• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

LED panels for peppers

wordwiz said:
This is what I was told: No matter what the size, the light they output is the same as the power put into it. 13 watts of 10mm LEDs is comparable to 13 watts of 3mm LEDs.

This is not true. Different sizes and brands can have a huge difference in how much light per watt.

wordwiz said:
In my research I ran across several posts from people who seem to understand photosynthesis and plant growth. Some of them posted that the "blue light equals vegetative growth" is a fallacy due to pot growers. Supposedly, the blue spectrum is suppose to produce a certain chemical in a pot plant that makes it stronger.

All blue, all red, and a mix of the two have very different effects on the growth of pepper plants. Experiments from http://www.greenpinelane.com prove this.

Alawn,

I'm a big reader of greenpine and find his experiments interesting. In my (very limited) experiences, a bluish light, even with some red, is going to produce a very stocky plant with thick, dark, green leaves. More red, and the plants are not as stocky and the leaves are not as thick, but it does get taller quicker, though the internodal length is very acceptable.

Can't tell you about flowering, fruiting or fruit growth yet - I will have to wait a while!

Mike

Even my "standard" mostly red LEDs produced a stocky plant. I was amazed at how much they stretched out within a week of being outdoors full-time. I would have to experiment furter to determine if it was color, intensity, or length of day that made them taller. All my flowering was outdoors, so nothing unusual there.

Mmmmm... 24v version sounds interesting. I wonder if my 12v array is just an under powered 24v board and that's why it's not as bright? I'm sure as heck not going to change out all the surface mount resistors on that board, so maybe carefully bumping the voltage will make it a winner. Unfortunatly I don't know the bulb specs but I'll assume at least 200mA to start with and go from there. Can't work on it for a while though - out of town at the moment.

FWIW, I received an e-mail from a Chinese company that sells the 40 watt, 112 bulb lamp with a 24V DC adapter for about $54 plus shipping. It uses 620-630 nm red and 453-460 nm blue. They claim the lighting area is 3 sq. meters but I think that is overstated, unless the bulbs are a lot brighter than mine.

Mike

Nute,

It's the same light you posted about. I don't know about PP - haven't got that far yet.

I would prefer to run them 24 hours a day if I want, but 18 hours is fine.

She's suppose to reply with the shipping costs - I'll let you know.

Mike

Yahoo! My light came in the mail. Now all I have to do is find a power supply. Doh!
It says 12-30 volts. How many Ma? Does it matter?
I will email the dudes that sent it. I thought I could just plug it in. oh well.
I'm electronically challenged. :^(
I'll figure it out.
In the mean time, what do you suggest guys?

Here is a pic for the 126w one from china.
Bout time they got serious.
Power_LED_Plant_Growing_Lamp.jpg

Got this from Joy today. It is in reference the the lamps Nute and I posted about.

1) Yes, for high power our LED Qty is 36 Pieces ( Blue) +72 Pieces ( Red) with 630 nm for red led lamps . For them we can make them to be in 110V/240V
and 24V, for 24V requires a power supply. The power supply is RMB: 52.00 with Certificates ( CE/FCC/ UL/SAA)

2) The price is $325 for 6 pieces for 24V with Power Supply is correct. However this does not including the shipping cost. Hehe. Sorry.

That's less than $55 each plus shipping.

Mike

Nute said:
Lighting for 24 hours is not good way for plant and not a good way for the lamp. As you know most of machinery requires a break and then to work again. Hehe. Right? Uh, No.
That response was totally unacceptable and incompetent.
I agree; that's not cool. Sorry 'bout your luck Joy.
For me, 24 hours is a good way for plant.:cool:

FWIW,

The person I have been buying my lights from is expecting a shipment in a couple of weeks. I've been using her panels for two months without a problem. I don't know what the price will be but I'm sure that it will be significantly below $120. I'll see if she can post the details on her site and get back with you. Another guy said he was going to have some of those panels for under $65 later this month or very early next month. $120 for the e-bay light is simply way too much.

True, I don't really trust Joy, but at least it gives me an idea of what wholesale prices are looking like.

Mike

Nute said:
Watts tells you how much water is coming out of the pipe.
Amps tells you how wide the pipe is.
Volts is how much pressure.
Amps and volts together determine the flow.

VA=W (Volts * Amps = Watts)
By Billiard Wilson OHM creator of OHMs law

You forgot to mention Ohms in the equation.
Volts divided by ohms equals amps.

But, there are other factors. I have a heater, a new type, that uses only 425 watts of energy but essentially puts out as much heat as one that uses 1500 watts.

Mike

Barbie is selling the lights for $80. I'll PM anyone who is interested in contacting her, her e-mail addy.

I have one of the lights and just measured the Lux at the plant canopy (9 inches from the light). My meter read 6,670. At that distance, the light covers a 16 inch square area. It can be run 24/7 though I usually turn it off overnight a couple of nights a week, just to give the plants a little break. I know they are not suppose to care, but they seem to respond better.

Last month, I had the light two feet away from the plants and was getting about 1500-1700 Lux. It was covering a 30"x30" area but my tomato plants were getting a little leggy.

She also sells hydro systems as well as the 226 bulb, 13 watt LED panels.

Mike

Barbie's website and email.

Could you please send me this info. Thanks. Tony
I just turn the lights off if I am home that night, because they are in my bedroom and the slight heat and realatively bright light bother me a little when sleeping. I used to leave them on, but now that it's summer...
I would like to start selling lights myself, if I could find a good chinese connection.:lol:
Sounds like a very exciting field to be in right now.

wordwiz said:
Barbie is selling the lights for $80. I'll PM anyone who is interested in contacting her, her e-mail addy.

I have one of the lights and just measured the Lux at the plant canopy (9 inches from the light). My meter read 6,670. At that distance, the light covers a 16 inch square area. It can be run 24/7 though I usually turn it off overnight a couple of nights a week, just to give the plants a little break. I know they are not suppose to care, but they seem to respond better.

Last month, I had the light two feet away from the plants and was getting about 1500-1700 Lux. It was covering a 30"x30" area but my tomato plants were getting a little leggy.

She also sells hydro systems as well as the 226 bulb, 13 watt LED panels.

Mike

Back