• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Leifi 2020 - Learning the hard way

So, I thought I'd start a glog, primarily to keep track of what I am doing and when, to remember next year what went wrong and what went well, and to force some order into the chaos that is my growth.

Glog is starting a bit late perhaps, considering the growing has been going on since late July 19, not sure if those are true Ow's, or just a reeeeaaally early start of 2020 season...?

This is my first ever pepper grow, I am quite hooked already, and planted some more seeds yesterday, although I have already run out of space. Usual story, it's my impression from other Glogs!

Quick resumé of the History:
July 19, first seeds planted.
3 Yaki blue
2 Urfa
2 Criolla da cocina
2 Jalapeño
2 Trinidad Perfume
2 Pablano
100% Germination rate!

All went well for a while, the plants grew well in the summer light. Indoors. In windows facing north west, cuz well. No options!

Around sept, I put up 6 x 20w LED.

Then I almost killed many plants by overwatering when temperatures dropped. (my apartment gets very hot sunny summer days, at least 5C over the outside temp) Alot of leaf drop, but everyone pulled through.

Then, a massive infestation of fungus gnats. Took a lot of work. I am not sure how I got them in the end, but it included covering every pot in 50mm of perlite/or plastic wrapping to deny access to soil.

And then, November, I realised what was killing my grape vine cuttings - red spider mites, which of course had spread to all peppers. And multiplied. Yried several weeks of neem oil/soapy spray, but it didn't quite work until I did a total defoliation of every plant, AND sprayed what was left with soapy neem.

Success, celebrated by some more seeds in the ground:
2 rocoto allanta rojo (both germ in 5 days!)
2 Citron
1 Lemon blended yellow
1 Aji lemon
2 Tomatoes: Muddy Waters

Everything took again!

Went away for 2,5weeks for Christmas. Neighbour on waterduty, managed to miss (thus killing) one Yaki Blue, my darkest and most beautiful specimen!

Since then I have been mostly neglecting the grow, mostly wondering why tf the new seedlings arent really taking off (still look 3 weeks old after 4 months), and a few weeks ago I realised it is not only the suboptimal light, but also, some nute deficiency (Mg suspected, Epsom treatment started), lock out, or compacting problem. So Last week I did a repotting of almost all of them into hopefully better potting mix.

And! Tomorrow is the first ever harvest planned! A tiny tiny red Poblano! Impressed by how a struggling plant can produce a fruit like that!

Well well well! It looks like my Karma isn´t too bad after all! :-)

Briefly: All the indoor plants survived and thrived (except for the Kratky tomato, It survived and suffered, but it has put out 2 small tomatoes!) Lemon tree is looking good again, and 2 of the chilis have exploded with growth. One chili in a self watering pot has been challenged by overwatering, a bad small of rot in the very wet soil. But looks like it will survive!

The outdoor growth is doing above expectations! It has been unattended and unirrigated for 2 periods of 2 weeks each. Luckily we had the coldest july for 30-40 years, and daytime temps of 14C was common for the first half. Luckily, because it didn´t rain much at all.

General conclusions for next year/note to self:
-Weed barrier cloth is a good thing. Try it!
-Grass grows fast.
-Plants smaller than 20cm (2/3 foot) hardly make it, because of the slugs it seems.

The larger ones have been doing ok though, considering the lack of care they have seen!

The larger ones are from left: Jalapeno, yaki blue, hungarian hot wax, and Rocoto Manzano ollanta rojo.

IMG_20200809_145754.jpg

The Yaki Blue is fruiting quite unevenly on different branches/sides. Here is the jackpot!
IMG_20200809_114548.jpg

A colourful harvest! Some a bit unripe, but I will not be there again until 1+ week
-Jalapeno
-Urfa
-Ancho
-Hungarian HW
-Rocoto
-Yaki Blue
IMG_20200809_220736.jpg

Back