• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Leifi 2020 - Learning the hard way

So, I thought I'd start a glog, primarily to keep track of what I am doing and when, to remember next year what went wrong and what went well, and to force some order into the chaos that is my growth.

Glog is starting a bit late perhaps, considering the growing has been going on since late July 19, not sure if those are true Ow's, or just a reeeeaaally early start of 2020 season...?

This is my first ever pepper grow, I am quite hooked already, and planted some more seeds yesterday, although I have already run out of space. Usual story, it's my impression from other Glogs!

Quick resumé of the History:
July 19, first seeds planted.
3 Yaki blue
2 Urfa
2 Criolla da cocina
2 Jalapeño
2 Trinidad Perfume
2 Pablano
100% Germination rate!

All went well for a while, the plants grew well in the summer light. Indoors. In windows facing north west, cuz well. No options!

Around sept, I put up 6 x 20w LED.

Then I almost killed many plants by overwatering when temperatures dropped. (my apartment gets very hot sunny summer days, at least 5C over the outside temp) Alot of leaf drop, but everyone pulled through.

Then, a massive infestation of fungus gnats. Took a lot of work. I am not sure how I got them in the end, but it included covering every pot in 50mm of perlite/or plastic wrapping to deny access to soil.

And then, November, I realised what was killing my grape vine cuttings - red spider mites, which of course had spread to all peppers. And multiplied. Yried several weeks of neem oil/soapy spray, but it didn't quite work until I did a total defoliation of every plant, AND sprayed what was left with soapy neem.

Success, celebrated by some more seeds in the ground:
2 rocoto allanta rojo (both germ in 5 days!)
2 Citron
1 Lemon blended yellow
1 Aji lemon
2 Tomatoes: Muddy Waters

Everything took again!

Went away for 2,5weeks for Christmas. Neighbour on waterduty, managed to miss (thus killing) one Yaki Blue, my darkest and most beautiful specimen!

Since then I have been mostly neglecting the grow, mostly wondering why tf the new seedlings arent really taking off (still look 3 weeks old after 4 months), and a few weeks ago I realised it is not only the suboptimal light, but also, some nute deficiency (Mg suspected, Epsom treatment started), lock out, or compacting problem. So Last week I did a repotting of almost all of them into hopefully better potting mix.

And! Tomorrow is the first ever harvest planned! A tiny tiny red Poblano! Impressed by how a struggling plant can produce a fruit like that!

Also found some bad looking leaves on my Yaki Blue. This is my most vigourously growing plant, I cut it back a few weeks ago when it was about 2feet tall. Before that, it has mysteriously dropped leaves, slowly and continuosly, while at the same time putting out new healthy looking leaves and bud. It had about 50 flowers, all of which fell off easily if I tapped the twig to pollinate. didn't happen with any other plant.

When it comes to colour, this one has lighter coloured leaves the my other 2specimens.

Any input or ideas...? could very well be malnutrition of some sort, I think I have had Mg-deficiency as well as N in several plants. now given epsom and following schedule on nutes better since about a month.

IMG_20200507_205955__01.jpg

Oops not very focused. Gotta sleep now, will get better pic tomorrow.

If there are only one or two leaves like that one,
I usually just cut them off the plant. If a lot of them
are doing it, I might suspect a bacterial leaf spot
of some kind.

Leifi said:
Thanks Stettoman!

And thanks for advice. So only the Turbo pube stands out from other pubescens on indoors you mean? And yes, i have been doing a little spraying. Soon enough I'll be keeping windows ope at night, and they will have 10C drop in temp at night. Keeping my fingers cross it will work indoors. Balcony might be to dark, I am still running a bit of artificial extra light on it.
No, not at all. Though I had a great winter harvest from the Turbo Pube, that in no way means that I believe the Turbo to be exclusive. Given the conditions I think many varieties are capable...but the Turbo was my experience. Keep the bugs off, maintain it in a southern facing window area (my latitude is +/- 46° N), and try to keep the air hydrated or mist regularly. If the plant feels the love, man, it will reciprocate!

PaulG said:
If there are only one or two leaves like that one,
I usually just cut them off the plant. If a lot of them
are doing it, I might suspect a bacterial leaf spot
of some kind.
Thanks very much for input. I found 3 leaves in similar bad shape, and 2 more with minor symptoms. Cut them off, and will keep my fingers crossed for a bacteria free plant...!

Better pic of damage, back vs front of leaf (A)
View attachment 88980
View attachment 88981

Bit of a curl on the 2others, but I think that's an old oedema damage...!
View attachment 88982

stettoman said:
No, not at all. Though I had a great winter harvest from the Turbo Pube, that in no way means that I believe the Turbo to be exclusive. Given the conditions I think many varieties are capable...but the Turbo was my experience. Keep the bugs off, maintain it in a southern facing window area (my latitude is +/- 46° N), and try to keep the air hydrated or mist regularly. If the plant feels the love, man, it will reciprocate!
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

We shall see if I can add any knowledge with my rocotos indoors...! If they will not fruit, i shall consider them a pre grow for an outdoor 2021 success!

I am at about 58 deg North, so cool night's (and well, days too...) is standard for summer. 18 hours of sun in midsummer. Unfortunate that I don't have a South facing window! I will keep spending electricity...! And give it love! ❤️

Any idea of what % RH is prefered by the Rocotos? i think we are naturally mostly around 50% in summer.

I had to Google my claim about our humidity here - turns out that average relative humidity in July is 75-85% where I live (next to the sea). I guess I can start worrying about humidity in November or so again when temperature nears freezing outside...!

And the fastest of last weekend's seeds; Eggplant! (Tsakoniki, a greek heirloom)

IMG_20200509_205940.jpg

My slight hubris is wearing off. My previous rocotos all sprouted in five days exactly. I was thinking, what's all the fuss about...? Now however, 7 days and no sign of cooperation. Reality check and humility growing instead of rocotos!

Gotta say, the plants look better with some RED on them! (Hooray I managed to flip the picture right way up!)

IMG_20200510_093230__01__01.jpg

Nice pods on the indoor plant, Leifi.
Looks like you will be trying one soon!

Good luck getting into the main part
of your grow season.

Well, indoors the weather is the same.

It seems yesterday I didn't check on the little ones. 9-year old teenager took all my focus and energy. Result: 1 dead rosemary which had just gotten first true leaves. Not important, but I realize that grodan cubes can dry up too...!

Big surprise, Japanese White Eggplant are now 50mm/2" tall!

IMG_20200512_213357.jpg

Took a spare moment to build my first ever mini Kratky for a little tomato. Let's see what happens!

IMG_20200512_214026__01__01.jpg
IMG_20200512_214045__01__01.jpg

And why yes, that IS weed in the background. Japanese knotweed to be precise. It's been established in the wild for a century in Sweden, but seems to be spreading rapidly the last few years. Or maybe it is just the Internet and ol skool media giving it attention?

Anyways, took a cuttling and stuck in tap water to see what's true, how aggressivly it grows roots. (NOT gonna plant it out, it will be disposed of according to recommendations once my empirical studies are concluded)) So far no roots after 3weeks, but it doesn't seem to mind. the side shoot is new (4days), and it's gotten some new foliage. Seems to have excellent water retention abilities at least, my chili cuttlings wilted in the same environment... to be continued...!

Small updates:
-Rocoto flowering!

IMG_20200517_200052.jpg

-Jalapeño also. A lot coming!

IMG_20200517_171827.jpg

-Kratky, so far so good. Lots of new roots in a few days. Biggest challenge is to not burn it under the halogen spot. I keep it a bit off center...!

IMG_20200517_170032.jpg
IMG_20200517_170014.jpg

-Another Rocoto finally sprouted after 2 weeks - Giant Arequippa.

-raised a few of my lamps when I remembered they are adjustable...!, The yaki blue seems unfazed by 20w of LED though. Looks better now anyhow.
IMG_20200517_172123.jpg

On the negative side: killed a cuttling. Got algea on some rock wool. still getting leaf drop on the 2 x Yaki blues. Suspecting pests on other plants also, but misplaced my 25x magnifier and can't see.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_200052.jpg
    IMG_20200517_200052.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 75
Quick update: A number of plants have been moved outside after all. Plants in the garden of my parents summer house, an hour away. The gamble, assuming the quick hardening off works, will be risk of drought, at some points they might be on their own for 2weeks. Although, most of the time that's not s problem. Swedish summer = probably more days with rain than without!

3 day gradual sun exposure

IMG_20200521_090352__01.jpg

Some of the plants, a little Rocoto in the foreground, some tomatoes, Urfa Biber..
IMG_20200524_140428__01__01.jpg

And a Yaki Blue got a pot of it's own, with extra shade for mid day sun.

IMG_20200524_120334__01.jpg

After moving out about a dozen plants, coming home I realise I have 19 seedlings to pot up...! Good I got a bit of empty space and pots now at least... Circle of Leif...!

So, I went and checked, and it seems everyone made the transition into the outdoors! Except maybe a little tomato.

At the end of the Rainbow... A purple Bhut Jolaki!

IMG_20200531_125609__01.jpg

Built a ghetto growbox, out of weed barrier stapled to scrap wood. Put some wood shavings and old cow shit with the quite samdy soil. This time the potatoes goes here.

IMG_20200530_162838__01.jpg
IMG_20200531_101002__01.jpg

IMG_20200531_202305__01.jpg

Back home again after 24hrs, I had some major wilt. Only this one plant, must have missed it in last watering... Back in decent shape the next day, lost a few leaves.

IMG_20200531_221829__01.jpg

Kratky is going well. Too well actually, only one of 2 let's remaining. gonna fall over real soon, so I do some trial and error with refilling the kratky. (a small bit.)
IMG_20200602_154225__01__01.jpg

Got some new friends. 6 off them from one day to another, must have had eggs in the soil!
IMG_20200531_222745__01__01.jpg

The next surprise: 2 new sprouts in the pot of my Citron! Do not recall any seeds put in there... Got curious, so I repotted them both... We shall se who they are in a while, hopefully!
IMG_20200526_205840__01.jpg

Back