 watt panel is due to the resistors that have to be used, as 120 volts would kill an LED in a heatbeat. A 13 watt panel runs about $25, a 45 watt one about $65.

If you are a very good handy man, and understand circuitry, you could probably make you own light much cheaper. But I think in this instance, this dog is too old to learn a new trick. Maybe in a year or two, I won't be too old!

Mike

imaguitargod said:
Sorry, I heard pot and came running.

I wonder how feasable it would be to make your own LED pannel or if there are plans on the net for it.....I've been getting into electronics now....

Iggy,

If you understand electronics, have a soldering gun and can source the LEDs and other stuff at a decent price, I supect you could make enough money selling these panels to fund any habits you may have developed. I would buy from you. I think. Okay, I would, after I see some reviews!

Mike

Is there a graph that has color temperature matched up with nm for the spectrum?...

Nute, the reason I am using the T-12's for Mikes experiment is that is what I already have.

I am currently using 3000K and 6500K (one bulb each) in each shop light. I was trying to match red and blue spectrum with the fluoros.

I am very interested in the LEDs but have not bought any of them yet.

So, I currently run a 600W MH/HPS setup (depending on grow or flower) in a 1.2 metre x 1.2 metre tent. I think Im using about $100 a month in electricity if you include the oscillating fan and blowing exhaust fan into the equation.

Would 2 of these 112 piece LED's be the way to go to replace the 600W?

MiLK_MaN said:
Would 2 of these 112 piece LED's be the way to go to replace the 600W?

Yes I think so.
100s of dollars will be saved too. It would be a lot cooler (less hot).
You could supplement with 1 26 watt cfl if you want.

MilkMan,

I had my light setting up so that it was covering a 2.5' x 2.5' area and was getting about 1700 lux at the canopy. It was enough for the peppers but the toms were getting leggy. If you use two of them, you could cover about 12.5 sq. feet (as compared to the 16 sq. ft. you do now) but it would be a 2.5 x 5 foot area.

Mike

Hi, I'm a newbie and a bit late to this discussion but here's what I did this year...

First, I wanted to start my seeds in late Jan (north FL) and I knew I would want some indoor lighting so they'd get 12+ hrs a day to start them off. I live "off the grid" so power consumption is an issue and 12v is way better than running an inverter for AC lights. I supplemented the indoor LEDs-in-a-box with daylight time outside when the weather permitted. I had a bit of bad luck with an eBay seller and had to use a small aquarium bulb while I was waiting for shipment. It worked fairly well. Then I got an AC 225 panel that had some overheating issues I fixed myself with higher wattage resistors. Finally, I got a 12v panel which worked fine but isn't as bright as the AC panel.

I plan on using the same lights next year. :)
LED seedling pics

c.

Nute said:
For vegetative the LEDs look promising but for blooms I believe the power is too low and/or the spectrum is missing.

I have a Thai Dragon that has about six buds waiting to bloom.

As I've posted before, I am experimenting with the lights and hydro set-ups. I was using a 25 watt CFL bulb over a tomato plant much earlier this year. The plant grew fantastically and developed one bloom, which dropped. It has not produced another bloom, though the plant is well over 5 foot tall! IIRC, the guy growing the peppers in hydro with the CFL bulbs mentioned he has great vegetation, but few blooms.

As an aside, I really don't need the lights, at least none but the 112 bulb to produce fruit. I just want to get strong, bushy seedlings to transplant.

I've been e-mailing AJ about an experiment where some of us can try the LEDs, others the various flavors of fluoros, or anyone with an HID. Basically, we would use the same varieties of seeds, potting soil, containers and nuits (or vary different trays) and chart the growth over a 8-10 week period from germination. At the end of the test, compare the plants and rootballs to see how each different types of light performs.

This may help answer some questions about how the lights work.

Mike

Nute said:
Which resistors did you replace with which?

The AC panel I got from a guy in Cali was a 16w model with 225 LEDs mixed red and blue. He had built a custom power supply board to convert it from 110v to about 45vdc (as I recall) and the current limiting resistors got super hot because they were rated at barely what they were handling. The solder melted out of the board and I did a clumsy upgrade to them - up to ummmmm, 2 watts? No problems after that.

Back